Lessons learned from the implementation of FMPFR

Thomas Koenig

Jul 31, 2022, 10:48:37 AM7/31/22
Here's something I wrote up on implementing FMPFR. Enjoy!

This documents some of the design choices for, and lessons from, the
implementation of MPFR, reflecting both strenghs and weaknesses of
Fortran and the other tools that are used.

The aim of the project was to make MPFR easy to use for a Fortran
programmer by providing a "thick binding", using overloading, elemental
functions and subroutines and user-defined I/O to make the code look as
close as possible to "natural" Fortran code, and to facilitate
conversion of existing code to use the library.

The big strength of Fortran is that this is indeed possible.

Why generate the code with a script?

Automated generation of interfaces to C

MPFR is a large library, with more than 300 functions. Picking out those
functions which are required and translating them for hand would have
been time-consuming and error-prone. Fortunately, the interface to MPFR
is very regular, and its interfaces from the Texinfo source to the
documentation, for example

@deftypefun void mpfr_init2 (mpfr_t @var{x}, mpfr_prec_t @var{prec})

are easy to find with grep and easy to parse with a script language.
Also, functions which are not suitable to use with Fortran (for example
those containing unsigned integers) can easily be removed. In this
project, perl is used, but other script languages would be equally
suitable as long as they have associative arrays.

Generating Fortran code for similar functions

MPFR contains many functions which serve a similar purpose, with
different data types. As an example, mpfr_add_si adds a variable of type
mpfr_t and an unsigned long, and mpfr_add_d adds an mpfr_t and a double.
Also, operator overloading should work for both a+b and b+a where a is a
multi-precision variable and b is one of Fortran's types.

This is also an advantage when a change is made to these functions. It
is then enough to change one place, and not change the customary n-1
places when n would have been needed.

Lack of generics

A use would probably like to write a+3 instead of a + 3_c_long,
especially since ISO C binding is not otherwise needed on the user side.
This was solved by generating appropriate functions from the script.

Why the configure scripts and preprocessing?

While a Fortran processor that implements C binding has to provide both
c_int and c_long, these might be the same, and an interface like

interface foo
module procedure foo_int
module procedure foo_long
end interface

subroutine foo_int (a)
integer(c_int) :: a
subroutine foo_long
integer(c_long) :: a

would be rejected. There is no way known to the author do solve this
issue within the bounds of the Fortran standard.

So, there is a need for a preprocessing step. This was done using the
de-facto-standard of using the C preprocessor, but the preprocessore
needed to get its information from somewhere.

For this, autoconf and the rest of the GNU autotools suggested itself -
checking for sizes of C types is implemented there.

Autoconf is now also used for checking features (not all compilers
support user-defined I/O) and for getting information on the internal
types of MPFR. Also, the testsuite uses autotools.

For the author, autotools are not easy to use because of documentation
which is aimed at describing the features, and less towards how to reach
specific goals.

Other issues

User-defined I/O

I found user-defined I/O to be difficult. For list-directed output, it
is usable (if not implemented on all compiler versions I tried this on).
Input appears to be poorly specified, and different compiler writers
appear to have different ideas what is specified. I therefore had to
leave that out.

Generics with two interger arguments

One design issue was how to design generics where two integer arguments
(the precision and the rounding mode) could both be optional arguments,
and the compiler could differentiate between them. The solution
implemented is somewhat of a hack, but if there is a cleaner solution, I
would like to hear about it.

The constants for mpfr_rnd_t are specified as integer(int8), and the
precision can be specified as integer(c_short), integer(c_int) or
integer(c_long).

For conversion from a string to a type(fmpfr). the interface then
contains the functions

function fun_set_str (s, rnd) result(rop)
type (fmpfr) :: rop
integer (kind=int8), optional :: rnd
character(kind=c_char,len=*), intent(in) :: s
!...
function fun_set_str_long (s, prec, rnd) result(rop)
type (fmpfr) :: rop
character(kind=c_char,len=*), intent(in) :: s
integer (c_long), intent(in) :: prec
integer (kind=int8), intent(in), optional :: rnd

plus two versions for integer(c_int) and integer(c_short).

Pure functions and return codes

Many MPFR functions return a value indicating the direction of rounding.
In order to be able to use them in an elemental procedure, they have to
be declared pure. However, an optimizting compiler will remove a pure
function call like

rc = mpfr_add_si (rop&mp, op1%mp, op2, rnd_val)

when no further use is made of rc. While it is normal style in C to
discard the return value of a function, Fortran C binding does not allow
this. Therefore, the line above was replaced with

call fmpfr_add_si (rop%mp, op1%mp, op2, rnd_val)

where fmpfr_add_si is a glue function containing only the single call to
mpfr_add_si with the same arguments, which is translated into a single
jump.

ELEMENTAL and RECURSIVE

In Fortran 2008, a procedure could not both be elemental and recursive.
This restriction was lifted in Fortran 2018, but that is not implemented
by many compilers up to now.

Array intrinsics

It would have been nice to be able to use array intrinsics like MAXLOC
or CSHIFT. Unfortunately, it is not possible to write these intrinsics
in Fortran unless a version is written for each rank.

The extended C interoperability of Fortran 2018 could be used to write
such an implementation (as libgfortran shows), but this would be a much
larger job than the current implementation, and the code from
libgfortran cannot be used due to the difference in license.

Steven G. Kargl

Aug 2, 2022, 11:33:40 AM8/2/22
On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:48:34 +0000, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> Here's something I wrote up on implementing FMPFR. Enjoy!
>
> This documents some of the design choices for, and lessons from, the
> implementation of MPFR, reflecting both strenghs and weaknesses of
> Fortran and the other tools that are used.

Thomas, This looks really interesting. I'll have to give it
a workout on the weekend. I'm subscribed to the MPFR mailing
list and saw an email you sent there. Are you planning to
integrate/contribute this to MPFR? If gfortran (or other
modern compiler is available), it would be nice to have a
Fortran module is built when building MPFR?

--
steve

Thomas Koenig

Aug 2, 2022, 12:09:57 PM8/2/22
Steven G. Kargl <s...@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu> schrieb:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:48:34 +0000, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
>> Here's something I wrote up on implementing FMPFR. Enjoy!
>>
>> This documents some of the design choices for, and lessons from, the
>> implementation of MPFR, reflecting both strenghs and weaknesses of
>> Fortran and the other tools that are used.
>>

> Thomas, This looks really interesting. I'll have to give it
> a workout on the weekend.

Great! Please drop me a line if you encounter bugs.

> I'm subscribed to the MPFR mailing
> list and saw an email you sent there. Are you planning to
> integrate/contribute this to MPFR? If gfortran (or other
> modern compiler is available), it would be nice to have a
> Fortran module is built when building MPFR?

I hadn't considered that, but if there's interest, that would
indeed be cool.

Licensing should not be a problem, I can easily make this a double
license, either MIT or LGPL.

Arjen Markus

Aug 3, 2022, 3:02:34 AM8/3/22
I read this with interest, but I do not quite understand the issue with the generics with two integers. Could you explain this further via the C interface? (I did not find that documentation immediately so gave up after 60 seconds ;)). Also, with respect to array intrinsics, you could simply start with one-dimensional versions, as I imagine that will be the most common use case.

Regards,

Arjen

Thomas Koenig

Aug 3, 2022, 1:06:43 PM8/3/22
Arjen Markus <arjen.m...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> I read this with interest, but I do not quite understand the
> issue with the generics with two integers. Could you explain this
> further via the C interface? (I did not find that documentation
> immediately so gave up after 60 seconds ;)).

The point was that I wanted the user to be able to write

- fmpfr ("1.2") (default digits, default rounding)
- fmpfr ("1.2",100) (100 binary digits, default rounding)
- fmpfr ("1.2", mpfr_rndz) (default digits, round towards towards zero)
- fmpfr ("1.2", 100, mpfr_rndz) (100 binary digits, round towards zero)

and I was a little bit stuck in my head because I thought that
mpfr_rnd_t had to be an integer (it is a C enum), so I chose an 8-bit
int for it.

However, a better solution is actually rather simple: Make a
derived type and declare parameters with the values of the enum.
Duh. I think I will implement that next.

Source code compatibility yes, but not yet binary compatibility :-)

Nice thing is that I the code generation is in a script, I will
only have to change a few places.

> Also, with respect
> to array intrinsics, you could simply start with one-dimensional
> versions, as I imagine that will be the most common use case.

That would be relatively easy, but I would prefer a more general
solution. Maybe a combination of SELECT RANK and pointer rank
remapping would work for this to be doable in Fortran. Doing
this in C would be a) no fun and b) more or less a duplication
of libgfortran, which I would hate to do.

Steve Lionel

Aug 3, 2022, 7:32:29 PM8/3/22
On 8/3/2022 1:06 PM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> and I was a little bit stuck in my head because I thought that
> mpfr_rnd_t had to be an integer (it is a C enum), so I chose an 8-bit
> int for it.
>
> However, a better solution is actually rather simple: Make a
> derived type and declare parameters with the values of the enum.
> Duh. I think I will implement that next.

In Fortran 2023, you will be able to declare "real enums" that are typed
for this. See https://j3-fortran.org/doc/year/21/21-110r1.txt
--
Steve Lionel
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG5 (Fortran) Convenor

Thomas Koenig

Aug 4, 2022, 1:11:26 AM8/4/22
Steve Lionel <st...@seesignature.invalid> schrieb:
> On 8/3/2022 1:06 PM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> and I was a little bit stuck in my head because I thought that
>> mpfr_rnd_t had to be an integer (it is a C enum), so I chose an 8-bit
>> int for it.
>>
>> However, a better solution is actually rather simple: Make a
>> derived type and declare parameters with the values of the enum.
>> Duh. I think I will implement that next.
>
> In Fortran 2023, you will be able to declare "real enums" that are typed
> for this. See https://j3-fortran.org/doc/year/21/21-110r1.txt

And I am glad that this is in F2023. It's a well thought-out feature
(and not too hard to implement :-) which is very useful.