JAPI for GUI

Median Joe

May 27, 2022, 6:44:39 AM5/27/22
I've been looking around for a simple GUI and came across JAPI:

https://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~evol/japi/japi2/japi.html

Just wondered whether anyone is using it because I'm having problems getting it to work on my Linux64 box and gfortran. I know about the other gui options such as dislin and gtk-fortran, but the former is too simple and the latter too complex for my needs. JAPI seems perfect if only I can get it to work.

Median Joe

May 27, 2022, 9:19:21 AM5/27/22
I discovered that the problem is with "japi.f", which is incomplete. I know the problem isn't with the library because I tested it with the pascal compiler and the examples work with no problems.

David Duffy

May 27, 2022, 9:59:44 PM5/27/22
I have successfully used this in the past from Fortran, you'll have to grep
for JAPI in this code for the appropriate modules:

http://users.tpg.com.au/davidd02/sib-pair.f95.gz

which is compiled with -DJAPI ... -ljapi

A script testing Sib-pair's use of JAPI starts
eval (j_start) \
(define frame (j_frame "Dialog Demo")) \
(define menubar (j_menubar frame)) \
(define fil (j_menu menubar "File")) \
(define qui (j_menuitem fil "quit")) \
(define doi (j_menu menubar "Do It")) \
(define ope (j_menuitem doi "Open Dialog")) \
(define dialog (j_dialog frame "Say Hello!")) \
(define label (j_label dialog "Hello World")) \
(define clo (j_button dialog "Close")) \
(j_setflowlayout dialog 1) \
(j_pack dialog) \
(j_show frame)
eval (j_quit)

See https://genepi.qimr.edu.au/Staff/davidD/Sib-pair/Documents/Using_Sib-pair/Commands/eval.html
for the list of JAPI functions that are called.

Cheers, David Duffy

Median Joe

May 28, 2022, 2:55:42 AM5/28/22
David, many thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm using version 2.0 of japi but it should still work ok because as far as I'm aware the functions and constants didn't change between versions.
cheers,
Joe