Toward Modern Fortran Tooling and a Thriving Developer Community

Beliavsky

Sep 17, 2021, 6:57:53 PM9/17/21
The Fortran-lang group has written a paper summarizing their efforts, such as a Fortran standard library, the Fortran Package Manager, Fortran Discourse, and LFortran.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2109.07382
Toward Modern Fortran Tooling and a Thriving Developer Community
Milan Curcic, Ondřej Čertík, Brad Richardson, Sebastian Ehlert, Laurence Kedward, Arjen Markus, Ivan Pribec, Jérémie Vandenplas
Fortran is the oldest high-level programming language that remains in use today and is one of the dominant languages used for compute-intensive scientific and engineering applications. However, Fortran has not kept up with the modern software development practices and tooling in the internet era. As a consequence, the Fortran developer experience has diminished. Specifically, lack of a rich general-purpose library ecosystem, modern tools for building and packaging Fortran libraries and applications, and online learning resources, has made it difficult for Fortran to attract and retain new users. To address this problem, an open source community has formed on GitHub in 2019 and began to work on the initial set of core tools: a standard library, a build system and package manager, and a community-curated website for Fortran. In this paper we report on the progress to date and outline the next steps.
Comments: Submitted to ACM Fortran Forum

Gary Scott

Sep 17, 2021, 9:36:59 PM9/17/21
Well, Fortran fits perfectly well in the worlds most popular development
environment MS Visual Studio. Doesn't help unix/linux weenies, I know.

Thomas Koenig

Sep 18, 2021, 3:40:26 AM9/18/21
Gary Scott <garyl...@sbcglobal.net> schrieb:
Thanks, it was nice reading your posts.

Gary Scott

Sep 18, 2021, 11:23:37 AM9/18/21
Well, it wasn't intended as rude, only intended to clarify that it can
fit in perfectly well with any development environment. It doesnt have
to have one all its very own.

Gary Scott

Sep 18, 2021, 11:43:09 AM9/18/21
On 9/18/2021 10:23 AM, Gary Scott wrote:
> On 9/18/2021 2:40 AM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> Gary Scott <garyl...@sbcglobal.net> schrieb:
>>> On 9/17/2021 5:57 PM, Beliavsky wrote:
snip

>>> Well, Fortran fits perfectly well in the worlds most popular development
>>> environment MS Visual Studio.  Doesn't help unix/linux weenies, I know.
>>
>> Thanks, it was nice reading your posts.
>>
> Well, it wasn't intended as rude, only intended to clarify that it can
> fit in perfectly well with any development environment.  It doesnt have
> to have one all its very own.

Development environments should be significantly language independent
and highly tailorable. My preference is for a strong profiling
mechanism. Historically, this was a text based command language used to
specify the target language and other personalized options. If it needs
to be GUI and/or register based nowadays, sobeit. I still prefer the
older mechanism. VS is one that is highly tailorable, but way way
unnecessarily difficult to do so, and extremely prone to breaking the
tailoring with each update. That is maddening.

Thomas Jahns

Sep 30, 2021, 8:56:40 AM9/30/21
On 9/18/21 12:57 AM, Beliavsky wrote:
> The Fortran-lang group has written a paper summarizing their efforts, such as a Fortran standard library, the Fortran Package Manager, Fortran Discourse, and LFortran.

In what way is a cross-language package manager like Spack
<https://spack.io/about/>
not vastly superior to anything specific to the Fortran language?

Thomas

FortranFan

Oct 3, 2021, 11:38:01 AM10/3/21
On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 8:56:40 AM UTC-4, Thomas Jahns wrote:
> ..
> In what way is a cross-language package manager like Spack
> <https://spack.io/about/>
> not vastly superior to anything specific to the Fortran language? ..

Re: "in what way",
1) Fortran has program units, especially with MODULEs and SUBMODULEs, etc., that have certain characteristics to them that are overlooked by others.
2) Fortran has a list of build toolchains - processors/compilers, etc. - that few can match and it is mostly only paralleled by one other paradigm (C++),
3) Fortran has a legacy that is rich and varied and which it continues to support as a matter of principle (just one example: 2 source forms)

Given such considerations, a package manager specific to Fortran that places at the forefront Fortran's own needs and considerations makes sense.