INQUIRE on logical unit from NEWUNIT?

Loup Blanc

Jan 14, 2022, 10:00:53 AM1/14/22

Is it possible to use INQUIRE function on negative logical unit create with NEWUNIT ?

I use gfortran 11.2.

regards.

Arjen Markus

Jan 14, 2022, 10:18:32 AM1/14/22
That should be no problem - the fact that the unit number from NEWUNIT is negative merely means that you cannot specify such a number yourself in an OPEN statement. But otherwise I see no reason for it to behave in any other way than unit numbers that you specify explicitly.

Regards,

Arjen

Loup Blanc

Jan 14, 2022, 10:31:51 AM1/14/22
OK. I gonna check my code.
Thanks for your answer.

(Got your book at home...very precious to me. All my respect for your work!)

Gary Scott

Jan 14, 2022, 10:32:13 AM1/14/22
Should be:

Unit Specifier (UNIT=)
The unit specifier identifies the I/O unit to be accessed. It takes the
following form:
[UNIT=]io-unit
io-unit

For external files, it identifies a logical unit and is one of the
following:

A scalar integer expression that refers to a specific file, I/O device,
or pipe. If necessary, the value is converted to integer data type
before use. The integer is in the range 0 through 2,147,483,643, equal
to the value of one of the constants INPUT_UNIT, OUTPUT_UNIT or
ERROR_UNIT from intrinsic module ISO_FORTRAN_ENV, or a value returned by
a NEWUNIT= specifier from an OPEN statement.

Intel Extension(): (Units 5, 6, and 0 are associated with preconnected
units.)

An asterisk (*). This is the default (or implicit) external unit, which
is preconnected for formatted sequential access. (You can also
preconnect files by using an environment variable.)

For internal files, it identifies a scalar or array character variable
that is an internal file. An internal file is designated internal
storage space (a variable buffer) that is used with formatted (including
list-directed) sequential READ and WRITE statements.

The io-unit must be specified in a control list. If the keyword UNIT is
omitted, the io-unit must be first in the control list.

A unit number is assigned either explicitly through an OPEN statement or
implicitly by the system. If a READ statement implicitly opens a file,
the file's status is STATUS='OLD'. If a WRITE statement implicitly opens
a file, the file's status is STATUS='UNKNOWN'.

If the internal file is a scalar character variable, the file has only
one record; its length is equal to that of the variable.
If the internal file is an array character variable, the file has a
record for each element in the array; each record's length is equal to
one array element.

An internal file can be read only if the variable has been defined and a
value assigned to each record in the file. If the variable representing
the internal file is a pointer, it must be associated; if the variable
is an allocatable array, it must be currently allocated.

Before data transfer, an internal file is always positioned at the
beginning of the first character of the first record.

Gary Scott

Jan 14, 2022, 10:33:39 AM1/14/22
On 1/14/2022 9:32 AM, Gary Scott wrote:
> On 1/14/2022 9:00 AM, Loup Blanc wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to use INQUIRE function on negative logical unit create
>> with NEWUNIT ?
>>
>> I use gfortran 11.2.
>>
>> regards.
> Should be:
>
> Unit Specifier (UNIT=)
> The unit specifier identifies the I/O unit to be accessed. It takes the
> following form:
> [UNIT=]io-unit
> io-unit
>
> For external files, it identifies a logical unit and is one of the
> following:
>
> A scalar integer expression that refers to a specific file, I/O device,
> or pipe.

Edit Intel Extension

(If necessary, the value is converted to integer data type
> before use.)

Loup Blanc

Jan 14, 2022, 11:47:00 AM1/14/22
Hi Gary!