"The State of Fortran" by Laurence Kedward, etc

Lynn McGuire

Oct 17, 2022, 1:08:09 AM10/17/22
"The State of Fortran" by Laurence Kedward, etc
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359276679_The_State_of_Fortran

"A community of developers has formed to modernize the Fortran
ecosystem. In this article, we describe the high-level features of
Fortran that continue to make it a good choice for scientists and
engineers in the 21st century. Ongoing efforts include the development
of a Fortran standard library and package manager, the fostering of a
friendly and welcoming online community, improved compiler support, and
language feature development. The lessons learned are common across
contemporary programming languages and help reduce the learning curve
and increase adoption of Fortran."

Lynn

Charles Richmond

Dec 16, 2022, 4:22:09 AM12/16/22
On 10/17/2022 12:08 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "The State of Fortran" by Laurence Kedward, etc
>    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359276679_The_State_of_Fortran

Does the State of Fortran border the State of California???

If it does border California... instead of The Bear Flag Republic, the
State of Fortran would be the "...and sometimes the bear gets you!"
republic. ;-)

--

Charles Richmond

Lynn McGuire

Dec 16, 2022, 3:06:38 PM12/16/22
On 12/16/2022 3:22 AM, Charles Richmond wrote:
> On 10/17/2022 12:08 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "The State of Fortran" by Laurence Kedward, etc
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359276679_The_State_of_Fortran
>>

> Does the State of Fortran border the State of California???
>
> If it does border California... instead of The Bear Flag Republic, the
> State of Fortran would be the "...and sometimes the bear gets you!"
> republic.    ;-)

I would think that the State of Fortran would border Alaska. Or Idaho.
Fierce, rugged adventurers willing to take on a bear with a .50 caliber
pistol loaded for bear.

Lynn

jfh

Dec 16, 2022, 5:30:41 PM12/16/22
Surely the State of Fortran is really like the State of Tasmania: a remote community out on a limb by itself. But if its ferry to Melbourne is the analogue of interoperability with C then Victoria is the State of C. Or would Americans insist that because Fortran first appeared in USA the State of Fortran is Hawaii?

FortranFan

Dec 16, 2022, 7:56:57 PM12/16/22
On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 5:30:41 PM UTC-5, jfh wrote:

> ..
> Surely the State of Fortran is really like the State of Tasmania ..

The Bard's words are ever so apt .. Denmark is more like it ..

So simple and practical and promising so much more and yet *something is rotten in the State of Fortran* - ALWAYS!

No wonder then this State has characters like OP who tortured netizens for ages with blurbs about nonstandard, rotten "F77"" and zero initialization and a whole load of other inanities and never took good counsel and who now continues with the mess that F2C produces while lamenting about breaking on 457th call when the option is readily available, not that different metaphorically from the chaos and sorrow and death Claudius leaves all around Denmark ..

Lynn McGuire

Dec 17, 2022, 3:01:10 PM12/17/22
How about the State of Antarctica ?

Lynn