"LLVM's Fortran Compiler "Flang" Makes Significant Progress But Not Yet Production Ready"

Lynn McGuire

Feb 13, 2023, 5:23:47 PM2/13/23
"LLVM's Fortran Compiler "Flang" Makes Significant Progress But Not Yet
Production Ready"
https://www.phoronix.com/news/LLVM-Flang-Early-2023

"Flang can produce working executables but isn't yet deemed ready for
production-use, Fortran 95 support is mostly in place, Fortran 2003 and
newer features are a work-in-progress, and testing of the Flang support
continues to take place across a variety of Fortran software."

Flang is also claimed to be Fortran 77 complete. And 1.5X the speed of
GFortran 12 generated code using the SPEC benchmarks.

Lynn

Thomas Koenig

Feb 14, 2023, 12:53:44 AM2/14/23
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> schrieb:
That's one of the unverifiable claims because SPEC is closed source :-|

gah4

Feb 14, 2023, 5:26:21 AM2/14/23
On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 9:53:44 PM UTC-8, Thomas Koenig wrote:

(snip)

> That's one of the unverifiable claims because SPEC is closed source :-|

The programs that go into SPEC are open, but the exact way they are used
might not be.

In any case, SPEC doesn't allow claims other than the official measurements.

Kiran Chandramohan

Feb 17, 2023, 8:33:37 AM2/17/23
Sorry, for the misunderstanding here. The figures show the runtime and should be interpreted as LLVM Flang compiled code takes 1.5x the time of gfortran. We were over 2X a few months back, so we are catching up.