Bold print

db

Jan 12, 2024, 8:54:37 AMJan 12
I have a program that reads a file of birthdays and prints
out impending ones when I activate my (Linux) console.
It first prints a header

print '(/" Birthdays:")'

Is it possible to get it to print that in bold or a colour?
If yes, how?

--
Dieter Britz

Lynn McGuire

Jan 12, 2024, 11:14:29 PMJan 12
Ok, I'll bite. So what is the device that you are printing to ?

If the device is a screen then there are control codes that you must
print also.

If the device is a file then, no way. This is the reason that HTML was
invented.

Lynn

Thomas Koenig

Jan 13, 2024, 4:33:33 AMJan 13
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> schrieb:
Or rather, there are quite a number of ways, depending on how
the file is interpreted afterwards.

Writing HTML to a file and then loading it into a browser is certainly
one way. One thing I someitmes do to write out PostScript from
a Fortran program, where you could use setgrbcolor.

Or you can write out Markdown and insert HTML color.

Or you can...

db

Jan 13, 2024, 5:50:50 AMJan 13
It's to the console screen.
--
Dieter Britz

yeti

Jan 13, 2024, 12:54:13 PMJan 13
Maybe this way?

bold.f90:
program testbold
call system('tput bold')
print'("Hello, World!")'
call system('tput sgr0')
print'("Bye, World!")'
end program testbold

That's my 1st hand full of Fortran lines since the early 90s, so please
don't laugh too loud.

Using `system` and `tput` avoids needing
+ to find a Fortran (n)curses library
+ to hardcode the terminal commands
.

It worked for me with Gfortran on OpenBSD. I was too lazy to install
Gfortran on Linux while already having access to it on BSD.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

db

Jan 14, 2024, 9:11:55 AMJan 14
Thank you Yeti, that works! You have solved my problem.
--
Dieter Britz