Downloadable g95 files

jfh

Feb 10, 2021, 5:58:14 PM2/10/21
Recently someone said g95 files were no longer available. I have unearthed some old g95 tarballs that may help. See the Fortran stuff on my personal website https://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~harper for g95 source code, and 3 binaries for x86_64 Linux, Sparc Solaris and x86 Solaris.

gah4

Feb 10, 2021, 7:02:24 PM2/10/21
And for the latter two, there is a site to download Solaris:

https://www.oracle.com/solaris/solaris11/downloads/solaris-downloads.html

Gary Scott

Feb 10, 2021, 7:15:35 PM2/10/21
but should we continue use/promote something incomplete and unsupported?

Beliavsky

Feb 11, 2021, 12:07:57 PM2/11/21
G95, as its name implies, is a complete Fortran 95 compiler, and it also has a few F2003 extensions. It has a few warnings about source code that gfortran does not. If a Fortran 95 code does not work with gfortran or (the now free) Intel Fortran, g95 is useful as a 2nd or 3rd opinion. If you have an F95 code I suggest that it should compile without triggering the following g95 warnngs:

100 Unexpected end of format string in format string
112 Variable is set but never used
113 Variable is used but not set
115 Line is being truncated
137 Variable is never used and never set
146 Variable is set and never allocated
147 Variable is used and never allocated
159 Parameter is never used
163 Actual argument does not have an intent
167 PRIVATE module procedure is not invoked

You can compile with g95 -Wall -Wextra -Wimplicit-none -Werror=100,112,113,115,137,146,147,159,163,167 -ftrace=full -fbounds-check -freal=nan -fmodule-private

That said, gfortran is currently maintained, supports F2003, F2008, and much of F2018, and produces faster executables. It is my primary compiler, but I like to have g95 around.