How many years we have been programming in Fortran

Weisberg

Aug 27, 2004, 1:23:06 PM8/27/04
A recurring theme in posts on this forum, on all sorts of different
subjects, is like the following:

"... In all the years I have been programming in Fortran (35 years),
..."

Only 35 years? I have been programming in Fortran for 42 years,
starting with the IBM 1620. Also I programmed in "Mortran" on the
Johniac computer 43 years ago. We wrote our code on forms and
submitted it to Keypunch.

Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

Richard E Maine

Aug 27, 2004, 1:54:27 PM8/27/04
weisb...@yahoo.com (Weisberg) writes:

> I have been programming in Fortran for 42 years,
> starting with the IBM 1620. Also I programmed in "Mortran" on the
> Johniac computer 43 years ago. We wrote our code on forms and
> submitted it to Keypunch.
>
> Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
> active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

You've got me beat easily. My first was in 1968, which would be...(if
I can still do arithmetic :-)) 36 years.

But I didn't have anything nice like a keypunch to work with for
that machine. IIRC it was some kind of GE machine somewhere
across the country (Texas? I was in Virginia). Input was by
teletype and paper tape. Cards were a big improvement over
paper tape IMO.

I didn't see a 1620 until late 1969. It was "neat" because I was
allowed to actually run the machine myself. I'm not sure I had
ever even actually seen any of the previous machines I worked with.
Of course, in 1969, the 1620 was a bit old...which was probably
why freshmen like myself could touch it.

email: my first.last at org.domain | experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

beli...@127.0.0.1

Aug 27, 2004, 3:03:02 PM8/27/04

weisb...@yahoo.com (Weisberg) wrote:

>Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
>active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

On June 30, 2004 August Miller said he had 43+ years of Fortran experience,
so you are tied for "most experienced" AFAIK.

Message 49 in thread
From: August Miller (ami...@dirac.nmsu.edu)
Subject: Re: What can be done in FORTRAN that cannot be done in C/C++?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: 2004-06-30 08:01:09 PST

As they say, FWIW:

In 16 years of doing a few things in various flavors of C, and 43+
years of FORTRAN, I have yet to find a C or C++ compiler which
can evaluate (without further ado) the equivalent of

Z3=Z1*SIN(Z2)

where all the variables are complex numbers.

Beowulf

Aug 27, 2004, 5:48:52 PM8/27/04

40 years. Started with Fortran II on IBM7094, then switched to Fortran IV.

J. Arkuszewski

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Aug 27, 2004, 7:29:26 PM8/27/04
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:48:52 +0200, Beowulf <ja...@2wire.ch>
wrote in <412fac4f$0$332$4d4e...@read.news.ch.uu.net>:

I can only claim a first-year Applied Maths course at ANU in 1970.
Very brief (about 3 lectures). One exercise was something like, given the
drag coefficient of a boat and its power output calculate the maximum
ground speed against a given river flow. The lecturer obviously expected
us to use a loop construct to simulate the dynamic situation until an
equilibrium was approached. He was a bit put out when I solved the
differential equation first, and coded its solution in a fraction of the
CPU time of the iterative approach.

There was more in 3rd Year, IIRC, then I really jumped into it in
my PhD, modelling electron transport in gases.

<egogoogles for 'reid ramp model'>

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Gary L. Scott

Aug 27, 2004, 8:04:20 PM8/27/04
Weisberg wrote:

> A recurring theme in posts on this forum, on all sorts of different
> subjects, is like the following:
>
> "... In all the years I have been programming in Fortran (35 years),
> ..."
>
> Only 35 years? I have been programming in Fortran for 42 years,
> starting with the IBM 1620. Also I programmed in "Mortran" on the
> Johniac computer 43 years ago. We wrote our code on forms and
> submitted it to Keypunch.

Gosh, I feel so YOUNG!

> Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
> active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

--

Gary Scott
mailto:gary...@ev1.net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

Why are there two? God only knows.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner...
Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote. - Thomas Jefferson

Brian Salter-Duke

Aug 27, 2004, 8:38:42 PM8/27/04

I started programming in Mercury Autocode almost exactly 44 years ago
and then moved to Elliott Autocide and Algol before learning Fortran in
about 1965. I'm still writing Fortran code as well as playing with C,
C++, Perl etc.

--
Brian Salter-Duke Humpty Doo, Nr Darwin, Australia
My real address is b_duke(AT)octa4(DOT)net(DOT)au

James Giles

Aug 28, 2004, 12:02:50 AM8/28/04
Of interest to those in this thread, the Fortran language itself
is 50 years old this year. I know it wasn't released until 1957,
but work began in 1954. I have a copy of the first preliminary
report memo dated Nov. 10, 1954. It's interesting to see the
kind of things that were different in the first concept and what
kinds of things remained the same.

Is there any commemoration of the event contemplated?

--
J. Giles

that there are no obvious deficiencies." -- C. A. R. Hoare

E P Chandler

Aug 28, 2004, 12:12:45 AM8/28/04
weisb...@yahoo.com (Weisberg) wrote in message news:<78f60ba9.0408...@posting.google.com>...

> A recurring theme in posts on this forum, on all sorts of different
> subjects, is like the following:
>
> "... In all the years I have been programming in Fortran (35 years),
> ..."
>
> Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
> active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

I learned Fortran in 62 or 63 as part of an experiment in "new math"
when a professor at a local university let us write programs on coding
forms. He had the programs keypunched and run. The next week we got
the printouts back. Of course this was not _professional programming_
- we were in grade school.

Jan Hengeveld

Aug 28, 2004, 3:12:49 PM8/28/04

"Weisberg" <weisb...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

I am surprised, nobody talks about DEC PDP computers.
I started in 1965, programming ALGOL-60 on the EL-X8
I think in 1968, our institute bought a DEC PDP-9, serial number 292, on
which I programmed in fortran-IV and of course assembler.
Later I had PDP-11 and lots of PDP-11/03

Donald H. Gudehus

Aug 29, 2004, 3:55:34 AM8/29/04
I took a short course in Fortran in the summer of 1961 at MIT. The
computer was an early IBM (70x series).

Donald

leslie

Aug 29, 2004, 5:18:18 AM8/29/04
:
: Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
: active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?
:

42 years beats my 38 years.

My Fortran experience, starting with Fortran IV, started in 1966 at
TRW Systems on IBM 7094, and then the Univac 1108.

Prior to that, I attended the University of Houston where MAD was
the first language. Computer Science was taught by the Math Dept,
and the faculty included Dr. Elliot I. Organick.

After TRW, I worked for Shell for 25 years where I wrote and maintained
Fortran on Univac 1100s, Xerox XDS 940s, Honeywell GE/PAC 4000s, Modcomps,
and VAXes.

--Jerry Leslie
Note: les...@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Bill Bertram

Aug 29, 2004, 9:30:44 PM8/29/04

"Weisberg" <weisb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

My first programming was done in 1961 using Fortran II on an IBM 1620 at,
what was then, the Australian Atomic Energy Commission. I have been actively
Fortranning ever since and still get paid for doing it.

Cheers,
Bill.

David Ham

Aug 30, 2004, 5:02:30 AM8/30/04
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:29:26 +0000 (UTC)
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

> I can only claim a first-year Applied Maths course at ANU in
> 1970.
> Very brief (about 3 lectures). One exercise was something like, given
> the drag coefficient of a boat and its power output calculate the
> maximum ground speed against a given river flow. The lecturer
> obviously expected us to use a loop construct to simulate the dynamic
> situation until an equilibrium was approached. He was a bit put out
> when I solved the differential equation first, and coded its solution
> in a fraction of the CPU time of the iterative approach.
>
> There was more in 3rd Year, IIRC, then I really jumped into it
> in
> my PhD, modelling electron transport in gases.

I'm afraid it's rather dropped off the curriculum at ANU. I only started
to write Fortran in honours year and I tought myself with the help of
the great M&R. Since that was 2000 I am definitely not in the running in
this thread :-).

(BTW Ivan, you may or may not have heard but Bernhard Neumann finally
passed away at the end of 2002 - and he was still riding his bike into
university most days not long before!)

David

Kevin G. Rhoads

Aug 30, 2004, 8:56:40 AM8/30/04
>Only 35 years? I have been programming in Fortran for 42 years,
>starting with the IBM 1620. Also I programmed in "Mortran" on the
>Johniac computer 43 years ago. We wrote our code on forms and
>submitted it to Keypunch.

Well ahead of me for years, but I keypunched my own. Started
with FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL and assembler on CDC-6400 at Lehigh
in Summer 1968 (I was in High School, Lehigh was changing over
from a GE-225 to the CDC-6400 and needed temporary help during
the transition. I was a gofer, kept the card reader fed and the
separated printouts &c. My pay was all the compute time I
could use.

Also some experience with two PDP-8 machines (both 8i's IIRC)
that mostly in assembler. Some very limited IBM 1620 experience
and a couple of IBM 360's running OS/PCP or OS/MFT (FORTRAN G and H,
and a little Watfor, PL/I, COBOL and BAL.)

Then in 1969/70, while a freshman at MIT, I wrote a guide to hacking
OS/360 (I still have the card deck, no lister though) -- but that's
another story ...

So, Fortran, a little over 1/3 century -- and still going strong,
MS Fortran 5.1 for 16 bit stuff, OpenWatcom and DVF/CVF mostly for
32 bit stuff.

James Parsly

Aug 30, 2004, 9:21:03 AM8/30/04
Alas, I am but a young whippersnapper, having started with an
IBM 1620 in 1975 at Oak Ridge High School. I can remember doing a 10,000
step integration problem that took about 45 minutes; My father took it into
work
at ORNL and ran it on the IBM mainframe and it took about 17 seconds.

Bonus points if you can remember what this did:

070000700007

Ken Plotkin

Aug 31, 2004, 1:12:45 AM8/31/04
On 27 Aug 2004 10:23:06 -0700, weisb...@yahoo.com (Weisberg) wrote:

[snip]

>Only 35 years? I have been programming in Fortran for 42 years,
>starting with the IBM 1620. Also I programmed in "Mortran" on the

[snip]

You've got me beat. But you made me realize I've just hit my 40th
anniversary. I learned Fortran in the summer of 1964, as an
undergraduate. Not a regular course - just a 3 or 4 day quickie
taught by the head of the computer department to a group of
engineering aids and grad students.

I don't go back to the really old machines, though. The school had an
IBM 7040, IBM's first all-transistor machine. I missed all the fun of
drum memory, etc., that the old timers used to talk about in the
keypunch room.

>Who has been programming in Fortran the longest and is still mentally
>active enough to follow Internet newsgroups?

One needs to be mentally active to follow newsgroups??? :-)

Ken Plotkin

Eddie Burdak

Aug 31, 2004, 8:15:36 AM8/31/04
"beli...@aol.com" <beli...@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message news:<412f8566$1...@127.0.0.1>...

<Snip>

> As they say, FWIW:
>
> In 16 years of doing a few things in various flavors of C, and 43+
> years of FORTRAN, I have yet to find a C or C++ compiler which
> can evaluate (without further ado) the equivalent of
>
> Z3=Z1*SIN(Z2)
>
> where all the variables are complex numbers.

Out of curiosity, how about something a little simpler

A=B**2

Where A and B are not even complex

Maybe its me - but I thought C had to go away and use a power function.

Rgds

Eddie

beli...@127.0.0.1

Aug 31, 2004, 9:14:45 AM8/31/04

I think B**2 in Fortran is slightly more readable than pow(B,2) in C, but
a bigger problem with pow is that it handles an integer base or exponent
by converting to floating-point numbers. C++ does allow for integer exponents,
but I don't see a function taking an integer base.

Good Fortran compilers evaluate A**B intelligently for all types of A and
B.

From http://www.dinkumware.com/htm_cpl/math.html#pow , the C and C++ exponentiation
functions are

double pow(double x, double y);
float pow(float x, float y); [C++ only]
long double pow(long double x, long double y); [C++ only]
double pow(double x, int y); [C++ only]
float pow(float x, int y); [C++ only]
long double pow(long double x, int y); [C++ only]
float powf(float x, float y); [required with C99]
long double powl(long double x,
long double y); [required with C99]

glen herrmannsfeldt

Aug 31, 2004, 11:26:16 AM8/31/04
beli...@aol.com wrote:

(someone wrote)

>>>In 16 years of doing a few things in various flavors of C, and 43+
>>>years of FORTRAN, I have yet to find a C or C++ compiler which
>>>can evaluate (without further ado) the equivalent of

>>>Z3=Z1*SIN(Z2)

>>>where all the variables are complex numbers.

Rumors are the C99 supports complex numbers reasonably
well, but compilers are slow in arriving.

>>Out of curiosity, how about something a little simpler

>>A=B**2

>>Where A and B are not even complex

>>Maybe its me - but I thought C had to go away and use a power function.

Well, some do something like

#define SQ(x) ((x)*(x))

which is a little better than using pow().

It depends on the compiler recognizing the common subexpression
if the argument is an expression. I have complained about
this a number of times when the discussion has come up in
comp.lang.c (which I don't read very often now).

I don't know what C99 has to help this case.

-- glen

Weisberg

Aug 31, 2004, 2:48:00 PM8/31/04
> In 16 years of doing a few things in various flavors of C, and 43+
> years of FORTRAN, I have yet to find a C or C++ compiler which
> can evaluate (without further ado) the equivalent of
>
> Z3=Z1*SIN(Z2)
>
> where all the variables are complex numbers.

Does C# count? It generates native machine-language code.

Complex c1 = new Complex(0.0, 1.0);
Complex c2 = new Complex(3.0, 4.0);
Complex c3 = c1 * Complex.Sin(c2);

There are several class libraries for complex math. One is at
http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/complex_math.asp

Dave Thompson

Sep 7, 2004, 11:03:00 PM9/7/04
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:26:16 GMT, glen herrmannsfeldt
<g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> beli...@aol.com wrote:
>
> (someone wrote)

> Rumors are the C99 supports complex numbers reasonably
> well, but compilers are slow in arriving.

C++(98) also requires complex, actually in template syntax as
std::complex<T>, and even my creaky g++ 2.95.8 handles it fine.

> >>Out of curiosity, how about something a little simpler
>
> >>A=B**2
>
> >>Where A and B are not even complex
>
> >>Maybe its me - but I thought C had to go away and use a power function.

Well, you have to *code* it as a call to pow(). The compiler would be
*permitted* to recognize a constant integer, or any integer, as the
second argument and special-case it, but I don't know any that do.
Though if there is any, I'd bet modestly it's icc.

> Well, some do something like
>
> #define SQ(x) ((x)*(x))
>
> which is a little better than using pow().

Some *programmers* that is, not compilers. And it's wrong if the
(actual) argument x has side effects; to cover that case in C99, many
earlier C's as an extension, or C++ you can make it an inline function
-- but in C only for one specific type, in C++ you can overload.

> It depends on the compiler recognizing the common subexpression
> if the argument is an expression. I have complained about
> this a number of times when the discussion has come up in
> comp.lang.c (which I don't read very often now).
>
> I don't know what C99 has to help this case.

Standardized 'inline' functions as above, if you want to go that way.
But nothing builtin for integer powers.

C99 does have (finally?!) single/double/extended variants of math
functions, optionally accessible by generic names and also the complex
variants where applicable, so you're not stuck always doing double
even when it's more (or less!) precision than you need. And an
official, but optional, "IEEE" (60559) binding.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net