Ann: 8th 21.07 released

Ron AARON

Aug 31, 2021, 1:12:25 PM8/31/21
New feature: flexible, nestable, complex grid-layout.

Various fixes and updates. Details here:

https://8th-dev.com/forum/index.php/topic,2367.msg13783.html

Brian Fox

Sep 1, 2021, 10:46:15 AM9/1/21
Hi Ron. You have created a modern iteration of Forth that has many of
bells and whistles that people say are absent in standard Forth.

I find it to be a noble albeit daunting undertaking. Bravo!

Could you update us on how the world is reacting to 8th?
Do many of your customers even know about Forth before trying 8th?
Just curious about the uptake of a new alternative language in a
world made of Python, Swift, Rust etc.

Ron AARON

Sep 1, 2021, 11:49:18 AM9/1/21
On 01/09/2021 17:46, Brian Fox wrote:
> On 2021-08-31 1:12 PM, Ron AARON wrote:
>> New feature: flexible, nestable, complex grid-layout.
>>
>> Various fixes and updates. Details here:
>>
>> https://8th-dev.com/forum/index.php/topic,2367.msg13783.html

> Hi Ron. You have created a modern iteration of Forth that has many of
> bells and whistles that people say are absent in standard Forth.
>
> I find it to be a noble albeit daunting undertaking. Bravo!

Thank you. Not sure about the 'noble' part, but it certainly is
'daunting'.

> Could you update us on how the world is reacting to 8th?
> Do many of your customers even know about Forth before trying 8th?
> Just curious about the uptake of a new alternative language in a
> world made of Python, Swift, Rust etc.

Interesting question. So "the world" mostly doesn't know about 8th, as
far as I can tell. I've got a few thousand users, not going to unseat
Python any time soon.

Of the users who are active on the forum or who email me (only a small
portion of total users), I'd say probably a third or so of them are
familiar with Forth, based on the questions they don't ask.