Dr. C.H. Ting

Anton Ertl

Jun 2, 2022, 9:55:25 AMJun 2
Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday (California time; I guess this
means PDT), and provides the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/forth2020/posts/5142240509190674/

I do not know Ting personally, only through his work, in particular
his publications like "System's Guide to fig-Forth", "Inside F83"
(which is, surprisingly, organized completely differently from
"System's Guide to fig-Forth"), "Footsteps in an Empty Valley".

He is, of course, well-known for eForth, a version of Bill Muench's
bForth reduced for education purposes.

- anton
New standard: https://forth-standard.org/
EuroForth 2022: http://www.euroforth.org/ef22/cfp.html

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 2, 2022, 10:59:59 AMJun 2
Ken Boak had posted it yesterday in his Minimalist facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/minimalistcomputing

and see Ting's facebook account, there is a hint as well.
https://www.facebook.com/chenhanson.ting

Apart from this I have not seen more yet.

I wonder who will write an obituary and where it will be found.

Very sad to hear this. Condolences to his family.
We really lost a Forth hero who did very much work to promote Forth.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 2, 2022, 11:52:17 AMJun 2
The relevant post on Ting's facebook page seems to have been removed now.

Anton Ertl

Jun 2, 2022, 1:11:51 PMJun 2
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> writes:
>On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 14:55:25 UTC+1, Anton Ertl wrote:
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/forth2020/posts/5142240509190674/

A private group.

>https://www.facebook.com/groups/minimalistcomputing

Another private group

>https://www.facebook.com/chenhanson.ting

Wants me to create a Facebook account.

I was trying to falsify my impression of facebook links, but
unfortunately the impression was reinforced.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 2, 2022, 1:33:35 PMJun 2
I am part of the Minimalist Group, where Ken Boark posted it yesterday.
Looking around I ended up un Ting's private facebook page.
It seems nobody knows more.

Zbig

Jun 2, 2022, 4:27:37 PMJun 2
> Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
> Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday (California time; I guess this
> means PDT)
Really a pity.
I managed to buy three of his books from him — it was
before so-called „pandemic” — but then contact to him
was lost, his e-mail address was no longer valid and I
never found out his new e-mail address (although I was
trying to google for him for quite a few times). So maybe
he was present on Facebook — but I'm not there.

R.I.P.

Stephen Pelc

Jun 2, 2022, 5:07:22 PMJun 2
On 2 Jun 2022 at 12:03:22 CEST, "Anton Ertl" <Anton Ertl> wrote:

> Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
> Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday (California time; I guess this
> means PDT), and provides the following link:

So sorry to hear this. Ting was one of the old-timers who retained his
enthusiasm for new things.

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/forth2020/posts/5142240509190674/

Unfortunately I cannot read the page, probably because "Peter" has banned me
from the group.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, ste...@vfxforth.com
MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd. - More Real, Less Time

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 3, 2022, 3:52:08 AMJun 3
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 15:59:59 UTC+1, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
Just to make sure that people are aware of the amount of work that Ting did for Forth.
Copied from the link :

http://forth.org/OffeteStore/OffeteStore.html

Offete Store
Here is a list of pdf document files and zipped software items from Offete Store which are now available for download.
Please contact the author, CH Ting, if you have any questions about this material.

1 Inside Forth - Fourth Edition - 2013 - pdf
2 Systems Guide to figForth - Third Edition - 2013 - pdf
3 eForth and Zen - Second Edition - 2013 - pdf
4 Footsteps in an Empty Valley - NC4000 Single Chip Forth Engine
- Third Expanded Edition - 1988 - pdf
5 Footsteps in an Empty Valley - NC4000 Single Chip Forth Engine
- Fourth Edition - 2017 - pdf
6 F# - 241 - zip
7 ADUC Compiler - 520 - zip
8 eForth for SAM7 Chip - 2008 - zip
9 cEF, eForth in C, Version 1.1 - 2009 - zip
10 cEF, eForth in C - 2009 - zip
11 eForth for STM8S - 2010 - zip
12 eP32 Microcontroller Design in VHDL - 2012 - zip
13 328eForth for Arduino Uno - 2011- zip
14 eForth as an Arduino Sketch, Version 2.0 - 2011 - zip
15 eP16 Microcontroller Design in VHDL - 2012 - zip
16 430eForth for LaunchPad - 2012 - zip
17 STM32 eForth - 2014 - zip
18 Zen of LaunchPad - Version 4.3 - 2015 - zip
19 86eForth - Version 2.03 - 2016 - zip
20 ep8080 - 2006 - zip
21 PDP1 Design Workshop - 2016 - zip
22 86eForth - Version 5.2 - 2016 - zip
23 espForth for ESP8266 - zip
24 ceForth_23 - zip
25 esp32Forth Serial Monitor - zip
26 esp32Forth Web Browser - zip
27 esp32Forth Macro Assembler - zip
28 ceForth_33 Macro Assembler - zip

none albert

Jun 3, 2022, 7:55:37 AMJun 3
In article <2022Jun...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
logging-data="25800"; mail-complaints-to="ab...@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+D0WzRlMSp+/w1c2lbjjUL",
Anton Ertl <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
>Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday (California time; I guess this
>means PDT), and provides the following link:

I was happy to meet Ting more or less in person, on the forth2020
zoom session. He was kind enough to explain the origin of the Chinese
wisdom at the end of "more on NC4000 vol 3 ".
One of the last lectures was about defining Forth in C++. He explained
how he could take advantage of the abstraction/oo of C++.
He certainly was up to date.

The latest session makes me worry about his health, his voice was
weak, and the environment was like a hospital.
He was a forceful promoter of Forth, he will be missed.

>- anton

Groetjes Albert
--
"in our communism country Viet Nam, people are forced to be
alive and in the western country like US, people are free to

Hans Bezemer

Jun 4, 2022, 7:59:09 AMJun 4
On Friday, June 3, 2022 at 1:55:37 PM UTC+2, none albert wrote:
The significance of C.H.Ting for the Forth community cannot be
overstated. It's another of the great minds whose guidance will be
dearly missed in the future.

Hans Bezemer

Brian Fox

Jun 5, 2022, 9:38:32 AMJun 5
I will treasure my copy of Footsteps in an Empty Valley even more.
His memory is an inspiration for those of us left here to carry the torch a little further.

Paul Rubin

Jun 5, 2022, 9:52:53 PMJun 5
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
> Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
> Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday

I am sad to hear this: I never met him in person, but in principle I had
some chances to do so. I thought Inside F83 was a fascinating book as
it showed the level of systems programming that the small CP/M Forths
were capable of. He worked on a lot of other interesting things too,
not always sensible, but always interesting. RIP Dr. Ting.

Wayne morellini

Jun 5, 2022, 9:58:18 PMJun 5
Thank you Anton. I was trying to contact him only last month, on if any of his designs were in production. My condolences to the family. He will be missed.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 6, 2022, 1:53:16 AMJun 6
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 14:55:25 UTC+1, Anton Ertl wrote:
Dirk just sent me an update of his information.

Dear Dr. Chen-Hanson Ting, you will be missed, RIP
one of the pillows of the Forth community:

Es hat fast eine Woche gedauert, bevor ueber Google etwas zu erfahren ist:
( It nearly took a week, until something could be found via google )

Obituary for Mr. Chen-Hanson Ting
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Chen-Hanson Ting on May 30, 2022, in San Mateo, California.
Mr. Ting was born in China and is survived by a spouse and children.

Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Skylawn Funeral Home & Memorial Park, Hwy 92 at Skyline Blvd., San Mateo, CA 94402

https://www.skylawnmemorialpark.com/obituaries/Chen-Hanson-Ting/#!/Obituary

Hier eine weitere Notiz:
( And here a further note: )

Chen-Hanson Ting Obituary
Here is Chen-Hanson Ting’s obituary. Please accept Echovita’s sincere condolences.
It is always difficult saying goodbye to someone we love and cherish. Family and friends must say goodbye to their beloved Chen-Hanson Ting (San Mateo, California), who passed away at the age of 82, on May 30, 2022. You can send your sympathy in the guestbook provided and share it with the family.
He is survived by spouse and children.
https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/ca/san-mateo/chen-hanson-ting-14752043

Gruss,
Dirk.

Anton Ertl

Jun 6, 2022, 5:24:51 AMJun 6
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> writes:
>Dear Dr. Chen-Hanson Ting, you will be missed, RIP
>one of the pillows of the Forth community:

As well as one of the pillars:-).

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 6, 2022, 7:03:11 AMJun 6
UUUPS; Freudian Slip; meant pillars, sorry.
This was written before I had my first coffee ...

Luca Saiu

Jun 6, 2022, 3:25:06 PMJun 6
On 2022-06-02 at 10:03 +0000, Anton Ertl wrote:

> Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday

I am very sorry. I also know some of his work, which was brilliant.
Condolences to his friends and family.

--
Luca Saiu -- http://ageinghacker.net
I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no

meff

Jun 7, 2022, 2:07:58 AMJun 7
On 2022-06-02, Anton Ertl <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Dirk Bruehl reports Peter (no other name given) reports that
> Dr. C.H.Ting passed away on Tuesday (California time; I guess this
> means PDT), and provides the following link:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/forth2020/posts/5142240509190674/
>
> I do not know Ting personally, only through his work, in particular
> his publications like "System's Guide to fig-Forth", "Inside F83"
> (which is, surprisingly, organized completely differently from
> "System's Guide to fig-Forth"), "Footsteps in an Empty Valley".
>
> He is, of course, well-known for eForth, a version of Bill Muench's
> bForth reduced for education purposes.
>
> - anton

RIP Dr. Ting and condolences to his family. His work made me first
discover Forth and his ethusiasm for expressing his ideas with new
technologies helped me not write Forth off.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jun 7, 2022, 2:54:03 AMJun 7
He made me play with quite a few Forth variants, and some still to look at.
Like Forth in Javascript.

He made me try Forth on the Arduino, and to see how easy it is for anybody
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:430eforth:start

And the eForth Overview Code I formatted for the fun of it on ONE PAGE
- ok, it is a large page, but on my wall now
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:projects:430eforth:start

Ting covered so many aspects of Forth. RIP

MIchael Kalus

Jul 27, 2022, 5:10:02 PMJul 27
Haven't been able to find out anything about Ting's funeral yet.
Ting lived on the other side of the States, right across the country and with the Atlantic between us. So it's hard for me to figure that out.
I heard that cemeteries are rare there, unlike here in Germany? Maybe his remains are in an urn on the way to Taiwan?
If there is a grave that can be visited please let me know.
mk

Rick C

Jul 27, 2022, 7:33:58 PMJul 27
Cemeteries are not rare here. They are very common and very popular. If people choose to be cremated, it's not because there is not enough space for cemeteries.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Jurgen Pitaske

Jul 28, 2022, 3:07:36 AMJul 28
It seems, that the family wants to keep it it to themselves - what I can understand.
It is just unfortunate, that there is nobody here in the Forth community to tell us at least this.
I would appreciate to know where he finally rests, to relate him to a place.
This is the link I found
https://www.skylawnmemorialpark.com/obituaries/Chen-Hanson-Ting/#!/TributeWall

A.T. Murray

Aug 13, 2022, 2:17:05 AM (5 days ago) Aug 13
I am proud to have bought some of Dr. Ting's books on Forth.

Arthur T. Murray