Forth Programmable RPN Calculator

dxforth

Mar 12, 2023, 11:55:27 AM3/12/23
Ok, so it's written in C++ but hey ...

https://github.com/zooxo/iv

Based on an Arduino Pro Micro (ATmega32U4) but a UNO or NANO should work too.

Youtube video here:

https://youtu.be/m1aFRhqvuLM

There's also a smaller version for an ATtiny85:

https://github.com/zooxo/ivt

Lorem Ipsum

Mar 12, 2023, 2:19:53 PM3/12/23
Cute. Impressive even. I haven't used a hand held calculator in years and years. I used to have one in the car to calculate gas mileage, but the car does that for me now.

I have an RPN calculator on the computer that I use often. It works very well, and allows user programmable keys. But it is not maintained by the author anymore and needs a few UI improvements. The help stopped working with Windows 7 or something, that's on Microsoft though. But I can't control the size of the fonts and they have gotten very hard to see as I've gotten older. I did contact the author a couple of times. He's a nice guy, but is not remotely interested in doing any changes and won't release the source. Too bad. I would like to fix the UI issues and be able to use it for another couple of decades.

Excalibur 2.01

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

minf...@arcor.de

Mar 12, 2023, 4:04:46 PM3/12/23
FWIW there is a cute HP15C calculator online simulation:
https://free15c.com/web/hp15c.html

Hit CTRL-pluskey on your keyboard to enlarge it to suit your eyesight

Lorem Ipsum

Mar 12, 2023, 6:55:28 PM3/12/23
Yeah, looks nice. But I don't see conversion constants. Excalibur has a whole page of buttons for conversions, 36 keys! Very useful... if you can read them.

Maybe I'll write my own in Forth someday. But I've yet to find a Forth with good UI control... not that I've looked at every single one.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

dxforth

Mar 12, 2023, 9:27:34 PM3/12/23
On 13/03/2023 5:19 am, Lorem Ipsum wrote:

> I have an RPN calculator on the computer that I use often. It works very well, and allows user
> programmable keys. But it is not maintained by the author anymore and needs a few UI improvements.
> ... I did contact the author a couple of times. He's a nice guy, but is not remotely interested in
> doing any changes and won't release the source. Too bad.
Source code is like the runic parchment in the Tourneur film 'Night of the Demon' -
pass it on before the devil comes to claim it. The guy might be doing you a favour.
Always suspected there was something diabolical about GPL :)