Store versus comma (! vs ,)

tom d

Jan 7, 2022, 12:22:23 PM1/7/22
What is the difference between a ! and a , ? Both store the top of the stack, right?

David Schultz

Jan 7, 2022, 12:59:24 PM1/7/22
On 1/7/22 11:22 AM, tom d wrote:
> What is the difference between a ! and a , ? Both store the top of the stack, right?

'!' takes two arguments, data and address.
',' has just one, the data. The address used is HERE, which gets
incremented afterwards.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

tom d

Jan 7, 2022, 4:13:03 PM1/7/22
Thanks David,

I keep forgetting there is a dictionary stack like object and the data stack. I using pForth on Windows 10 by the way. Any suggestions for other Windows versions?

Tom

meff

Jan 7, 2022, 11:13:48 PM1/7/22
On 2022-01-07, tom d <tomdow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep forgetting there is a dictionary stack like object and the data stack. I using pForth on Windows 10 by the way. Any suggestions for other Windows versions?

There's Win32Forth and SwiftForth, though I don't use Windows myself so I
wouldn't know how good they are.

tom d

Jan 10, 2022, 11:06:22 PM1/10/22
Thank you much.