gforth startup on Linux GUI oddity

Buzz McCool

Jun 1, 2022, 12:26:04 PM6/1/22
I like to have gforth start up and run in a window when I log into my
Debian Linux PC. I just put the path to gforth in the KDE Plasma GUI
startup menu and tell it to run in a terminal. Seemed to work fine with
the old 0.7.3 gforth. I recently changed to the latest gforth and most
often (but not always) got wacky output like:

Gforth 0.7.9_20220428
Authors: Anton Ertl, Bernd Paysan, Jens Wilke et al., ...
Copyright © 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later ...
Gforth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `license'
Type `help' for basic help
11;rgb:2323/2626/2727
*the terminal*:1:1: error: Undefined word
>>>11;rgb:2323/2626/2727<<<
Backtrace:
kernel/int.fs:321:10: 0 $7FBDED6A9430 throw
ok

Changing the startup call from

/usr/bin/gforth

/usr/bin/sleep 5 && /usr/bin/gforth

seems to resolve the issue, so it looks like the new gforth is too fast,
or is something else going on?

Buzz

Anton Ertl

Jun 1, 2022, 12:59:52 PM6/1/22
The development version uses ANSI escape sequences to show the status
line at the bottom, while gforth-0.7.3 does not show a status line.

My guess is that the initialization of the terminal is not complete
when the status line is printed, leading to some hickup in the ANSI
escape sequence processing.

You can test this theory by turning the startup call into

/usr/bin/gforth -e "' noop is status"

This turns off the status line. If you still have the same problem,
the theory is wrong. If the problem is gone, you have an alternative
workaround.

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

buzz_mccool

Jun 2, 2022, 11:08:39 AM6/2/22
On 6/1/22 09:41, Anton Ertl wrote:
.
.
.
> My guess is that the initialization of the terminal is not complete
> when the status line is printed, leading to some hickup in the ANSI
> escape sequence processing.
>
> You can test this theory by turning the startup call into
>
> /usr/bin/gforth -e "' noop is status"
>
> This turns off the status line. If you still have the same problem,
> the theory is wrong. If the problem is gone, you have an alternative
> workaround.

Well I don't have the same problem, I now have a different problem. :-)

Now gforth doesn't open at all on startup. When I try the above in a
terminal I get:

$ gforth -e "' noop is status"

in file included from *the terminal*:0:-94500100095743:
*the terminal*:-1:11: error: Undefined word
' noop is >>>status<<<
Backtrace:
kernel/int.fs:598:33: 0 $7FBE7C1E2AA0 throw
kernel/int.fs:602:48: 1 $7FBE7C1E2B50 '-error
kernel/comp.fs:732:17: 2 $7FBE7C1EB618 (')

Buzz

Anton Ertl

Jun 2, 2022, 12:41:24 PM6/2/22
buzz_mccool <buzz_...@yahoo.com> writes:
>*the terminal*:-1:11: error: Undefined word
>' noop is >>>status<<<

Sorry, my mistake. It should be

/usr/bin/gforth -e "' noop is .status"
New standard: https://forth-standard.org/
EuroForth 2022: http://www.euroforth.org/ef22/cfp.html

Buzz McCool

Jun 6, 2022, 1:29:59 PM6/6/22
On 6/2/2022 9:39 AM, Anton Ertl wrote:
> buzz_mccool <buzz_...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> *the terminal*:-1:11: error: Undefined word
>> ' noop is >>>status<<<
>
> Sorry, my mistake. It should be
>
> /usr/bin/gforth -e "' noop is .status"

Anton -

Thank you for the above workaround.

I do like the status bar so I think I'll go back to using:

/usr/bin/sleep 5 && /usr/bin/gforth

I appreciate you responding so quickly.

Buzz