OT: Cutting off your nose...

Jon Nicoll

Sep 20, 2021, 6:07:32 AM9/20/21
For reasons unconnected with Forth or this Usenet group, I was musing on the
behaviour sometimes known as 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

I came across this nice alternative way of thinking about it:

"Valuing being right over being effective"

I wonder - is this something you ever trip up on? Why might you choose to
change this? How would you know if you had discretion or 'agency' about this?

Regards, J^n

dxforth

Sep 22, 2021, 10:18:39 PM9/22/21
Can you choose to not be right? OTOH attempting to influence is a political
act - the merit and risks of which only you can decide. Moore only ever took
potshots at ANS after leaving. He made no attempt to sink it - something he
couldn't achieve anyway given its following.