Try online eFORTH

Marc Petremann

Mar 10, 2023, 9:20:44 AM3/10/23
Hello,
Try the web version of eFORTH:
https://eforth.arduino-forth.com/web-eforth/index/

Jurgen Pitaske

Mar 10, 2023, 11:11:50 AM3/10/23
Thanks for posting.
i gave it a quick 5 3 + .
and looked at the word list.
For my level of Forth I have to wait for access to a word list with explanations.

Hans Bezemer

Mar 10, 2023, 11:25:39 AM3/10/23
On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 5:11:50 PM UTC+1, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> For my level of Forth I have to wait for access to a word list with explanations.
Try the manual. https://eforth.arduino-forth.com/index/glossaire/

It worked for a lot of people!

Hans Bezemer

Jurgen Pitaske

Mar 10, 2023, 2:26:16 PM3/10/23
Thank you very much. This is probably step number 2 for me.

Let's first go with what I have as part of my Forth Bookshelf.
It reminded me of what I did many years ago:
THE FORTH LITE TUTORIAL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FORTH-LITE-TUTORIAL-compatible-SwiftForth/dp/1717970672
Even the comments there are not negative ...

There I did some simple examples to see what happens.

Now, many years later, it will give me the opportunity to check a bit of compatibility.
At the time it was VFX and Swiftforth, let's see how compatible the newer Forths are - like this one.

And as well I am playing with uEForth1 on the Arduino nano
And there are examples running on WOKWI, I liked the one where you control 4 servos online.
https://github.com/chochain/eForth1?fbclid=IwAR3vuJozUugQT8QanCpDmOnDKRp9sxSHe-QoVhXYP0XSSrpxX0btMo0Al7g

There is as well documentation on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1304548976637542/posts/1610691709356599/?comment_id=1610783519347418&reply_comment_id=1640326646393105&notif_id=1678080116364500&notif_t=group_comment_mention

dxforth

Mar 10, 2023, 11:00:13 PM3/10/23
Speaking of 'learn by doing', I've not seen it but 'Forth Application Techniques'
(forth.com) has been around for years. I was impressed by the intro to forth in
the RSC-Forth manual (section 4). Nicely paced and informal, it was written for
engineers needing to come to grips with a new language quickly. Reader comes away
feeling 'I got this!'. How Forth ought to be taught? Nothing was more daunting
than being presented with a FIG glossary and told to learn it :)

Jurgen Pitaske

Mar 11, 2023, 2:02:59 AM3/11/23
Thank you vwery much for this hint. Asked google:
293 pages at https://github.com/glitchwrks/rsc_forth/blob/master/datasheets/RSC-FORTH_User_Manual.pdf

dxforth

Mar 19, 2023, 9:58:39 PM3/19/23
Have to admit feeling like a noob using the WIN version. First
disappointment was finding out common functions weren't loaded by default.
Tried 'include utils.fs' ... 'Error including: utils.fs'
After stuffing around I find I need to 'include utils' (according to
glossary above the former should have worked).
So now 'include utils' - which it does but then spits out 'ERROR' with
nothing to indicate what.

I appreciate ueforth is a work in progress but ATM only for fans with a
high tolerance level for surprises.

Marc Petremann

Mar 20, 2023, 4:59:16 AM3/20/23
Le lundi 20 mars 2023 à 02:58:39 UTC+1, dxforth a écrit :
> On 11/03/2023 3:25 am, Hans Bezemer wrote:
> > On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 5:11:50 PM UTC+1, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> >> For my level of Forth I have to wait for access to a word list with explanations.
> > Try the manual. https://eforth.arduino-forth.com/index/glossaire/
> >
> > It worked for a lot of people!
> Have to admit feeling like a noob using the WIN version. First
> disappointment was finding out common functions weren't loaded by default.
> Tried 'include utils.fs' ... 'Error including: utils.fs'

You must use included....
It's explained here:
https://eforth.arduino-forth.com/article/installation_windows_instalWindows#toolsDir

dxforth

Mar 20, 2023, 8:03:25 AM3/20/23
It turns out 'include utils.fs' does work. Not explained AFAIK is vocabulary.fs
must be loaded before anything else or strange things happen. I hasten to add
documentation is the developer's responsibility - not users.