Looking for ncr century programmers

Ronald Draper

Oct 10, 2020, 1:48:12 AM10/10/20
I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot decks from days gone by. Thanks. Ron

docd...@panix.com

Oct 10, 2020, 11:31:21 AM10/10/20

[posted and emailed]

In article <071e6c5a-cbf0-4cf3...@googlegroups.com>,
Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
>I am looking for...

When posting to comp.lang.cobol please include a rate, or range of rates,
associated with the position(s) offered. Doing otherwise leads many to
believe that you are either trolling for resumes or running a blind ad to
determine rates.

DD

Kerry Liles

Oct 10, 2020, 12:33:30 PM10/10/20
Doesn't look like the OP was posting for a paid position... unless you are
upset he did not include how much he was willing to pay for such a card deck.

docd...@panix.com

Oct 10, 2020, 2:53:57 PM10/10/20
In article <rlsnon$lr3$1...@dont-email.me>,
Kerry Liles <kerry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>docd...@panix.com () wrote:
>

>> [posted and emailed]
>>
>> In article <071e6c5a-cbf0-4cf3...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am looking for...
>>
>> When posting to comp.lang.cobol please include a rate, or range of rates,
>> associated with the position(s) offered. Doing otherwise leads many to
>> believe that you are either trolling for resumes or running a blind ad to
>> determine rates.
>
>Doesn't look like the OP was posting for a paid position... unless you are
>upset he did not include how much he was willing to pay for such a card deck.

That might be... but I saw 'looking for... programmers' and autopilot
kicked in.

DD

Ronald Draper

Oct 10, 2020, 4:53:33 PM10/10/20
On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Ronald Draper wrote:
> I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot decks from days gone by. Thanks. Ron

Yes i am trolling for "old" programmers from a time when ncr was a mainframe manufactor. I have stuff that i have held onto since the 1970s. I have tapes 7 and 9 track), card decks like an in
Ibm 360 20 rpg compiler card deck for an 8k diskless system. Some ncr object decks. Mainly ncr century 50/100/101/151 manals and tapes. I have written in cobol a century simulator and a macro assembler for NEAT/3 (not like ncrs compiler but to serve my purposes). What i dont have in my stash are boot decks. The 50/100 used a one card machine boot card for the 655 disks and the 101/151 used a 3 card boot deck with the 657 disk. The boot cards contain the information to the boot sector on disk. I think i have some tape images of bootable disks made with qdiscopy. So the boot cards might tell me wgere to look on the tapes to restore the to a disk file. I am hopeing someone here might have the boot cards and would post pictures of the cards. I could then decode the binary info on the cards. Hopefully some ome would do this out of the goidness of there hearts for zero dollars and zero cents. When i have a semi fuctional simulator and pseudo disks i wilk post the stuff that i have in a somewhat usable format. The ncr core memory site appears locked down to posting. I have tried to contact the web master but no response over the last few months. Any info would be appreciated. I have used cobol since the late sixties starting with cobol 1962 on a 10 tape drive ncr 315 machine. So i figure here i am and likely there might be a few elders like me lurking around this site. Thanks for taking time to read my random sentences. Ron

docd...@panix.com

Oct 10, 2020, 7:18:14 PM10/10/20
In article <efe5e50f-08c5-44d3...@googlegroups.com>,
Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Ronald Draper wrote:
>> I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot
>decks from days gone by. Thanks. Ron
>
>Yes i am trolling for "old" programmers from a time when ncr was a
>mainframe manufactor. I have stuff that i have held onto since the
>1970s.

Have a care, Mr Draper... I heard somewhere that 'if you don't own the
stuff then the stuff owns you'. The clarification is appreciated.

[snip]

>I am hopeing someone here might have the
>boot cards and would post pictures of the cards. I could then decode
>the binary info on the cards.

Ummmmmm... this is starting to sound like more than 'a hobby'.

[snip]

>Thanks for taking time to read my random sentences. Ron

No problem at all, it is return for my own having done the exact same
thing. Best of luck, old man.

DD

Kerry Liles

Oct 11, 2020, 11:30:18 AM10/11/20
Welcome to this obscure corner of the net... :) There are a LOT of old timers here I
think - some lurking, some patrolling (I'm looking your way docdwarf - haha) and some
just reminiscing. I have a tabletop single card punch in a case that looks like a flute
case with bright purple cloth lining that makes it look like a casket (!) That is from a
zillion years ago when programmers had their own personal card punch because the
single(!) 026 IBM punch was in the "data entry department"... lol

Albert Richheimer

Oct 12, 2020, 2:52:30 PM10/12/20
On 11.10.2020 um 17:30 schrieb Kerry Liles:

> Welcome to this obscure corner of the net... :) There are a LOT of old timers here I
> think - some lurking, some patrolling (I'm looking your way docdwarf - haha) and some
> just reminiscing. I have a tabletop single card punch in a case that looks like a flute
> case with bright purple cloth lining that makes it look like a casket (!) That is from a
> zillion years ago when programmers had their own personal card punch because the
> single(!) 026 IBM punch was in the "data entry department"... lol

I'm one of the old timers. In 1974 I was programming an NCR Century 100
using NEAT/3. Unfortunately I didn't keep any material, such as punched
cards.

Albert

Bill Gunshannon

Oct 12, 2020, 4:57:28 PM10/12/20
Doc, do you even read these posts or is this an automatic response.
He's not looking to hire. He's looking for packrats like me that
still have card decks hanging around.

bill

docd...@panix.com

Oct 12, 2020, 8:12:11 PM10/12/20
In article <huju9l...@mid.individual.net>,
Bill Gunshannon <bill.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/10/20 11:31 AM, docd...@panix.com wrote:
>> [posted and emailed]
>>
>> In article <071e6c5a-cbf0-4cf3...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am looking for...
>>
>> When posting to comp.lang.cobol please include a rate, or range of rates,
>> associated with the position(s) offered. Doing otherwise leads many to
>> believe that you are either trolling for resumes or running a blind ad to
>> determine rates.
>>
>> DD
>>

>Doc, do you even read these posts or is this an automatic response.

Sometimes.

DD

pete dashwood

Nov 2, 2020, 8:39:27 PM11/2/20
On 10/10/2020 18:48, Ronald Draper wrote:
> I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot decks from days gone by. Thanks. Ron

I REALLY wish I could help here; I programmed the NCR 315 in COBOL and
the century (briefly) in NEAT3 and COBOL, but, (probably for the best)
it was long ago and far away... :-)

Pete.

Robert Armstrong

Mar 25, 2022, 11:44:37 AM3/25/22
On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:53:33 PM UTC-7, ronald....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Ronald Draper wrote:
> > I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot decks from days gone by.

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I just happened to come across it while Googling. My high school had a Century 50 that did the data processing for the school district and I was fortunate enough, as a mere student and a sophomore at that, to be allowed to use it. First computer I ever saw, and I have a soft spot for them.

The Century series also had a fairly unique architecture - all operations were memory to memory (no programmer accessible registers in the CPU); variable length binary and BCD operands up to 256 bytes long; scalable from the Century 50 up to the 300 with low end machines emulating unimplemented operations in software, etc. None of this was completely unheard of, but it was different.

I'd be very interested in working on a simh simulator for the Century series, but I've never been able to find any images or media for the system software. The executive, SPUR, OPUR, NEAT/3, FORTRAN, COBOL, etc all seem to have disappeared. Bitsavers has a few manuals, but even those are incomplete. If Ronald Draper is still listening, or anybody else for that matter, and has some of this stuff I'd love to hear about it.

Robin Vowels

Mar 26, 2022, 10:42:36 AM3/26/22
.
The OP is looking for card decks. The card decks will not be seeking wages.

docd...@panix.com

Mar 26, 2022, 1:39:00 PM3/26/22
In article <80b789d6-7adf-424d...@googlegroups.com>,
It will if it was payroll.