Internal error (92)

Eric Malo

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

I installed a version of a clipper application on a Novell Netware version
3.12 server. When indexing a 1Meg file from a station I have a run-time
error (Internal error 92). If I install my program and database files on
the local drive, I have no error. If I reduce the file size on the server
(by removing some records) I have no error.

I am using Clipper Summer 87 and Plink86. My Clipper manual describes DOS
errors up to error 88 but there is nothing about error 92. Is someone had
that problem before? And if so what is the solution

Thanks

Eric Malo <em...@videotron.ca>

richard_mitchell

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article , "Eric says...

This is not a DOS error. It is a Clipper internal error.

The 5.3 Norton Guide states:

92 SORT/INDEX ON Error

Explanation: The system is unable to create a temporary file durin
a SORT or INDEX operation. This can occur for one of the following
reasons:

1. No disk space.

2. Disk is write-protected.

3. No more directory entries.

4. The file already exists and is read-only.

5. There are not enough file handles available.

Richard Mitchell

Anne Krijger

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

"Eric Malo" <em...@videotron.ca> (Eric Malo) wrote:>

> I installed a version of a clipper application on a Novell Netware version
> 3.12 server. When indexing a 1Meg file from a station I have a run-time
> error (Internal error 92). If I install my program and database files on

Eric, this is what the Internal error Norton Guide has to say:

92 SORT/INDEX ON Error

The system is unable to create a temporary file during a SORT or INDEX

operation. This can occur for one of the following reasons:

1) No disk space;

2) Disk is write-protected;

3) No more directory entries; or

4) The file already exists and is read-only.

I think this might help.

Anne.

* Het heden is eeuwig. <J.D.> *

The Program Witch

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

I have had the same error with some of our older Summer 87 programs, and
have found there was also another posiblitiy to get Internal error 92. Not
having rights in the root directory. I guess this can be related to "2.
Disk is write-protected." It took us a few days before we finally figured
out what was wrong, non of the error criteria met.

K. Latham

Richard Mitchell wrote in article <5v4534$j...@drn.zippo.com>...

>In article , "Eric says...
>>

>>I installed a version of a clipper application on a Novell Netware version
>>3.12 server. When indexing a 1Meg file from a station I have a run-time
>>error (Internal error 92). If I install my program and database files on

>>the local drive, I have no error. If I reduce the file size on the server
>>(by removing some records) I have no error.
>>
>>I am using Clipper Summer 87 and Plink86. My Clipper manual describes DOS
>>errors up to error 88 but there is nothing about error 92. Is someone had
>>that problem before? And if so what is the solution
>>
>>Thanks
>>--
>>_________________________________________
>>Eric Malo <em...@videotron.ca>
>
>This is not a DOS error. It is a Clipper internal error.
>
>The 5.3 Norton Guide states:
>
>92 SORT/INDEX ON Error
>

> Explanation: The system is unable to create a temporary file durin

> a SORT or INDEX operation. This can occur for one of the following
> reasons:

Jovan Bulajic

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Eric Malo <em...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I installed a version of a clipper application on a Novell Netware
version
> 3.12 server. When indexing a 1Meg file from a station I have a run-time
> error (Internal error 92). If I install my program and database files on
> the local drive, I have no error. If I reduce the file size on the
server
> (by removing some records) I have no error.

Check your security equivalences on server - based on the fact that it runs
fine with smaller file size I guess you exceeded your disk quota. Solution
is simple - just give user that runs program more privleges on his account.
Also, it TEMP directory is on network drive (and I guess it is since IE92
is connected to temp directory) you may run program fine even with curent
account privileges if you SET TEMP to a local hard disk.

--
Jovan Bulajic
Belgrade,Yugoslavia

Ben McKibben

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

The Program Witch wrote:

> I have had the same error with some of our older Summer 87 programs, and
> have found there was also another posiblitiy to get Internal error 92. Not
> having rights in the root directory. I guess this can be related to "2.
> Disk is write-protected." It took us a few days before we finally figured
> out what was wrong, non of the error criteria met.

I have also had this error and also believe the cause to be as described
above. Only happens when running the applicaiont in W95. Windows 3.1 is
no problem. Try going to the control pannel in W95, chose network and
change the device from MS Client for netware to novel NETX.
--

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Ben McKibben

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.
(remove the tilde to reply to this address)

HS MrByte

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Eric Malo wrote:

>I installed a version of a clipper application on a Novell Netware version
>3.12 server. When indexing a 1Meg file from a station I have a run-time
>error (Internal error 92). If I install my program and database files on
>the local drive, I have no error. If I reduce the file size on the server
>(by removing some records) I have no error.
>

>I am using Clipper Summer 87 and Plink86. My Clipper manual describes DOS
>errors up to error 88 but there is nothing about error 92. Is someone had
>that problem before? And if so what is the solution

We had the same problems two weeks ago. The problems seemed to be, that
the user had not all rights in the root directory, where a temp file had to
be created
internally by the index command.

After intensive testing there came up a interesting fact:
In a pure DOS/Novell environvent it was sufficient, to give a user all
rights for the root directory (Read/delete/modify and so on).
But if the user was working in a Windows-95 environment (DOS-Box), even
this was not enough. It only worked, if he got full SUPERVISOR-rights.
I don't know, why - but maybe this tip may help....

Holger Schlecht

richard_mitchell

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In article , hsmr...@aol.com says...

This sounds like maybe you were dealing with some files that were owned by
someone who no longer has rights to that directory, maybe a former employee. In
that case, you have to have priority rights to be able to utilize the file.
I've been told that W95 sometimes does more enforcement than some other
environments.

Richard Mitchell