DBF + DBV

Jean-Paul BORDE

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
I've got a DBF/DBV pair of files and I must retrieve the memos associated to
the entries in the DBF file.

Piece o'cake will you answer? Won't you?

Well the problem is : I don't have Clipper neither Flexfile, I've just got
C++, and I can't figure out how to "decode" the memo field in the DBF record
to get to the associated memo...

I know there here but I can't get to them... Very frustrating...

If anybody could help !!!

Thanks in advance...

Jean-Paul BORDE.
jpb...@free.fr

Stephen Quinn

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Jean-Paul

Check your email.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Life is sexually transmitted.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
Fire hydrants have H2O on the inside and K9P on the outside.

Jean-Paul BORDE <jpb...@free.fr> wrote in message

M.Horton

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Stephen,

i am curious to know if you have a solution for retrieving DBV memos in the
original flexfile format (C6 style)...i have tried the flexfile III fuction
library with no success...i always get a corruption error (flexfile 2006) on the
OPEN of V_USE....please advise.MH.

Stephen Quinn wrote:

--
Morris Horton
Perot Systems Corp.

Stephen Quinn

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
Morris

You may have a DBF/DBV pair that are not really a pair at all.

If the MEMO fields in your DBF are declared as
'MEMO', "M", 10, 0
then you have a normal DBF/DBV pair (V_USE not required).

If the MEMO fields in your DBF are declared as
'MEMO', "C", 6, 0
then you don't have a pair, you have two associated files that need to be
opened separately.
ie
USE FRED // open the DBF file
V_USE( "FRED.DBV" ) // open the DBV memo file

You need to get the data from this type of memo using

cText := v_memoget( FRED->MEMO )

No idea what the 2006 means as it's not a Flexfile error.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

M.Horton <morris...@ps.net> wrote in message

M.Horton

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
thx for the thoughts Stephen....

in summary, i have solved my problem....my code does read like your sample below
(opening files separately, C6 version)...the problem was my using FlexFile
III.....after i obtained and linked with FlexFile II, the problem went away
without any coding change....from my point of view, this means one thing;
FlexFile III is for use with M10 type memo fields....for the older C6 style,
FlexFile II is required.

thx again,
MH

Stephen Quinn

Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99
Morris

Not quite right.

If you use FlexIII you need to may need v_AllowConvert(.t.) in your prg.

This will update the memo to FlexIII on the fly.

I've only used FlexIII to build a version of BRO that will read DBF/FPT
created by VO2 which uses FlexIII technology in its DBFCDX & DBFMEMO RDDs.

HTH
Steve Quinn
Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

M.Horton <morris...@ps.net> wrote in message

Jeffrey Booker

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Whoa. I just cought the tail end of this thread. I think you may have just
been discussing the information I'm looking for.. I need to read the
contents of a DBF/DBV memo field using VB6 binary file access. I know that
the 6 character string in the DBF file must contain offset and string size
of the memo field in the corresponding DBV file, but I'm not sure how to
decode it. Anybody know what those 6 characters mean and/or how to decipher
them? I figured they would be 4 bytes for an unsigned integer denoting
offset, and the 2 bytes to designate field length, but this does not seem to
be the case.

TIA

Stephen Quinn <squ...@brutecom.com.au> wrote in message

> > Morris Horton
> > Perot Systems Corp.
> > www.perotsystems.com
> > morris...@ps.net
> > 512-858-0811 (cell 512-748-3050) (fax 512-858-5408)

Stephen Quinn

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Jeffrey

Bytes 1 & 2 are the offsets in the DBV where the data resides
Bytes 3 & 4 are the length of the stored data
Bytes 5 & 6 I don't know, at a guess the type of data stored
ie object, array, plain text, encryption type

The above is from memory so 1-4 may be reversed<g>

--
HTH
Steve Quinn
Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Jeffrey Booker <je...@securitysoftware.com> wrote in message

Dan Yaeger

May 24, 2021, 5:21:48 PM5/24/21
On Saturday, January 8, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Stephen Quinn wrote:
> Jeffrey
> Bytes 1 & 2 are the offsets in the DBV where the data resides
> Bytes 3 & 4 are the length of the stored data
> Bytes 5 & 6 I don't know, at a guess the type of data stored
> ie object, array, plain text, encryption type
> The above is from memory so 1-4 may be reversed<g>
> --
> HTH
> Steve Quinn
> Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
> Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
> Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv), i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every link on the internet is broken that references tools and materials to aid in this conversion.
Steve you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in these older clipper/flexfile systems. Do you know if the tool DBF/DBV -> DBF/DBT converter still exists? or if there are any resources that could get this data out? I am migrating everything to a MySQL database, i have all my dbf data already migrated, but the memo field has been the sticking point.

-Dan

dlzc

May 25, 2021, 10:20:06 AM5/25/21
Dear Dan Yeager:

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 2:21:48 PM UTC-7, Dan Yaeger wrote:
> I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile
> stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion
> and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
>
> I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv),
> i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every
> link on the internet is broken that references tools and
> materials to aid in this conversion.

I find the following: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.xharbour/c/fnO7ZLLumIc/m/uYgYerQLFLMJ

Rename the memofile extension to the one for Fauxpro, and change the first byte (with a suitable editor), and you might be able to treat it as a FauxPro file. You can probably find the tools you need for that. Make sure you do this with a COPY, not the ORIGINAL, of course.

David A. Smith

Dan Yaeger

May 25, 2021, 2:24:15 PM5/25/21
Thank you David. I will keep investigating. I feel like I am closer with every bit of information, I believe my files are a bit different than the traditional files. Everything I have tried seems to be a bit different than the standard. It doesn't help that I am not a programmer by trade, I just get roped into projects like this.

dlzc

May 25, 2021, 4:17:17 PM5/25/21
Dear Dan Yaeger:

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 11:24:15 AM UTC-7, Dan Yaeger wrote:
> Thank you David. I will keep investigating. I feel like I am closer
> with every bit of information, I believe my files are a bit different
> than the traditional files. Everything I have tried seems to be a
> bit different than the standard. It doesn't help that I am not a
> programmer by trade, I just get roped into projects like this.

You are an "expert" like so many of us. An "ex" is a "has been" and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. So many people find suckers to do their dirty work for them... that is how I got into computers and programming.

David A. Smith

Jan Bucek

May 26, 2021, 11:03:30 AM5/26/21
Dne 24.5.2021 v 23:21 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):
Hi Dan,
I have found my old conversion tools for Clipper 5.3b I have developped
years ago on my PC - EXEs and source too. I have deployed the entire
directory on "http://www.bucek.info/rdd2rdd.zip". Try to use the EXEs
(Win32 max.) or check the source code, if it helps.
Best Regards
Jan Bucek

Dan Yaeger

Jun 3, 2021, 5:33:00 PM6/3/21
Thank you Jan. I tried to use the software you linked but still unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file. I may post something to Freelancer or another coding site to see if I can find someone to look at the data and export to another format I can use. I appreciate your time in finding the files and responding, if anything it gives me hope there are still experts out there.

Jan Bucek

Jun 4, 2021, 3:25:13 AM6/4/21
Dne 03.06.2021 v 23:32 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):
1. What do you mean with "unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file"?

2. conversion DBT2DBV.EXE works OK for me, command:
DBT2DBV.EXE tableV.dbf DBV tableT.dbf
gives you new table tableT.dbf/dbt converted from existing
tableV.dbf/dbv

3. If it does not work for you, you can send me your DBF/DBV tables and
I convert it for you

--
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Dan Yaeger

Jun 4, 2021, 3:11:19 PM6/4/21
My output from running that executable doesn't seem to link to the dbv to create usable output. In other words, my input = output after running this application.
I created a temporary link to the files that will expire in a couple days. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kw395wlp0otqxu1/DBF-DBV%20Files.zip?dl=0
Thank you!