Run Time Error code 50

Andrew Harvey

May 17, 2001, 9:25:08 AM5/17/01
Hi Everyone

I am having a problem with a workstation running one of my programs. The
workstation is running Windows 98 and the datafiles are on a server running
windows NT4. The program runs fine on other workstations on the same
network!

When the program tries to access a particular datafile the following error
message is displayed:
Error code 50 (access violation) Subsystem VO-Code Error code 5333

Given that everything works ok on other workstations I am a little confused
and would welcome any suggestions as to the problem.

Andrew

Ginny Caughey

May 17, 2001, 10:51:53 AM5/17/01
Hi Andrew,

Look for anything else that's different besides the workstation. User rights,
etc. Can somebody see that file from that workstation using Windows Explorer?
Can they open it? Does it have an index and is it visible too? That sort of
thing. My techs had a similar error - also occurring only on Win98
workstations - where the index expression was incorrect. I can't remember if it
was the macro part (which I've since removed anyway) or the string part, so
check the index expressions related to that file carefully.

Ginny

"Andrew Harvey" <l...@xxxxpsilink.co.je> wrote in message

Andrew Harvey

May 17, 2001, 12:33:29 PM5/17/01
Hi Ginny

Thanks for you very quick response to my query.

I have looked at user rights and <everyone> has access to the directory in
which the datafile is stored and <everyone> has access to the file!

The file can be seen from the workstation using explorer. The confusing
thing is that the datafile can be opened in a different part of the program
and browsed with no problems. This problem only seems to affect a particular
part of my program.

I enclose some code below so that you can see what is happening. Basically I
open the datafile, I have managed to confirm that the datafile opens ok, I
then loop through the file and add an item to a listview control for each
database entry. (Its a very small database approx 50 records.)

The Error occurs when I try to call ListView:AddItem() . As I noted, the
strange thing is that this works on other machines!

This one is driving me nuts!

Andrew

METHOD PostInit( oParent, uExtra ) CLASS StaffList
LOCAL oImageList AS ImageList

SELF:oStaff := StaffDatabase{ SELF }

oImageList := ImageList{ 6, Dimension{ 32, 32 } }
oImageList:Add( StaffIcon{} )
SELF:oDCStaffListView:LargeImageList := oImageList
oImageList := ImageList{ 6, Dimension{ 16, 16 } }
oImageList:Add( StaffIcon{} )
SELF:oDCStaffListView:SmallImageList := oImageList

SELF:BuildListColumns()

DO WHILE !SELF:oStaff:Eof
SELF:AddItemTolist( SELF:oStaff:StaffNo, SELF:oStaff:Staff_Ref,
SELF:oStaff:Surname, ;
SELF:oStaff:Firstname )
SELF:oStaff:Skip()
ENDDO
RETURN NIL

METHOD AddItemTolist( iStaffNo, iStaffRef, cSurname, cFirstName ) CLASS
StaffList
LOCAL oListItem AS ListViewItem

oListItem := ListViewItem{}
oListItem:SetValue( iStaffNo, #StaffNo )
oListItem:SetValue( iStaffRef, #Staff_Ref )
oListItem:SetValue( cSurname, #Surname )
oListItem:SetValue( cFirstName, #FirstName )

SELF:oDCStaffListView:AddItem( oListItem ) >>> ERROR OCCURS HERE <<<
RETURN NIL

"Ginny Caughey" <ginny....@wasteworks.com> wrote in message

Ginny Caughey

May 17, 2001, 1:14:43 PM5/17/01
Hi Andrew,

It doesn't appear that the file itself is the problem. I don't use the VO GUI
classes so I don't know what might be happening there. Maybe somebody else will.
Does this happen on the very first item you try to add?

Ginny

"Andrew Harvey" <l...@xxxxpsilink.co.je> wrote in message

ARCA Sistemi

May 17, 2001, 5:35:15 PM5/17/01
Hi, Andrew
When I have a similar problem, I start looking for some difference in Win
DLL.
Sometimes I found that some VB install overwrite original Windows 98SE DLL
(Common Control)
HTH
Massimo

"Ginny Caughey" <ginny....@wasteworks.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> [...]

Gary Stark

May 17, 2001, 5:48:12 PM5/17/01
Andrew,

You say that this problem only occurs on the one W98 workstation? Does that
workstation have all of the correct versions of all of the DLLs installed?

How much memory is installed on that system? How is the VM configured on that
system? I have found that, for VO application, it seems to help matters if you
(1) have a minimum of 96Mb RAM installed; 256 is better, and (2) manually
configure Windoze VM so that there is total logical VM of 150% of installed RAM.

Finally, (or perhaps most importantly) why W98? Put it exactly where it belongs,
and run W2KPro!

Andrew Harvey wrote:

--
g.
Gary Stark

Andrew Harvey

May 18, 2001, 5:22:39 AM5/18/01
Hi Massimo

You were right. It is a common control problem but as I noted in my response
to Ginny, it seems as though the computer was simply running an older
version and upgrading internet explorer did the trick.

Many thanks for your help

Andrew

"ARCA Sistemi" <arca...@tin.it> wrote in message

Andrew Harvey

May 18, 2001, 5:15:39 AM5/18/01
Hi Gary

Thanks for your response. I have managed to solve the problem as you will
see in my reply to Ginny.

I would love to insist on W2KPro as the platform of choice but unfortunately
its not my decision on this particular set up :-(

Andrew

"Gary Stark" <gst...@DONTSPAMRedbacksWeb.com> wrote in message

Andrew Harvey

May 18, 2001, 5:13:15 AM5/18/01
Hi Ginny

Seems like it is a VO GUI problem. The machine on which the program was
running has no internet access and the version of Internet Explorer
installed was version 4! When I upgraded this to version 5 it sorted out my
problems. So its effectively a common controls problem but obviously means
that to run my program you must have ie5 installed!

Many thanks for your help

Andrew

"Ginny Caughey" <ginny....@wasteworks.com> wrote in message

Ginny Caughey

May 18, 2001, 1:19:33 PM5/18/01
Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you got the problem solved, and thanks for letting us know what it was.

Ginny

"Andrew Harvey" <l...@xxxxpsilink.co.je> wrote in message

Stephen Quinn

May 18, 2001, 10:55:35 PM5/18/01
Andrew

You can update the common controls without installing IE.

D/l the common control update - '50comupd.exe' from the M$ site

Distribute it on your installation CD & install where necessary.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Andrew Harvey

May 19, 2001, 5:15:05 AM5/19/01
Thanks Stephen

Fortunately I have only seen this problem once. I will however ensure that I
have this upgrade available in future.

Andrew

do not
"Stephen Quinn" <squ...@brutecom.com.au> wrote in message