Visual Objects my first love.

paulofv...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 5:04:36 PM3/17/22
Five years guys, the last time I worked with visual objects but I never forgot all the tips from the group. now I'm in a c# and xamarim but it's with great pleasure that I see that a lot of people didn't let VO die. Thank you for everything group and see you one day.
Note: I have code that I can publish open source just tell me where.

Wolfgang Riedmann

Mar 19, 2022, 12:40:35 PM3/19/22
Hi Paulo,

> Five years guys, the last time I worked with visual objects but I
> never forgot all the tips from the group. now I'm in a c# and xamarim
> but it's with great pleasure that I see that a lot of people didn't
> let VO die.

if you liked VO and are working with C#: give X# a look.

X# is the VO language ported to the .NET Framework, and generates the
same type of executables as C#: https://www.xsharp.eu

Wolfgang

Christian Maye

Jun 9, 2022, 9:07:11 PM6/9/22
Hey guys.... perhaps its not my new love but indeed I might be a really rare person actually coding (or better trying to) in VO. I have an existing and running old database program not supported anymore and not portable. They have an own programmed interface language but accept at least some VO functions embedded into the commands.
Could you please tell me where I could find a more or less complete list of "standard" functions of VO programm-snippets could also help? Creating my own functions, modules, types semms not to work but small things like a function for the actual time ( I only have Today() for the date), searching positions of string/character inside another string, the logic why / where to use IVarPut(...) or FieldPut(...) and further similar functions (I have figured out the fields I can access with the above but I have other fields that can't be written with either of these although I can lock/unlock the fields) and most wanted the functions that enable to me to connect to the WINAPI. Any small hint can help me :-)

Greetings Christian

Franz Rachbauer

Jun 10, 2022, 12:48:43 AM6/10/22
Do you have VO installed?
If so you have VO online help where you can find all of these VO staff
you want to be informed (time(), strtran(), ...).
Regards, Franz

Wolfgang Riedmann

Jun 11, 2022, 4:20:26 AM6/11/22
Hi Christian,

probably they are using the macrocompiler functionality of VO, and many
of the VO functions (all these that are strongly typed with some
exceptions) will simply not work.

So you may need the help file of Visual Objects....

IVarPut()/IVarGet() are used to write/read properties of the VO objects.
FieldPut()/FieldGet() are used to write/read fields of a database record

To find an occurrence of a string in another string, you can use the
At() function.

Interfacing the Windows API through the macrocompiler will not work, if
they have not prepared something for it.

And normally, a macro expression in VO is limited to 255 characters....
if they have not implemented something like VOScript that permits
entire macro files.

Wolfgang