help. help. help

aurora baccio

Jun 20, 2021, 4:57:28 AMJun 20
help. help
I don't know what happened but an entire project was deleted?
I have the aef of one of the applications,
and an old copy of the project
what can I do ?
thanks
Aurora Baccio.

Wolfgang Riedmann

Jun 20, 2021, 2:48:14 PMJun 20
Hi Aurora,

an AEF of one of the applications does not helps much.

Are you missing the project from the list or has the project directory
be disappeared?

Du you have any backups? (it may be late, but the source code is vital
for every programmer, so any backup should not be saved once, but at
least two or three times).

Wolfgang

aurora baccio

Jun 21, 2021, 1:07:44 AMJun 21
Mr. Riedman good morning
I had been more cautious than I remembered.
The AEF was dated June 19 .
In any case here is case happened.
A project crash occurs during compilation. Of all the project. Instead of having the methods regularly encapsulated I find myself a series of folders with icons of the basic type.
It happened to me twice.
I have tried to rebuild the project index, but nothing to do.
I'm considering deleting Vo28 sp4b and reinstalling it again.
The problem is that the code provided at the time is not working for me.
It has been eight years since the purchase.
In Sicily we say that after the theft in Sant'Agata they made the golden cage, and in fact now I make frequent backups.
I would like your advice
Aurora Baccio

Wolfgang Riedmann

Jun 22, 2021, 1:16:17 AMJun 22
Hi Aurora,

normally it should help to export all code to AEFs, create a new
project and import all AEFs.

That is something I do at least once a year because projects tend to
blow up.

If this does not helps, contact me per email and then maybe we could
arrange a TeamViewer/AnyDesk session so I could have a look.

Anyway, there are some possibilities to save a repo.

My favourite is the VO Productivity Pack that does a regular autoexport
of the entire project every half hour to a network drive (when I'm in
my office) or to a SD card (when I'm working at customers site), and I
keep that exports for several years - every day changes.

Wolfgang

aurora baccio

Jun 22, 2021, 8:34:31 AMJun 22
Mr. Riedman thank you for your reply
there, the correct term is explode. I was under the impression that twice the project had exploded.
And thank you for relieving me somewhat.
Now I don't remember if the second time I had created a new project. I had probably just deleted the code and pasted an old project.
I have now created a new project and will test it out when I get around to it.
Actually the project is quite large. Do you suggest me to keep only one application and to move the other applications in a different project?
This application (management of a specialized medical practice) contains a whole series of procedures that I only use. For example, prescription reporting. The submissions to Sogei (730 and art 50). The sending of medical receipts to the accountant for tax accounting. Which I can easily unbundle and transfer to a new and different project. This would certainly make the current code lighter, Could this help ?
As for that Vo.... that makes backups, where do I find it ? And if so, how should it be installed?
One question came up for me recently.
In clipper there was a handy program that fixed and reported errors in the if - endif cycles as well as for - next. Is there something similar for VO ?
In any case always thanks for your help
Aurora Baccio.

P.S. Perhaps I have understood who is the person with whom you had the disagreement. Could you please let me know, in private, what I could do to remedy it? He is not a guy and I should know him as a reasonable person. With the permission of Mr. Riedman.
Also, how is XSharp doing ?

Wolfgang Riedmann

Jun 22, 2021, 9:38:18 AMJun 22
Hi Aurora,

> there, the correct term is explode. I was under the impression that
> twice the project had exploded. And thank you for relieving me
> somewhat. Now I don't remember if the second time I had created a
> new project. I had probably just deleted the code and pasted an old
> project. I have now created a new project and will test it out when
> I get around to it.

the VO Repository is a database, and unfortunately deleted records are
not recycled.
Therefore during work the repository directory will become bigger and
bigger. Rebuild such a project can cut down the directory size and not
only make VO work faster, but also more stable.
I have seen some cases where the project folder was less than half the
size as before.

> Actually the project is quite large. Do you
> suggest me to keep only one application and to move the other
> applications in a different project?

I have organized my projects per groups - currently I have 8 of them,
with directory sizes between about 100 MB to over 500 MB (containing my
largest application, about 10 others and several libraries).

Nearly all my projects share some code (basically my framework
classes), and I have organized that using external modules.

> As for that Vo.... that
> makes backups, where do I find it ? And if so, how should it be
> installed?

VO Productivity Pack is a commercial product by Paul Piko from
Australia:
http://piko.com.au/archive-piko/vopp.htm
It contains many tools other than the AutoExport tool.

> One question came up for me recently. In clipper there
> was a handy program that fixed and reported errors in the if - endif
> cycles as well as for - next. Is there something similar for VO ?

I have never heard from such a tool.... How it worked?

> P.S. Perhaps I have understood who is the person with whom you had
> the disagreement. Could you please let me know, in private, what I
> could do to remedy it?

there is nothing you can or should do....

> Also, how is XSharp doing ?

the X# team is releasing version after version, and it works very well.

Maybe you should look yourself at https://www.xsharp.eu - the compiler
is free to use, both with Visual Studio and XIDE (an VO like IDE
written in X# itself).

Wolfgang