CreateGCDump()

harvey...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2022, 5:26:07 PM4/27/22
Anyone use the CreateGCDump() dll function? I know the forum is all but dead. Hoping though... I tried using this function and the return does not match the structure definition. It returns the number of entries correctly, but for the GCE structure, it only returns 1 element. If I peek in using the debugger, there are 93 entries as a subarray to element 1 of pEntry, but always 1 element only in the main array, and that's not what the code is looking for. I gleaned the GCDUMP() code from this site. Here's a snipper of where the problem is.

LOCAL pDump AS _GCDUMP
LOCAL pEntry AS _GCENTRY //structure with 6 members - only seeing 1

nEntries := CreateGCDump(pDump, nType) //doesn't matter which type i try
Log("Total Entries: " + NTrim(nEntries), GetCurPath()+"GCDump.log") //this works finds between 93 and 153 depending on what I ask for.
FOR dwCount := 1 UPTO nEntries
pEntry := @pDump.GCE[dwCount] //craps out when >1 with bound error

any help appreciated.

thanks.
Steve McNaughton
Harvey.The.RV.20.@gmail Drop the periods & add the .com

Wolfgang Riedmann

Apr 29, 2022, 10:47:15 AM4/29/22
Hi Harvey,

in my applications (VO 2.8 SP4b) it works:

pGCDump := MemAlloc(_SIZEOF(DWORD) + (dwMax*_SIZEOF(_GCENTRY)))

IF pGCDump<>NULL_PTR
pGCDump.nEntryCount:=dwMax
dwItems:=CreateGCDump(pGCDump,6)
pGCEntry:=PTR(_CAST,DWORD(_CAST,pGCDump)+_SIZEOF(DWORD))

IF dwItems > 0 .and. lWriteDump
oLog := FFileSpec{cDumpFilename}
oLog:Create( FC_NORMAL )
oLog:WriteLine("Active references to dynamic memory: "+NTrim(dwItems))
oLog:WriteLine("-------------------------------------------")
oLog:WriteLine(" ")
//ODS32("Active references to dynamic memory: "+NTrim(dwItems))
//ODS32("-------------------------------------------")
FOR X := 1 UPTO dwItems
oLog:WriteLine("Created by : " +
Iif(pGCEntry.nGCType==GC_TYPE_STACK,"Compiler","RegisterKid()"))
oLog:WriteLine("Dyn.Addr. : " +
NTrim(DWORD(_CAST,pGCEntry.pDynMem)))
oLog:WriteLine("Size : " + NTrim(pGCEntry.nSize))
oLog:WriteLine("Reference : " +
NTrim(DWORD(_CAST,pGCEntry.ppRefDynMem)))
oLog:WriteLine("Type : " + GCVarType(pGCEntry.nVarType))
//__Type2String(DWORD(_CAST,pGCEntry.nVarType)))
oLog:WriteLine("Value : " + Psz2String(@pGCEntry.abValue[1]))
oLog:WriteLine(" ")

pGCEntry:=pGCEntry + 1
NEXT
oLog:Close()
ENDIF
MemFree(pGCDump)
ENDIF

This NG may be dead because the current development of the successor
(X#) is here: https://www.xsharp.eu , and here you will find also the
last VO development team.

Wolfgang

harvey...@gmail.com

May 2, 2022, 3:12:48 PM5/2/22
Thanks Wolfgang,

Appreciate the eyeball on the group.

I will compare the code to what I am getting and report back!

-Steve
Harvey is the name of my RV I'll be living in shortly!)