Path to DLLs

84 views
Skip to first unread message

Fred Killet

unread,
Feb 26, 2021, 2:36:28 AMFeb 26
to
Hello,

I use VO28 SP4. Is it possible to set for a specific program the path to
the needed DLLs? I don't mean finding them using the environment
variable "PATH".
Background: At program start the program should find its DLLs in any
directory.

Kind regards, Fred

Fred Killet

unread,
Feb 28, 2021, 3:51:19 AMFeb 28
to
Has somebody an idea?

Phil McGuinness

unread,
Feb 28, 2021, 4:12:27 AMFeb 28
to
snip[ I use VO28 SP4. Is it possible to set for a specific program the path to the needed DLLs? I don't mean finding them using the environment
variable "PATH". Background: At program start the program should find its DLLs in any directory. ]
snip[ Has somebody an idea? ]

Note: The PATH is checked last..........

Fred

When you execute an application that depends on one or more DLLs, the Windows loader tries to load each needed DLL into memory (after first checking to see that it is not already loaded).
The loader will search the following locations, in order:

1. The current drive and directory
2. The main Windows directory and its SYSTEM subdirectory
3. The directory that contains the module requesting the DLL (it may be the application or another DLL making the request)
4. All directories specified in the PATH environment variable.

If the DLL cannot be found in any of these locations, the loading process of the application is terminated and an error message displayed.

Phil
----

Fred Killet

unread,
Feb 28, 2021, 7:54:50 AMFeb 28
to

> Fred
>
> When you execute an application that depends on one or more DLLs, the Windows loader tries to load each needed DLL into memory (after first checking to see that it is not already loaded).
> The loader will search the following locations, in order:
>
> 1. The current drive and directory
> 2. The main Windows directory and its SYSTEM subdirectory
> 3. The directory that contains the module requesting the DLL (it may be the application or another DLL making the request)
> 4. All directories specified in the PATH environment variable.
>
> If the DLL cannot be found in any of these locations, the loading process of the application is terminated and an error message displayed.
>
> Phil

Thank you for yoour explanation, Phil!


Fred Killet

unread,
Mar 1, 2021, 12:13:35 PMMar 1
to
Is it possible to influence some settings for an EXE created with VO28
by means of a <app>.EXE.CONFIG file?

Urs Eggmann

unread,
Mar 1, 2021, 4:45:01 PMMar 1
to
Hi Fred,

Why not write some settings in a INI-File with the IniFile class from Ivo
Wessel and read it in the start()?

Another possibility is the bStream Class from Joachim Bieler to convert
something in a binary string, save it in a file and read it at start?
http://www.votools.com/german/tools/vo_libraries.htm

Or do I misunderstand the question?

Beste Grüsse
Urs


"Fred Killet" <kil...@killetsoft.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:s1j7bu$vvi$1...@gwaiyur.mb-net.net...

Fred Killet

unread,
Mar 4, 2021, 11:18:56 AMMar 4
to
Am 01.03.2021 um 22:44 schrieb Urs Eggmann:
> Hi Fred,
>
> Or do I misunderstand the question?
>
> Beste Grüsse
> Urs
>
> "Fred Killet" <kil...@killetsoft.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:s1j7bu$vvi$1...@gwaiyur.mb-net.net...
>> Is it possible to influence some settings for an EXE created with VO28 by
>> means of a <app>.EXE.CONFIG file?

Hi Urs,
What I mean is to tell the ready compiled and linked EXE the path to the
needed VO28 DLLs. In this case I do not like to set the Environment
variable PATH.

Gruß, Fred


dlzc

unread,
Mar 4, 2021, 11:53:04 AMMar 4
to
Hello Fred Killet:

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 9:18:56 AM UTC-7, Fred Killet wrote:
...
> Hi Urs,
> What I mean is to tell the ready compiled and linked EXE the path to the
> needed VO28 DLLs. In this case I do not like to set the Environment
> variable PATH.

They have told you what works in Windoze. You don't have to use / change PATH. You can put the DLLs where the EXE resides (I think), in the working directory for the EXE as it runs, or some other destination in the PATH that you did not have to set.

It is so much easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going.

David A. Smith

Phil McGuinness

unread,
Mar 5, 2021, 8:56:57 AMMar 5
to
........ ride the horse in the direction it is going.

<bg>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages