limit exceeded

aurora baccio

Jul 9, 2021, 10:12:12 AMJul 9
Good afternoon,
Sorry to bother you again.
what does the following error message mean?
limit exceedec
kid stack size limit exceeded
patients_brose:dispactch() line 8
Here is line 8 of the dispach method
nReturn := SUPER:Dispatch(oE)
This error occurs on only one of the five PCs running the same application, and only in one doctor's office. Nothing like this occurs on other PCs or in other doctors' offices using the same application.
I assume this is an operating system problem. But I'm not sure. However, the pc has some office related problem. But again I am not sure. Could it have to do with centerdatawindow() ?
Thanks
Aurora Baccio

Franz Rachbauer

Jul 9, 2021, 11:25:16 AMJul 9
Hi Aurora,
please look at
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects/c/EXM73l7bhyg?pli=1
It seems that app is in a loop.
Regards, Franz

aurora baccio

Jul 9, 2021, 11:40:33 AMJul 9
I understand and the type of error and thank you.
I must also add that it is not reported in VOerrore.log.
but what does it mean :
You need to be throwing a calling stack on entry to where-ever this is
happening.
thanks
Aurora Baccio

Franz Rachbauer

Jul 9, 2021, 1:03:21 PMJul 9
You have a function or event which calls itself in a loop
Ensure that your recursive code has a base case which is able to be met
so it never loops.

global glExit := FALSE as logic
do while TRUE
if glExit
// Do something to exit loop
endif
glExit := TRUE
enddo

aurora baccio

Jul 10, 2021, 2:21:11 AMJul 10
thank you for your reply and example.
this is the code where the error is reported, line 8

1)METHOD Dispatch(oE) CLASS WindowPatients_Browse
2)
3) // this method is fundamental to handle all the events of the window of
4) // membership keep it in mind !!!! is outstanding
5) LOCAL nRETURN as int
6) STATIC cLastKey := "" as STRING
7)
8) nReturn := SUPER:Dispatch(oE)
9)
10) IF oE:Message = WM_TIMER .and. ; // a message has arrived from the timer
11) self:oDCCerca <> null_object .and. ; // the control has already been created
12) Trim(self:oDCCerca:TEXTValue)<> cLastKey // the search key has changed
13) cLastKey := FabAllTrim(self:oDCCerca:TEXTValue)
14)
15) self:oSF_WindowPatients_Browse:Server:SetOrder(2)
16) // execute the search
17) self:oSF_WindowPatients_Browse:Server:Seek(cLastKey)
18)
19) IF self:oSF_FWindowPatients_Browse:Server:EOF
20) Tone(800,3)
21) self:oSF_FWindowPatients_Browse:Server:GOTOP()
22) ENDIF
23)
24) ENDIF
25) RETURN nRETURN

I must then create a global variable glexit := false as logic
the control should be inserted where ?
Could you be more precise?
thanks
Aurora Baccio

JohnMartens

Jul 10, 2021, 2:41:25 AMJul 10
I never use a timer in a dispatch. Maybe that's because there can be a
new call tot the dispatch method where a new timer will be started.

I'm using SELF:RegisterTimer(1,FALSE) eg in the start of a longer method
where you want to show progress indicator every second.

Using METHOD Timer() CLASS MyWindowClass will then handle the timer.
In this case I'm sure that there is only one timer up and running.

Other VO guru's will be able to give you more info but I think at my
habit of setting timers has find it's origin 15+ yrs ago in some solid
VO guru advice.

John

Franz Rachbauer

Jul 10, 2021, 6:17:07 AMJul 10
My code only was an example to show you the logic, you should not use it
as it is. It seems that METHOD Dispatch(oE) CLASS WindowPatients_Browse
is called in a loop. You have to show why and where and then make an
"emergency exit" which exits the loop.
Franz

aurora baccio

Jul 10, 2021, 6:20:56 AMJul 10
good morning,
thank you for your reply.
One question, the last one, and one request.
Can the error be due to the fact that the timer is not closed at the end of the procedure, so it always remains open?
the request: could you send me the methods you recommended for a test?
Thank you
Aurora Baccio

aurora baccio

Jul 11, 2021, 3:58:18 AMJul 11
good Sunday,
first of all I would like to thank you for the help you have given me and the advice you have given me.
I think I have solved it. I will have the final test tomorrow morning, but all the tests seem to be positive.
The problem was in the failure to close the timer of the initial mask. Once this error has been corrected, everything seems to have settled down.
Thanks again for your help.
Aurora Baccio

JohnMartens

Jul 11, 2021, 7:36:57 AMJul 11