Bug in "FREE" instruction on NEC V25 processor

11367...@compuserve.com

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Hello,

We develop an application for a v25 processor. Our soft is compiled with
BORLAND C 3.11 on a PC, and then we use a locator(exe2hex) to download it in
the V25. But we have encountered a problem with memory management : The
"malloc" instruction run correctly, but the "FREE" instruction doesn't
desallocate the memory. Is there someone who has already encountered this
problem or a similar problem? How did he resolve it?

Thanks for your answer.

Thomas

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

The implementation of the "free" statement is compiler dependent.
Have you tried the following newsgroups?
news:borland.public.cppbuilder (via forums.borland.com newsserver)
news:borland.public.cpp.language (via forums.borland.com newsserver)

--
Thomas Matthews
email: mat...@stamps.stortek.com

Lawrence Kirby

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
In article <76dfdc$po8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com> 11367...@compuserve.com writes:

>Hello,
>
>We develop an application for a v25 processor. Our soft is compiled with
>BORLAND C 3.11 on a PC, and then we use a locator(exe2hex) to download it in
>the V25. But we have encountered a problem with memory management : The
>"malloc" instruction run correctly, but the "FREE" instruction doesn't
>desallocate the memory. Is there someone who has already encountered this
>problem or a similar problem? How did he resolve it?

How do you know it doesn't deallocate the memory? Anyway what do you mean
by "deallocate" here? free() is meant to make the memory available for
reallocation by the same program, it generally doesn't return it to the
system (and very often it couldn't even if it wanted to since the free blocks
may be interspersed with allocated blocks).

Lawrence Kirby | fr...@genesis.demon.co.uk
Wilts, England | 7073...@compuserve.com