c vs c++

1 view

Steven Thomas Browning

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
The main question I have in this message is:
Which language should I concentrate on--C, C++, or both?

I realize that this is probably asked periodically but I didn't find it in the FAQ (although I
admit I haven't studied it entirely yet).

Here's my situation. I am currently a professional musician but I want to be a programmer. I don't
really know enough about the industry to know where I want to go w/ my programming, I just know
that I really enjoy it. I have taught myself AmigaBasic, dBase, Modula2, and FORTRAN, although not
much past the intermediate stage on any of them. In January I'll begin working toward a B.S. in
Computer Science. I am currently taking a course from a company called "Computer Based Training"
that is offered through my employer. The course covers C and C++ but I'm only about 1/3 of the way
through it (C++ comes at the end). In the mean time, I want to get a book to help me better
understand what I'm learning and as a reference. As you know, computer books are fairly expensive
(not complaining, just stating fact) and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. So back to the
first question. If I have to choose one or the other, which way should I lean?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might give. My classes begin in January so I expect
you'll be hearing from me in the future. These newsgroups are great resources--Thanks!

Steve Browning

Team Tropicana

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Steven Thomas Browning wrote:

> The main question I have in this message is:
> Which language should I concentrate on--C, C++, or both?

Neither. COBOL is the wave of the future.

--
(initiator of the campaign for grumpiness where grumpiness is due)
(team tropicana)

Thomas

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
And yet another "which is better" war has begun.

Use a newsreader tool to research these newsgroups, using the keywords "better"
and "language":
A free tool can be found at http://www.dejanews.com

The common answers:
1. Both are good, none are better.
2. Depends on the project.
3. Depends on the "House" coding style & language.
4. Learn both, the more the merrier.
5. Microsoft VC++ is not a language, but a tool to convert the language to an
executable form.

Just pick one, learn it, then learn the other. Why decide between the two when
you can learn both?

--
Thomas Matthews
email: mat...@stamps.stortek.com

Thomas

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
As a rebuttle to my reply to your post in news:comp.lang.c,
1. Don't learn either language.
There are probably better languages to suit your projects than C or C++.

2. It depends on the project.

3. Learn Lisp, Smalltalk, Fortan, Basic, Pascal and Ada.

4. Try Forth, Snobol, Cobol, PL/1 and Scheme.

5. Use a newsreader, like http://www.dejanews.com, and search for the keywords
"better" and "language".

I currently do both C and C++.

I can say that the language doesn't matter. The programming techniques, such as
encapsulation and data hiding, are more important. The language is just a tool
to implement the programming techniques and data structures.

Hey, many concepts can be implemented in Fortran, C and assembly language. The
goal is to choose the language that will get the job done best; provided you
have the oppertunity to choose the language. Some of use are stuck with the
House language.

For a more rounded decision, read some of the other language newsgroups:
news:comp.lang.* where * means many.

Steve Leibel

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
In article <75lekr$t...@sjx-ixn9.ix.netcom.com>, Steven Thomas Browning
<st...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> The main question I have in this message is:
> Which language should I concentrate on--C, C++, or both?

My two cents, and this is good advice.

* First learn C. Spend at least six months on it. Make friends with pointers.

* Then learn Java.

* Avoid C++ like the plague.

You may now flame away.

Steve L
ste...@coastside.net

David M. Cook

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:22:48 GMT, Steven Thomas Browning
<st...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Which language should I concentrate on--C, C++, or both?

I'd master C first. Did you expect a different answer in comp.lang.c ;}.

I also suggest picking up a "scripting" language like Python
(www.python.org.)

>In the mean time, I want to get a book to help me better
>understand what I'm learning and as a reference.

You should be able to find some good past recommendations in this newsgroup
via Dejanews. With your background, you should have no problem starting
with Kernighan and Ritchie. Harbison and Steele is a good reference book.

Dave Cook

Jeff Iverson

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
In my opinion you'd be far better off concentrating on C++. With that
said, here are some book recommendations:

The Apprentice C++ Programmer : A Touch of Class
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0534953395/qid=914479352/sr=1-19/002-6275827-6920063

The Beginner's Guide to C++
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1874416265/qid=914479352/sr=1-24/002-6275827-6920063

C++ : An Introduction to Computing
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0137443927/qid=914479541/sr=1-90/002-6275827-6920063

All of these books have received good reviews and I think would apply
to your self-described situation.

<st...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>The main question I have in this message is:

> Which language should I concentrate on--C, C++, or both?

Kind Regards,
Jeff Iverson
--
Iverson Software Co. 507-235-9209 - voice
418 N. State St. #7 507-235-8835 - fax

Martin Ambuhl

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
to j5r...@iversonsoftware.com
Jeff Iverson wrote:

> In my opinion you'd be far better off concentrating on C++. With that
> said, here are some book recommendations:

After that flamebait in comp.lang.c, I finally was moved to act on my
already rising anger. Could you please stop spamming this newsgroup
with your repeated cammercials for amazon.over-priced.and.spamming?

--
Martin Ambuhl (mam...@earthlink.net)
Note: mam...@tiac.net will soon be inactive

Pete

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98
Why buy book when you could read them free (legitimately) online?

Goto www.mcp.com/personal. Once you've done with the registering and all
the related fuzz, look under the programming section and you have at
your disposal around 10? titles related to C or C++. Check them out and
skim through the lot to find the one you want.

Lawrence Kirby

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/27/98
In article <36848B15...@ihug.co.nz> newm...@ihug.co.nz "Pete" writes:

>Why buy book when you could read them free (legitimately) online?

You can't read most of the good books online. Also reading online isn't
always "free" - some epople have to pay time based charges such as
telephone charges. Some people also find a hardcopy book easier to read.

>Goto www.mcp.com/personal. Once you've done with the registering and all
>the related fuzz, look under the programming section and you have at
>your disposal around 10? titles related to C or C++. Check them out and
>skim through the lot to find the one you want.

I only spotted one book on C in the list which is "Teach yourself C in
21 days" which is on many of the c.l.c regulars "avoid" list.

Lawrence Kirby | fr...@genesis.demon.co.uk
Wilts, England | 7073...@compuserve.com

Bill Silverstein

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
On 29 Dec 1998 01:57:10 GMT, Walter Strong wrote:

>Lawrence Kirby (fr...@genesis.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>Why is this book a 'to avoid'?

I don't think any of those Learn XXX in 21 days work. Otherwise they
would not sell many. Most bookstores have a 30 day return policy. If it
worked, you'd learn XXX in the 21 days and then return the book.

Remove(tongue_from_cheek);

Domain: sorehands.com User:bill
www.sorehands.com
Fired by Microsystems Software when he went to the Hospital.

Walter Strong

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

Nix

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Bill Silverstein > wrote in message <36885...@news1.ibm.net>...

>On 29 Dec 1998 01:57:10 GMT, Walter Strong wrote:
>

>>Lawrence Kirby (fr...@genesis.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>>: In article <36848B15...@ihug.co.nz> newm...@ihug.co.nz "Pete"
writes:

>>: >Why buy book when you could read them free (legitimately) online?
>>
>>: You can't read most of the good books online. Also reading online isn't
>>: always "free" - some epople have to pay time based charges such as
>>: telephone charges. Some people also find a hardcopy book easier to read.
>>
>>: >Goto www.mcp.com/personal. Once you've done with the registering and
all
>>: >the related fuzz, look under the programming section and you have at
>>: >your disposal around 10? titles related to C or C++. Check them out and
>>: >skim through the lot to find the one you want.
>>
>>: I only spotted one book on C in the list which is "Teach yourself C in
>>: 21 days" which is on many of the c.l.c regulars "avoid" list.

Who said that? There are only a few good books that
work well alone, but I really do not see whoever's logic and have to assume
that they are more interested in Programming XXX language than "coding."
Get one active coding book and a bunch of
reference books and you will learn how to program
better. Trust me, I know.

>>: --
>>: -----------------------------------------
>>: Lawrence Kirby | fr...@genesis.demon.co.uk
>>: Wilts, England | 7073...@compuserve.com
>>: -----------------------------------------
>>

>>Why is this book a 'to avoid'?
>>

>I don't think any of those Learn XXX in 21 days work. Otherwise they
>would not sell many. Most bookstores have a 30 day return policy. If it
>worked, you'd learn XXX in the 21 days and then return the book.
>
>Remove(tongue_from_cheek);

And you, your statement just doesnt make sense, even if I flip it around so
it does, it still isn't a valid
point to judge, after all, I am guessing you learned C/C++ from some sort of
educational institute.
Well, I got news for you, a lot of the AP stuff is really
just redirections and added functionality. It actually hinders learning of
real C/C++ programming, because you won't always have apvector or apstring
at your disposal. The only program I have respect for is the case study
(BigInt). Which actually does require some computer theory and initiative on
the part of the programmer.
Here's the best beginner-Intermediate book I have found "Jamsa's Programming
Bible." And before you
say anything, the reply is, "yes it is." But it really doesnt go outside of
C/C++ into the "art of coding",
which I highly recommend you find a book as such and get it. It will really
help for mixed-language/switching languages to develop solutions.

>Domain: sorehands.com User:bill
>www.sorehands.com
>Fired by Microsystems Software when he went to the Hospital.

That wasnt the reason they fired you. Read your post again. I really
dislike your opinion if you couldn't tell.
And no, you do not have the "right" to your own opinion. Especially when it
might affect someone
in their journey through life. (which is always=)

-Nix