Re: "warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]"

LeJacq, Jean Pierre

Feb 26, 2013, 11:48:02 AM2/26/13
galo...@gmail.com wrote:

> Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!
>
> Here is my compiler response:
>
> "gcc "./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c" -o "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT"
> && "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT" ./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c: In
> function ‘addFirst’: ./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c:40:16: warning:
> assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default] ./Desktop/C
> Programs/HeadFirstTests.c: In function ‘printList’: ./Desktop/C
> Programs/HeadFirstTests.c:51:7: warning: assignment from incompatible
> pointer type [enabled by default] "
>

> /* This program builds
> a basic linked list.
> gcc "./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c" -o "./Desktop/C
> Programs/HFT" && "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT"
> */
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <string.h>
>
> typedef struct { // Define a linked list node
> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;
> }LLNODE;

You are attempting to declare next with a yet undefined type. You must first
make declare the struct.

/* Declaration of struct. */
struct LLNODE;

/* Declaration of typedef. */
typedef struct LLNODE LLNODE;

/* Definition of struct. */
struct LLNODE {
char *name;
struct LLNODE *next;
};

As a bonus tip, use of all upper case for names of structs is poor style.
These should be reserved for macros.

--
JP

Marc Espie

Feb 26, 2013, 11:51:28 AM2/26/13
In article <clcm-2013...@plethora.net>, <galo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>typedef struct { // Define a linked list node
> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;
>}LLNODE;

you're confused about typedefs and unnamed struct.

This does two things:
- make the language aware that struct LLNODE should be a valid struct
(for which you have *no definition*, but this doesn't prevent the compiler
from declaring a pointer to it)
- typedef an anonymous struct as the name LLNODE.

So, struct LLNODE and LLNODE are totally different beasties.
No wonder the compiler warns about it.

I'm a bit surprised it just warns.

If you really want typedefs, you could use
typedef struct LLNODE {
char *name;
struct LLNODE *next;
} LLNODE;

but it doesn't bring you much.
Especially since you're obviously a beginner, I'd recommend spelling it
out for now, avoiding the typedef, an using the complete struct name
all the way...

Barry Schwarz

Feb 26, 2013, 11:47:59 AM2/26/13
On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:14:46 -0600 (CST), galo...@gmail.com wrote:

>Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!
>
>Here is my compiler response:
>
>"gcc "./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c" -o "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT" && "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT"
>./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c: In function �addFirst�:
>./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c:40:16: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
>./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c: In function �printList�:
>./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c:51:7: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
>"
>

>/* This program builds
> a basic linked list.
> gcc "./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c" -o "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT" && "./Desktop/C Programs/HFT"
>*/
>
>#include <stdio.h>
>#include <stdlib.h>
>#include <string.h>
>
>typedef struct { // Define a linked list node

At this point, you have "forward declared" a tagless structure type.

> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;

At this point, you have "forward declared" a structure type called
struct LLNODE.

>}LLNODE;

At this point, you have finished the definition of the tagless
structure and created a type LLNODE that is an alias for this
structure. Note that LLNODE is a completely different type than
struct LLNODE.

>void addFirst(char *data); //Declare function prototypes
>void printList(void);
>
>LLNODE *head = NULL; //Defind global pointer variable head
>

>int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>{
>
> addFirst("Johnson");
> addFirst("Robert");
> addFirst("Jerimiah");
> printList();
>

> return EXIT_SUCCESS;
>}
>
>void addFirst(char *data)
>{
>
> LLNODE *newNode;
> newNode = malloc(sizeof(LLNODE));
> newNode->name = data;
> newNode->next = head; //Keep getting errors here.

next is a pointer to struct LLNODE. head is a pointer to LLNODE. As
noted above, the two are not the same or even compatible types.

> head = newNode;
>
>}

The solution to your problem is to add the tag LLNODE to you tagless
structure so that LLNODE and struct LLNODE refer to the same type.

--
Remove del for email

Jasen Betts

Feb 26, 2013, 11:51:22 AM2/26/13
On 2013-01-05, galo...@gmail.com <galo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!
>
> Here is my compiler response:

> ./Desktop/C Programs/HeadFirstTests.c:40:16: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]

> typedef struct { // Define a linked list node
> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;
> }LLNODE;

Where is "struct LLNODE" defined ?

( the above defines "LLNODE" but does not define "struct LLNODE" )

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Andrei Voropaev

Feb 26, 2013, 11:51:31 AM2/26/13
On 2013-01-05, galo...@gmail.com <galo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
>
> typedef struct { // Define a linked list node
> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;
> }LLNODE;
>
> LLNODE *newNode;
> newNode = malloc(sizeof(LLNODE));
> newNode->name = data;
> newNode->next = head; //Keep getting errors here.

Of course it complains. You have never declared "struct LLNODE". So
compiler does not believe that assigning "LLNODE*" to "struct LLNODE*"
is acceptable. Standart way of handling this situation is

typedef struct LLNODE LLNODE;
struct LLNODE{
char * name;
LLNODE * next;
}

or

typedef struct LLNODE{
char *name;
struct LLNODE *next;
}LLNODE;

Gordon Burditt

Feb 26, 2013, 11:51:36 AM2/26/13
> typedef struct { // Define a linked list node
> char *name;
> struct LLNODE *next;
> }LLNODE;

Where did you define a "struct LLNODE" (not LLNODE, *struct LLNODE*)?
Assigning a pointer to an LLNODE to a pointer to an undefined struct
type is going to draw the type of warning that you got.

If this is a C++ program, use a C++ compiler.