online resources for c language beginners

yoodavid

Sep 18, 2013, 5:41:35 PM9/18/13
I have been playing with the k&R2 book, using some answers to
the exercises provided with it. Without the provided answers,
learning c would have been so difficult. Now, i understand how
elegant c is.
I really want to delve into the language. I am looking for a
site that has code repositories for beginners and
intermediates for practice. i want a respectable
site. And thanks in advance, especially to K&R2.
--
to authenticate is not to authorize. be responsible.

mt

Oct 3, 2013, 2:38:12 PM10/3/13
I learned how to program C from The Complete C Reference by H. Schildt. It a neat book for beginners, although not very popular.

James Kuyper

Oct 8, 2013, 5:37:53 PM10/8/13
On 10/03/2013 02:38 PM, mt wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:41:35 PM UTC-4, yoodavid wrote:
>> I have been playing with the k&R2 book, using some answers to
>> the exercises provided with it. Without the provided answers,
>> learning c would have been so difficult. Now, i understand how
>> elegant c is.
>
> I learned how to program C from The Complete C Reference by H. Schildt. It a neat book for beginners, although not very popular.

See <http://www.seebs.net/c/c_tcn4e.html> for an explanation of why it's
unpopular, and why being "a neat book" is not sufficient.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Oct 8, 2013, 5:37:58 PM10/8/13
mt <mah...@gmail.com> writes:
> I learned how to program C from The Complete C Reference by
> H. Schildt. It a neat book for beginners, although not very popular.

I think you just became Edward Nilges's new best friend.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

Keith Thompson

Oct 8, 2013, 5:38:06 PM10/8/13
mt <mah...@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> I learned how to program C from The Complete C Reference by
> H. Schildt. It a neat book for beginners, although not very popular.

It's unpopular for good reasons.

Every copy should be accompanied by a copy of "C: The Complete Nonsense"
<http://www.seebs.net/c/c_tcn4e.html>, written by our own moderator. If
you learned C from that book, I suggest you read that review of it; it's
likely you have a lot to unlearn.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks...@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Francis Glassborow

Oct 8, 2013, 5:38:10 PM10/8/13
On 03/10/2013 19:38, mt wrote:

> I learned how to program C from The Complete C Reference by H. Schildt. It a neat book for beginners,
although not very popular.

The problem for some of us is exactly the opposite. It is very popular
even though the author has repeatedly shown a faulty understanding of C
(and an even poorer grasp of C++) He writes fluent English and is
easily understood. Unfortunately that is not synonymous with being correct.

When a large number of experts find faults repeatedly in an author's
books it should suggest that there is a problem.

Beginners need good text that are correct and will lead them to learn to
program well.

Francis