Where is C language used mainly thes days?

mandie...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2008, 1:15:53 PM7/25/08
I am familiar with the syntax of C language but I dropped 'Intro to C"
class when I was studying for CIS degree and took C++., and then later
java.

I am pursuing Cisco certification and want o equip myself in doing the
programming part (using C) while also well-versed in out of the office
work in the service arena of the industry in order to become valuable
asset.

I still do not know all the exact detail about programming using C in
Cisco router such as whether it is in Unix environment or not. There
is a course at a local college called "System Programming in Unix" and
it uses "C". is that what I need to study? the class is offered only
once a year in Spring and so I must study on my own. I do not have
a linux box. I am thinking to install Linux via VM Ware and do my
studying? Any comment? Any guidance? Any resources? Thanks, Amanda
--
comp.lang.c.moderated - moderation address: cl...@plethora.net -- you must
or the newsgroup name in square brackets in the subject line. Sorry.

santosh

Jul 27, 2008, 1:21:47 PM7/27/08
mandie...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I am familiar with the syntax of C language but I dropped 'Intro to C"
> class when I was studying for CIS degree and took C++., and then later
> java.
>
> I am pursuing Cisco certification and want o equip myself in doing the
> programming part (using C) while also well-versed in out of the office
> work in the service arena of the industry in order to become valuable
> asset.
>
> I still do not know all the exact detail about programming using C in
> Cisco router such as whether it is in Unix environment or not. There
> is a course at a local college called "System Programming in Unix" and
> it uses "C". is that what I need to study? the class is offered only
> once a year in Spring and so I must study on my own. I do not have
> a linux box. I am thinking to install Linux via VM Ware and do my
> studying? Any comment? Any guidance? Any resources? Thanks, Amanda

AFAIK most Cisco hardware use their own operating system. However some
of them would use customised versions of a UNIX variant. In any case if
you intend to work in the server and networking fields knowledge of
UNIX is a valuable, indeed almost essential asset. C of course is a
very important PL used with UNIX, particularly in the maintenance and
improvement of existing software and system-level software.

As far as books go /Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment/ by the
late W. Richard Stevens is a well regarded and excellent book to start
of with. You can also consider his classic /UNIX Network Programming/,
a must-have for those considering network programming under UNIX and
clones like Linux, *BSDs etc.

WRT to installing Linux you would be better served by asking in a group
devoted to Linux. But with the proliferation of user friendly
distributions these days, installing one on your bare hardware (not
under a VM) is trivially easy and quick. Working under a "real"
installation is perhaps a better idea if you intend to do a lot of
networking related analysis and coding, since this becomes more complex
with a VM thrown in between Linux and the hardware/host, though it's
possible. Popular distributions are Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, Fedore,
Redhat, Slackware etc. You could also consider one of the BSDs like
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD or OpenSolaris from Sun.

<http://www.kohala.com/start/>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Richard_Stevens>
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/>
<http://gaia.cs.umass.edu/ntu_socket/>

Jack Klein

Jul 27, 2008, 1:22:04 PM7/27/08
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:15:53 -0500 (CDT), mandie...@gmail.com
wrote in comp.lang.c.moderated:

> Hi,
> I am familiar with the syntax of C language but I dropped 'Intro to C"
> class when I was studying for CIS degree and took C++., and then later
> java.
>
> I am pursuing Cisco certification and want o equip myself in doing the
> programming part (using C) while also well-versed in out of the office
> work in the service arena of the industry in order to become valuable
> asset.
>
> I still do not know all the exact detail about programming using C in
> Cisco router such as whether it is in Unix environment or not. There
> is a course at a local college called "System Programming in Unix" and
> it uses "C". is that what I need to study? the class is offered only
> once a year in Spring and so I must study on my own. I do not have
> a linux box. I am thinking to install Linux via VM Ware and do my
> studying? Any comment? Any guidance? Any resources? Thanks, Amanda

That depends on which Cisco router you are talking about. If you had
Googled "cisco operating system", the first hit would be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

This is used in the majority of their commercial equipment.

On the other hand, Cisco bought LinkSys, makers of consumer and small
business networking equipment a few years ago.

Had you Googled "linksys operating system", in the first few hits
would have been:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Paul D. DeRocco

Aug 7, 2008, 4:02:09 PM8/7/08
> <mandie...@gmail.com> wrote

> I am familiar with the syntax of C language but I dropped 'Intro to C"
> class when I was studying for CIS degree and took C++., and then later
> java.
>
> I am pursuing Cisco certification and want o equip myself in doing the
> programming part (using C) while also well-versed in out of the office
> work in the service arena of the industry in order to become valuable
> asset.
>
> I still do not know all the exact detail about programming using C in
> Cisco router such as whether it is in Unix environment or not. There
> is a course at a local college called "System Programming in Unix" and
> it uses "C". is that what I need to study? the class is offered only
> once a year in Spring and so I must study on my own. I do not have
> a linux box. I am thinking to install Linux via VM Ware and do my
> studying? Any comment? Any guidance? Any resources? Thanks, Amanda

I have no idea what Cisco uses, but C is quite common in embedded work,
probably because C++ in the hands of naive programmers often generates
enormous, inefficient executables. C++ can be used effectively for embedded
work, but only if you really understand what the compiler actually does with
it, which a lot of high-level programmers aren't. In embedded work it's
helpful to at least be able to read assembly language for the CPU you're
using, and to occasionally check out the code that's generated. This is less
of an issue with C, since there isn't much you can do in C that produces
unexpectely large amounts of machine code.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Aug 9, 2008, 1:08:13 PM8/9/08
"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> I have no idea what Cisco uses [...]

Cisco has a wide range of products. Some they developed themselves,
some were developed by companies that Cisco subsequently acquired, and
some are manufactured by third parties. Consequently, "what Cisco uses"
covers just about everything you can think of.

> but C is quite common in embedded work [...] In embedded work it's

> helpful to at least be able to read assembly language for the CPU
> you're using, and to occasionally check out the code that's generated

> [...]

Embedded work is not a homogenous field. I've worked on software for
multiple embedded devices (including one OEMed by Cisco). One was a
40-60 mix of assembler and C; others were C running on top of an
off-the-shelf RTOS, or Linux with either Busybox or a full GNU
environment. I've even worked on a project were the business logic was
implemented in Java on top of a stripped-down version of RedHat. Only
in the first case was there any need for or interest in assembler or
machine code.

I'll grant you that C is common, though.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

gaurav....@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2013, 12:25:46 AM9/7/13
The application areas of C langauge is in System Software such as Operating System, Interpreter , Compilers as well as in Applications Software such as Database System, Graphics packages. more details you can check on wwww.itinterviewquestion.com

Nitin Tripathi

Sep 11, 2013, 6:32:09 PM9/11/13
C language is used for optimizing the Processing, Specially in case of avoiding the database hits from Frontends to Application Database, as Database Hit is costly transaction.

Hence majority of Product's are still built in C whose application has millions of HITs.

Thanks,
Nitin Tripathi.