A guide to all the insane predictions made by Google’s new engineering director

Juarez Peace

Dec 22, 2012, 9:56:19 AM12/22/12
Report not abuse

A guide to all the insane predictions made by Google’s new engineering
director

by Brad Reed
http://is.gd/Kianma

Google made a very important hire this past week when it decided to
bring on famed futurist Ray Kurzweil as its new director of
engineering. What makes the hire particularly intriguing is Kurzweil
is equal parts brilliant and insane: He is a pioneer in fields such as
speech recognition technology but he also thinks he will live forever
after he uploads his consciousness onto a computer.

After learning about the Kurzweil hire, I decided to take a peak back
at my copy of The Singularity is Near, Kurzweil’s most famous futurist
tome where he predicted that human beings would soon “transcend
biology” and traverse the universe as immortal cyborgs. In no
particular order, here are some of Kurzweil’s craziest predictions.

In the 2040s, humans will develop “the means to instantly create
new portions of ourselves, either biological or nonbiologicial” so
that people can have “a biological body at one time and not at
another, then have it again, then change it, and so on.” (The
Singularity is Near, Page 258)

By the late 2020s, we’ll be able to eat as much junk food as we
want because we’ll all have nanobots injected into our bodies that
will provide us with all the proper nutrients we need while also
eliminating all the excess fat we’ll gain from eating 20 bags of
Doritos every day. (Page 304)

By 2010, “computers… will become essentially invisible: woven into
our clothing, embedded in our furniture and environment.” Although the
concept of “wearable” computers has been tossed around quite a bit,
we’re a long way off from a time when Samsung (005930) will be able to
sell its first Galaxy Sweater model. (Page 312)

At an undetermined point in the future, we’ll be able to beam
ourselves into another person’s brain and experience the world as they
see it, just as in the film Being John Malkovich. (Page 316)

By 2033, “virtual prostitution” will be legalized. (Page 318)

By the mid-21st century, people will evolve into “software-based
humans” who will “live out on the Web, projecting bodies whenever they
need or want them, including holographically projected bodies, foglet-
projected bodies, and physical bodies comprising nanobot
swarms.” (Page 325)

Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that
his flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0″) could die before he
gets to upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a
swarm of nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such
technological marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills)
a day” and receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week
(basically nutritional supplements delivered directly into my
bloodstream, thereby bypassing my GI tract).” (page 211)

While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also
the price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at
immortality. So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right
now, he may have the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and
he’s whirring about as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

Highway to Hell

Dec 22, 2012, 8:06:10 PM12/22/12
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:56:19 -0800, Juarez Peace wrote:

> Google made a very important hire this past week when it decided to
> bring on famed futurist Ray Kurzweil as its new director of engineering.
> What makes the hire particularly intriguing is Kurzweil is equal parts
> brilliant and insane: He is a pioneer in fields such as speech
> recognition technology but he also thinks he will live forever after he
> uploads his consciousness onto a computer.

If you'd have told a 14th-century peasant that there'd be a huge merchant
class in the future who would sit in huge metal cylinders eating meals
and drinking wine while the cylinders hurtled through the air faster than
a speeding arrow across oceans and continents to bring them to far-flung
business opportunities, the peasant would have classified you as insane.
And he'd have been wrong to the tune of a few gazillion frequent-flyer
miles.

> By 2010, “computers… will become essentially invisible: woven into
> our clothing, embedded in our furniture and environment.” Although the
> concept of “wearable” computers has been tossed around quite a bit,
> we’re a long way off from a time when Samsung (005930) will be able to
> sell its first Galaxy Sweater model. (Page 312)

A smartphone in a pocket seems to be close enough. And I saw a home
recently with small computerized gadgets inset into the *floor vents*.
Cloud-computing-connected TVs and other items are becoming commonplace.

> Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that his
> flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0″) could die before he gets to
> upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a swarm of
> nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such technological
> marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills) a day” and
> receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week (basically
> nutritional supplements delivered directly into my bloodstream, thereby
> bypassing my GI tract).” (page 211)

Has he also signed up for cryonics?

> While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also the
> price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at immortality.
> So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right now, he may have
> the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and he’s whirring about
> as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

So Google hired Kurzweil. The really interesting question, then, is if
anyone's getting consultancies from Eliezer Yudkowsky ...
Message has been deleted

Swifty

Dec 23, 2012, 2:30:07 AM12/23/12
On 22/12/2012 14:56, Juarez Peace wrote:
> By the late 2020s, we’ll be able to eat as much junk food as we
> want because we’ll all have nanobots injected into our bodies that
> will provide us with all the proper nutrients we need while also
> eliminating all the excess fat we’ll gain from eating 20 bags of
> Doritos every day.

He's about 8 years out, as an eating regime published in May 2012 has
already brought this about. See http://www.swiftys.org.uk/diet.html for
the experiment that I'm running on myself.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/

Roedy Green

Dec 23, 2012, 12:23:13 PM12/23/12
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:56:19 -0800 (PST), Juarez Peace
<joe....@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :
>his flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0?) could die before he
>gets to upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a
>swarm of nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such
>technological marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills)
>a day” and receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week
>(basically nutritional supplements delivered directly into my
>bloodstream, thereby bypassing my GI tract).” (page 211)
>
>While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also
>the price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at
>immortality. So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right
>now, he may have the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and
>he’s whirring about as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

You are an ignorant ass. Kurzweil has a far better record of success
at prediction than other futurists. Read WHY he says what he says.
Just because it does not jibe with YOUR limited intuition does not
make it wrong. He does not just pull his predictions out of his ass.