A plea...

Ben Bacarisse

Jul 16, 2022, 10:24:48 PM7/16/22
Please don't respond to Peter Olcott's posts here. His threads have
taken over comp.theory, but there is no reason that comp.lang c (or
comp.lang.c++) should suffer the same fate. These two groups have had
many interesting threads over the years, but they will die if they fill
up with junk.

If you want to reply to him, just pick any of the thousands of posts in
comp.theory and he'll be as happy to insult you and call you ignorant
there as he is here.

I've not made this a head post because I don't want to single anyone
out. Everyone who'd got something out of comp.lang.c should care about
its curation...

--
Ben.

olcott

Jul 16, 2022, 10:32:43 PM7/16/22
As soon as I get closure (very close now) I won't need to post on USENET
at all. The current version of my work can only be properly reviewed by
software engineers. The computer science issues are being addressed
through emails to computer scientists.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Skep Dick

Jul 17, 2022, 6:35:14 AM7/17/22
On Sunday, 17 July 2022 at 04:32:43 UTC+2, olcott wrote:
> As soon as I get closure (very close now) I won't need to post on USENET

Your closure-seeking loop seems to be stuck in an infinite loop.

If your halting decider actually worked you would've terminated your closure-seeking loop by now.

Irony has a certain flavour...

olcott

Jul 17, 2022, 8:51:35 AM7/17/22
The problem is that I perfectly makes my point and my reviewers simply
ignore all these words and change the subject.

Juha Nieminen

Jul 17, 2022, 10:38:41 AM7/17/22
In comp.lang.c++ Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> Please don't respond to Peter Olcott's posts here. His threads have
> taken over comp.theory, but there is no reason that comp.lang c (or
> comp.lang.c++) should suffer the same fate. These two groups have had
> many interesting threads over the years, but they will die if they fill
> up with junk.

Since usenet posts are threaded, it's very easy to ignore the threads
created by him.

(This is, in fact, a major reason to *not* killfile someone you don't
want to see: If you killfile that person you won't see if a thread
was started by that person. Instead, you will only see the replies,
which will mislead you into the thread. You are essentially hiding
the thread original poster from yourself, which makes no sense.
You *want* to see who created the thread so that you can decide
whether to even open it or not. Why would you want to hide it
from yourself?

Usenet killfiles are the perfect example of something that sounds
good on paper but actually ends up being more detrimental to yourself
than useful. This is because of the threaded nature of usenet. Unless,
perhaps, your usenet reader is somehow capable of hiding entire threads
based on the original poster. But then, why do you care if that person
posts or not? It's all hidden from you.)

Ben Bacarisse

Jul 17, 2022, 8:25:02 PM7/17/22
Juha Nieminen <nos...@thanks.invalid> writes:

> In comp.lang.c++ Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>> Please don't respond to Peter Olcott's posts here. His threads have
>> taken over comp.theory, but there is no reason that comp.lang c (or
>> comp.lang.c++) should suffer the same fate. These two groups have had
>> many interesting threads over the years, but they will die if they fill
>> up with junk.
>
> Since usenet posts are threaded, it's very easy to ignore the threads
> created by him.

Agreed. The trouble, as evidenced by other groups, it the junk drives
non-regulars away so newcomers will be few, and fresh questions and
ideas dry up.

> (This is, in fact, a major reason to *not* killfile ...

My newsreader has a scoring system that is far more sophisticated than a
kill file. I can even "score down" sub-threads where PO jumps in to
poison the thread. The trouble is that newbies don't do this sort of
thing. One look at comp.lang.c++ in GG and they will go elsewhere.

--
Ben.

olcott

Jul 17, 2022, 8:43:23 PM7/17/22
All that anyone would have to do to get me to leave these two groups is
simply apply the correct and quite simple software engineering to
validate the software engineering of what I have said.

I am working with people offline so this may quickly resolve things too.

I am, also trying to help get Richard and Flibble to stop talking about
non-software engineering related stuff here too. I moved Flibble to
comp.theory already. I would be willing to unblock Richard if he goes
there too.

Richard Damon

Jul 17, 2022, 10:44:49 PM7/17/22
In other words, you are asking people to LIE for you, since you are NOT
using actual correct software engineering principles.

I have pointed out the errors that you have made in software-engineering
principles, but you just ignore it, because fixing them would break your
"proof"

I am only here, because you said you blocked me in comp.theory

Manfred

Jul 17, 2022, 11:35:16 PM7/17/22
That is not a good reason to spread olcott's garbage in this group.

I, like many others I guess, don't have a sophisticated newsreader as
Ben has, and, although I have blocked PO a wile ago, I still get a /lot/
of his garbage because of your replies.
Now, I could block you too, but so far I don't have a reason to do this,
unless you keep pouring olcott's stuff in here.

All in all, Ben is very much right when he says that being filled up
with junk is the biggest threat to usenet in general (which is in fact
largely dead already because of this exact problem), and c.l.c and
c.l.c++ in particular, which have somehow managed to keep some standard
of activity and interest.
It would be a pity if these groups would die too.

olcott

Jul 17, 2022, 11:35:25 PM7/17/22
No I am asking you to move to comp.theory so you don't ruin comp.c and
comp.c++

> I have pointed out the errors that you have made in software-engineering
> principles, but you just ignore it, because fixing them would break your
> "proof"
>
> I am only here, because you said you blocked me in comp.theory

So I unblocked you to address Ben's plea.

olcott

Jul 17, 2022, 11:39:42 PM7/17/22
For that reason I addressed Ben's plea.
Ben has been reviewing my work since 2006.

Juha Nieminen

Jul 18, 2022, 1:28:59 AM7/18/22
Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> My newsreader has a scoring system that is far more sophisticated than a
> kill file. I can even "score down" sub-threads where PO jumps in to
> poison the thread. The trouble is that newbies don't do this sort of
> thing. One look at comp.lang.c++ in GG and they will go elsewhere.

Usenet is mostly dead anyway.

olcott

Jul 18, 2022, 8:58:31 AM7/18/22
On 7/18/2022 4:54 AM, Mark Bluemel wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 July 2022 at 03:24:47 UTC+1, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Please don't respond to Peter Olcott's posts here.
>
> Vain hope. Even threads not initially about his vacuous waffle are now
> being subverted by the monomaniac and his enablers
>
> The age of the functional unmoderated forum appears over.
>
> Can the last to leave please turn the lights out.

I already got them to move to comp.theory because of Ben's plea.

Chris M. Thomasson

Jul 18, 2022, 4:49:28 PM7/18/22
Yet, this group still produces wonderful and insightful answers from
highly talented, experienced programmers. Btw, "mostly dead" reminds me
of the following scene from the Princess Bride:

https://youtu.be/d4ftmOI5NnI?t=40

Vir Campestris

Jul 18, 2022, 5:03:43 PM7/18/22
On 18/07/2022 01:24, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> My newsreader has a scoring system that is far more sophisticated than a
> kill file. I can even "score down" sub-threads where PO jumps in to
> poison the thread. The trouble is that newbies don't do this sort of
> thing. One look at comp.lang.c++ in GG and they will go elsewhere.

Which newsreader are you using? It doesn't plant the agent name.

(I'm using Thunderbird which has developed a really annoying bug. It
hides all threads, not just the unread ones, and forgets the sort
settings. For some groups at random...)

Andy

Ben Bacarisse

Jul 18, 2022, 6:39:37 PM7/18/22
Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Which newsreader are you using? It doesn't plant the agent name.

Gnus. I thought it did announce itself, or I'd have said. Maybe
something has changed over the years.

--
Ben.

Keith Thompson

Jul 18, 2022, 8:27:19 PM7/18/22
That's odd. I use Gnus, and it inserts this header line:

Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) Keith.S.T...@gmail.com
Working, but not speaking, for Philips

David Brown

Jul 19, 2022, 3:23:50 AM7/19/22
On 19/07/2022 02:27, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>> Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> Which newsreader are you using? It doesn't plant the agent name.
>>
>> Gnus. I thought it did announce itself, or I'd have said. Maybe
>> something has changed over the years.
>
> That's odd. I use Gnus, and it inserts this header line:

Perhaps Ben has been secretly posting from a Windows machine, and has
turned off the User-Agent line so that no one sees it :-)

Mut...@dastardlyhq.com

Jul 19, 2022, 4:29:44 AM7/19/22
On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:27:03 -0700
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>> Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> Which newsreader are you using? It doesn't plant the agent name.
>>
>> Gnus. I thought it did announce itself, or I'd have said. Maybe
>> something has changed over the years.
>
>That's odd. I use Gnus, and it inserts this header line:

Emacs? Don't tell me its now a newsreader too?

Mut...@dastardlyhq.com

Jul 19, 2022, 4:30:43 AM7/19/22
This sort of thing is why I wrote my own usenet utilities. NNTP is a pretty
simple protocol so anyone with network programming experience should have
no problem doing the same.

David Brown

Jul 19, 2022, 8:06:53 AM7/19/22
As the saying goes, the only difference between Emacs and a complete OS
is the lack of a simple text editor. Yes, Emacs has a newsreader.

Ralf Fassel

Jul 19, 2022, 8:35:01 AM7/19/22
* Mut...@dastardlyhq.com
| >That's odd. I use Gnus, and it inserts this header line:

| Emacs? Don't tell me its now a newsreader too?

#define 'now'... Gnus in Emacs is around since about 1995...

R'

Mut...@dastardlyhq.com

Jul 19, 2022, 10:54:16 AM7/19/22
:o)

Mut...@dastardlyhq.com

Jul 19, 2022, 10:56:33 AM7/19/22
I tried emacs once as a student and fled back to vi. Never used it since so
I wouldn't even know if it had gained sentience and run for office never
mind what its built in utilities are.

Jack Lemmon

Jul 19, 2022, 2:54:24 PM7/19/22
On 18/07/2022 22:03, Vir Campestris wrote:

> (I'm using Thunderbird which has developed a really annoying bug. It
> hides all threads, not just the unread ones, and forgets the sort
> settings. For some groups at random...)

Perhaps you should post this to Thunderbird Newsgroup where they might
tell you what your mistakes. Thunderbird is pretty robust newsreader.

Chris M. Thomasson

Jul 19, 2022, 6:37:26 PM7/19/22
LOL!

Jim the Geordie

Jul 19, 2022, 7:49:45 PM7/19/22
In article <tb6ujm$3hi4a$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, inv...@invalid.net
says...
Or try Gravity

--
Jim the Geordie

Ben Bacarisse

Jul 19, 2022, 8:28:03 PM7/19/22
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>> Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> Which newsreader are you using? It doesn't plant the agent name.
>>
>> Gnus. I thought it did announce itself, or I'd have said. Maybe
>> something has changed over the years.
>
> That's odd. I use Gnus, and it inserts this header line:

I think I turned it off... I've been fiddling with Gnus/Emacs for
years.

--
Ben.

Manfred

Jul 19, 2022, 9:09:31 PM7/19/22
That makes sense. I guess the entertaining part, now, is figuring out
how to turn it back on..

olcott

Jul 21, 2022, 3:11:58 PM7/21/22
*I addressed your plea*

*Can you please begin reviewing my work again on comp.theory?*
*I just got out of the hospital I was very sick*
I will post the full C source-code of the halt decider.

Primarily I want it addressed as software engineering.
H(P,P)==0 is correct even if H is not a computable function.

Only after it is *fully reviewed* at the software engineering
level (which might be a breakthrough in the field of termination
analysis) then I want it reviewed as a computable function.

Vir Campestris

Jul 25, 2022, 7:11:52 AM7/25/22
I did. I even raised a formal bug, and found other people reporting the
same thing.

Sadly the Thunderbird team seem more interested in new features.

I might get around to downloading the source and investigating, but
despite having just retired I don't seem to have the time.

Andy