"The state of the C++ developer ecosystem"

Lynn McGuire

Jan 17, 2024, 6:12:02 PMJan 17
"The state of the C++ developer ecosystem"

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3712186/the-state-of-the-c-plus-plus-developer-ecosystem.html

"JetBrains’ Developer Ecosystem 2023 report shows where C++ developers
stand on C++ language versions, IDEs, package managers, build tools,
code analysis tools, and AI-assisted development. Let’s dive in."

Some interesting stats there.

Lynn

Bonita Montero

Jan 19, 2024, 7:49:47 AMJan 19
Am 18.01.2024 um 00:11 schrieb Lynn McGuire:

> "The state of the C++ developer ecosystem"
> https://www.infoworld.com/article/3712186/the-state-of-the-c-plus-plus-developer-ecosystem.html

I don't remember exactly who said that, but someone here said
that hardly anything more than C++11 is used today. This study
probably says something completely different.

wij

Jan 19, 2024, 8:46:37 AMJan 19
I just accept constexpr in C++11 to replace those in std::limits, and
some
others I did not know they were defined in C++11.
But I think what the webpage says is sensible, because New C++
programmers will adopt 'cutting edge' technology without questioning.

Bonita Montero

Jan 19, 2024, 9:27:34 AMJan 19
Am 19.01.2024 um 14:46 schrieb wij:

> But I think what the webpage says is sensible, because New C++
> programmers will adopt 'cutting edge' technology without questioning.

New technologies overburden you.

Bo Persson

Jan 19, 2024, 10:22:59 AMJan 19
On 2024-01-19 at 14:46, wij wrote:

> But I think what the webpage says is sensible, because New C++
> programmers will adopt 'cutting edge' technology without questioning.

What do you mean "without questioning"? I ask myself all the time: "Here
is a new tool that does exactly what I need. Should I start to use it?".

And the answer most often is "Yes".

wij

Jan 19, 2024, 11:22:35 AMJan 19
Surprise! How do you know?
I remembered you liked to use lambda almost everywhere possible.
Sadly I did not decide to learn it exactly for the sake of overburden
me.

wij

Jan 19, 2024, 11:26:23 AMJan 19
I was describing those young people just graduated from school.

Bonita Montero

Jan 19, 2024, 11:28:04 AMJan 19
Am 19.01.2024 um 17:22 schrieb wij:
> On Fri, 2024-01-19 at 15:27 +0100, Bonita Montero wrote:
>> Am 19.01.2024 um 14:46 schrieb wij:
>>
>>> But I think what the webpage says is sensible, because New C++
>>> programmers will adopt 'cutting edge' technology without
>>> questioning.
>>
>> New technologies overburden you.
>>

> Surprise! How do you know?
> I remembered you liked to use lambda almost everywhere possible.

I'm using lambdas to isolate code which doesn't make sense as a sepate
function because it isn't reused or to save redundant code. Both makes
the code more readable.

> Sadly I did not decide to learn it exactly for the sake of overburden
> me.

Of course.