callable object to function-pointer

Bonita Montero

Sep 12, 2021, 10:46:12 AM9/12/21
I've got an idea how a compiler could convert a callable object to a
plain C function-pointer at runtime, i.e. each callable object would
get an individually runtime-"compiled" C-function.
The compiler would have to generate a skeleton of a stub-function which
will be called as a normal C-fuction and call the individual object's
calling-operator with the same parameters the C-function is called with
but of course with the implicit this or context-pointer (if it is a
lamda). This skeleton has an unassigned pointer to the called function
-object (with a function object I don't mean necessarily a function<>
object but all objects with a calling-operator). Then there's some
additional code that would be called at runtime when a stub would be
copyied to some memory that's writable as well as executable; this
"adjustment-code" will relocate the individually adjusted stub for an
object to its address and relocate the this or context-pointer. So if
you would create such a stub the readjustment-code would be called with
the address of the called object, allocate executable storage for the
copied stub, readjust all the pointers within it, adjust the pointer
to the called object and everything is fine.
It would be best that the callable object's parameters are all native
types or references so that there wouldn't be any additional object
-copying inside the stub.
I came to this idea because with Windows there are some APIs with
callbacks where you can't pass a context-pointer to the API which
will be handed to the callback. Normaly I use a lambda without a
capture here and this lambda accesses a thread-local variable defined
outside that lambda as a context. But that fits only when the callback
won't be called again after the API-call has finished. So in this
cases such a conversion if a callable object to a bare function-pointer
would be nice.

Paavo Helde

Sep 12, 2021, 11:44:46 AM9/12/21
This looks like a trampoline. The wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trampoline_(computing) also mentions
trampolines generated at run time (for implementing nested function
pointers), but those live on the stack, so the memory management is a
bit easier.

The general security considerations about having writable+executable
memory segments are probably the most serious hindrance against such
techniques.

Alf P. Steinbach

Sep 13, 2021, 1:06:06 PM9/13/21
As Paavo Helde notes in his reply it's called a trampoline.

Trampolines were used in Borland Pascal's windowing library, and I guess
they did the same in Borland C++.

One C++ expert that's done some work on trampolines: Andrei
Alexandrescu. Andrei is or was much like Bjarne. One could e-mail him
and he'd answer to the best of his ability. As I recall I've only
¹intersected his path five times, but I think it's enough to say that
the opinion that you can mail him and will probably get help with this
is an informed one.

One C++ programmer who's submitted or at least started on a proposal for
standardization of C++ trampoline generation: the good Puppy (I don't
recall his real name) in the C++ Lounge at Stack Overflow.

You could visit the Lounge and air the question. Chances are that the
puppy wrote some implementation for his proposal. As I recall he
attended one committee meeting for this.

- Alf

Notes:
¹ I provided some feedback on the first ScopeGuard implementation
(Andrei helped the original inventor Petru Marginean publish a DDJ
article about it and provided some helper functionality), namely that
their use of `__LINE__` at that time didn't work with a special option
in Visual C++, and that they swallowed exceptions; I was one of the
reviewers of his "Mojo" framework for C++03 move semantics, where I
failed to see the big problem that someone else noticed, and Andrei then
corrected, and I even at first failed to compile it, but Andrei helped
me out; I fixed the failure/succeess return code of `WinMain` for the D
language, where Andrei and Walter Bright somehow, very perplexingly, got
that wrong; as a clc++m contributor I engaged in an escalating debate
with Andrei about SESE versus SEME, where I used so strong words that a
posting was rejected and I had to apologize, and the moderators
explained that they had accepted the posting without looking because it
was two experts debating (that was the first time I was ever called a
C++ expert); and, but I'm not sure I remember this correctly, but
something like this, later as clc++m moderator I accepted a posting that
included a link to an illegal PDF of Andrei's "Modern C++ Design" book,
and he was absolutely not pleased about that.