Simulating Halt Decider (SHD) Copyright (c) 2022 Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble

Oct 24, 2022, 2:19:51 PM10/24/22
Signaling (Simulating) Halt Decider (SHD) Copyright (c) 2022 Mr Flibble:

I have an idea for a signaling simulating halt decider that forks the
simulation into two branches if the input calls the halt decider as
per [Strachey 1965]'s "Impossible Program":

void P(void (*x)())
{
if (H(x, x))
infinite_loop: goto infinite_loop;
return;
}

int main()
{
std::cout << "Input halts: " << H(P, P) << std::endl;
}

When the simulator detects the call to H in P it forks the simulation
into a non-halting branch (returning 0 to P) and a halting branch
(returning 1 to P) and continues the simulation of these two branches
in parallel.

If the non-halting branch is determined to halt AND the halting branch
is determined to not halt then pathology is detected and reported via
a sNaP (signaling Not a Program) signal (analogous to IEEE 754's
sNaN (signaling Not a Number) signal)

If EITHER branch is determined to be correctly decided then that will
be the decision of the halting decider.

Crucially this scheme will handle (and correctly decide) the
following case whereby the result of H is discarded by the input:

void Px(void (*x)())
{
(void) H(x, x);
return;
}

Obviously my idea necessitates extending the definition of a halt
decider:

1) Decider decision is HALTS if input halts.
2) Decider decision is NON-HALTING if input does not halt.
3) Decider rejects pathological input as invalid by signaling sNaP.

https://github.com/i42output/halting-problem#readme

/Flibble

Jens

Oct 25, 2022, 2:59:00 AM10/25/22
Hello,

I don't know about the Flippledi Fish Application
FFA, which is similar to the Commercial Channel where you can
order a cat toy called "Flibbeldi Fish".

I don't know about SHD, nor I don't know if it a own creation
of a word for private usage (not commonly used abbrev. words).

But, when I read your post's, you would implement a Halt-
problem Application.

Why do you not implement a Thread into your Application, that
check a Timer-Interval-Procedure/Function each 1 ... 4 second
about tasks in the Environment of the Application ?

You can implement a Flag member for Boolean false/true ...
If the flag comes over the Time Limit, then the application is
in idle state, and maybe have a Halt-Problem.

Else, the Flag is false, the Application run in normal mode,
with setting the Timer Inverval to 1.

So far I can see, Microsoft Windows 10/11 start for each single
Task/Application a Reques-Broker this check the main-Application
in the similar way like I describe above.

This implicit, that you have new Hardware, and a huge amount of
Memory.
But in a days, today. This should not be a Problem anymore.

Hope This Helps
Jens

olcott

Mar 9, 2023, 3:31:26 PM3/9/23
I created the notion of a simulating halt decider in this forum
On 3/14/2017 at 9:05 AM

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Mr Flibble

Mar 10, 2023, 7:47:03 AM3/10/23
Your simulating halt decider is invalid though as it doesn't distinguish
between non-halting non-pathological input and pathological input. The
Flibble Simulating Halt Decider is the *first* SHD that solves the
halting problem.

/Flibble

olcott

Mar 10, 2023, 11:48:58 AM3/10/23
I came up with the idea that the Peter Linz halting problem proof is
decidable as non-halting six years ago in this forum.

On 3/11/2017 3:13 PM [Infinitely Recursive input on HP Proofs]

All of the conventional halting theorem proofs have this same issue.

Instead of merely detecting the pathological relationship and rejecting
this input, the otherwise "impossible" input is correctly determined to
be non-halting.

Mr Flibble

Mar 10, 2023, 2:06:06 PM3/10/23
A halt decider MUST give a ternary result that includes "invalid input";
the traditional binary result of halting/non-halting is not sufficient
to solve the halting problem as it doesn't recognize the category error
present in the definition of the problem. Your SHD is invalid and
worthless; Mr Flibble SHD is perfect and correct.

/Flibble

olcott

Mar 10, 2023, 2:29:49 PM3/10/23
You can't even provide the criterion measure that you use in the
conditional statements that recognizes pathological self-reference
(Olcott 2004).

01 int D(int (*x)())
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11 H(D,D);
12 }

I provide fully operational software that does correctly determine that
D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own "return"
instruction and halt whether or not this simulation is ever aborted.

H(D,D) is fully operational in the x86utm operating system:
https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm

Mr Flibble

Mar 10, 2023, 2:41:43 PM3/10/23
Software that is fully operational and wrong is still wrong, and
worthless. A SHD *must* return a ternary result that includes "invalid
program" in order to solve the halting problem as the SHD *must*
correctly recognize the category error present in the definition of the
problem itself.

/Flibble

olcott

Mar 14, 2023, 2:51:42 PM3/14/23
On 10/24/2022 1:19 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
The Halting Paradox
Bill Stoddart
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1906.05340.pdf

Our programming intuition tells us that S will not terminate because
when H (S) is invoked within S, H will not terminate. However, we cannot
require H to return a value to report this, because that would require
it to terminate! We provide a programming example based on a a halt test
for a small set of programs, where we resolve this by allowing the
option for the halt test to report via an error message when it finds
itself in this situation. However, we can require that the halt test
should always halt in other situations.

Richard Damon

Mar 14, 2023, 3:00:59 PM3/14/23
So, you don't notice that he actually ACCEPTS that the Halting Problem,
AS DEFINED, is in fact, impossible to solve, but tries to see if there
is some way to alter the "rules" of computability theory to allow one to
define one.

Yes, if a program can use data that isn't part of its formal input, it
might be able to do something, but then compuations are no longer
representives of mathematical mappings, so such a definition breaks the
usefulness of the Theory.

olcott

Mar 14, 2023, 3:02:27 PM3/14/23
Olcott simulating halt decider exactly six years ago today
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Solution to one instance of the Halting Problem

Chris M. Thomasson

Mar 14, 2023, 9:13:34 PM3/14/23
Can it handle a so-called "black box" program? Does it halt?

olcott

Mar 14, 2023, 10:09:07 PM3/14/23
This is not Flibble's idea, This is my idea.
Flibble says that he is only a troll and does not mean what he says.

01 int D(int (*x)())
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11 H(D,D);
12 }

If you want to talk about this more meet me on comp.theory.
My halt decider is fully operational code.

Siri Cruise

Mar 15, 2023, 12:12:05 AM3/15/23
In article <tur9bh$jo9p$1...@dont-email.me>,
olcott <polc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to talk about this more meet me on comp.theory.
> My halt decider is fully operational code.

So if my program continues until it finds an exception to
goldbach's conjecture, your fully operational code will tell me
if it halts?

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
I am an Andrea Chen sockpuppet. insults Islam. Mohammed

olcott

Mar 15, 2023, 12:20:54 AM3/15/23
On 3/14/2023 11:11 PM, Siri Cruise wrote:
> In article <tur9bh$jo9p$1...@dont-email.me>,
> olcott <polc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you want to talk about this more meet me on comp.theory.
>> My halt decider is fully operational code.
>
> So if my program continues until it finds an exception to
> goldbach's conjecture, your fully operational code will tell me
> if it halts?

01 int D(int (*x)())
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11 H(D,D);
12 }

I only correctly determine the halt status of the above "impossible"
input that previously proved the halting theorem.

WorkingWorking

Mar 15, 2023, 10:37:28 AM3/15/23
On 3/14/2023 2:51 PM, olcott wrote:

<snip>

> --
> Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

To everyone: this filthy scumbag "Peter Olcott" was arrested in Apr 2015
for possession of copious amounts of child pornography.

"Investigators reportedly seized 30 VHS tapes of suspected child
pornography and more than 100 magazines and pictures of child pornography."

https://www.ketv.com/article/man-believed-child-porn-was-legal-because-he-was-god-authorities-say/7652218

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPPJBYc2B0