Entertainment

1 view

Mr. Anderson

Dec 30, 2013, 8:42:46 PM12/30/13
I've been reading some of your old exchanges with Marty and Chuck.
Very entertaining.

Mr. Anderson

John Doe

Dec 30, 2013, 11:14:36 PM12/30/13
Mr. Anderson <matrixlove yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been reading some of your old exchanges with Marty and
> Chuck. Very entertaining.

Chuck? No. Just Marty. He thought spamming UseNet was okay. I
disagreed. There is no moderator, so he wasn't able to pull any
strings. Apparently Marty's business was going downhill and he was
upset about that.

Nobody posts in the speech group anymore, so it was much to do
about nothing.

Coincidentally, I recently replied or meant to reply (I forget) to
Chuck in the speech computing group. I'm having much trouble with
DNS 12 and I accused him of spamming his signature (it is a long
signature). But if I did in fact post, the forum owner might have
removed it. But of course that's okay, that's the way moderated
groups are. I think NaturallySpeaking has been sold several times
over the last five years or so, so apparently this speech business
needs all the revenue it can get.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Chuck in the speech
computing group. I've gotten along with Chuck reasonably well,
nothing like Marty. I have little interaction with Chuck.

I'm not the only person Marty has gotten into it with, another
notable is the guy that runs the No-Brainer forum.

Marty likes to think of himself as technically inclined, but he
isn't. His most recent reply to a technical issue I brought up in
the speech computing forum shows that. I was complaining about WAV
sound feedback Windows Speech Recognition was hearing during macro
playback. Marty jumped in saying that could not be the case. In
fact, as per Eric Brown's advice, changing a registry setting
solved the problem and proved that in fact it was the case.

Sometimes spammers chime in on subjects just so they can spam
their business. That annoys me. They can get away with it in
commercial web forums, but not easily here on UseNet.

I have been doing all sorts of computer stuff. Found a significant
bug in DNS, at least in Windows 8. So I'm going to have to migrate
backwards and wait until they get it fixed. Uhg.

Please let me know if and when you make a release version of your
simplest project.

> Mr. Anderson

John Doe

Jan 9, 2014, 7:48:39 PM1/9/14
Mr. Anderson <matrixlove yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been reading some of your old exchanges with Marty and Chuck.
> Very entertaining.

I can't imagine anybody finding that garbage to be entertainment,
especially when at the same time they claim to have too much
reading to do. But anyways...

Chuck isn't comparable to Marty. Marty is one-of-a-kind. And
somehow he has been appointed moderator of the Speech Computing
forum. So I won't be there until that's corrected. The description
"predatory vendor" is probably fair (I wouldn't be that fair).

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/textthread.cfm?catid=4&threadid=4201&filtmsgid=33156

Martin Markoe has managed to get himself banned on so many forums
that we haven't been able to keep up with the count which ranges
from EMR to speech recognition forums. With the exception
speechcomputing, Martin has been banned from the other 3 major
speech recognition forums and played a major role in the premature
closing of the ScanSoft/Nuance forum.

I additionally take offense at you throwing me into the so-called
"feud". I'm sure you've read a number of those threads and you
should know that although I have occasionally vigorously defended
myself, I have never initiated an attack. It may seem like Martin
only has trouble with our company but he has had lots of dog
fights with various vendors. We don't know what his problem is but
we do know he's a predatory vendor and he joined this forum more
than 20 times, under different aliases, after he was banned and
told not to come back. Martin used at least one of his aliases to
spam numerous members on this forum pretending that he was a
satisfied emicrophones customer and recommended that everyone shop
at emicrophones. We saved a number of those e-mails in case we
need to prove our charge. Instead of penalizing the
speechcomputing membership, perhaps you should consider how the
other forums handled this problem.

> Mr. Anderson

John Doe

Jan 9, 2014, 7:57:15 PM1/9/14
http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/textthread.cfm?catid=3
&threadid=8990

Martin was recently simultaneously banned 2 times from both the
VoiceRecognition and EMRconsultant forums where he is currently on
probation. Martin's most recent forum attack was only a couple of
days ago at SR_for_translators. The moderator removed his posting
today and put Martin on something referred to as �moderated� postings
which means that the forum moderator now has to clear his postings.
Even the speechcomputing forum has had to remove 3 of Marty's
postings last week for personal attacks and Marty pays to advertise
on that forum. The speechcomputing forum moderator must feel like he
is between a rock and a hard place because Martin pays for pay per
click advertising while abusing the forum.

John Doe

Jan 9, 2014, 7:59:16 PM1/9/14
From the same page�

We can't recommend purchasing from emicrophones a.k.a. Martin Markoe
under any circumstances. The owner of that website is fairly
knowledgeable but his ethics are another matter entirely. He was
banned from this forum 21 times for personal attacks and kept
returning under aliases and spamming the membership by pretending to
be a satisfied emicrophones customer rather than admitting that he
was the owner of emicrophones and recommending that the forum
membership purchase from his store. Quite frankly, we were shocked
when several of the members forwarded suspicious e-mails to us
recommending emicrophones from within this site. However, upon closer
examination, we found at least 21 of Martin's aliases, before we lost
count, which forced our webmaster to increase security.

John Doe

Jan 9, 2014, 8:15:06 PM1/9/14
This is written by the guy that modified Natlink so that it works
with DNS 12, enabling Vocola 2 and Dragonfly...

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=8990&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Markoe

I think the question was not the way that Martin Markoe treats his
customers, but how he deals with other vendors and whether or not
he respects the rules of conduct in public forums. I'm not taking
sides with Lunis here, and we know that this is something very
personal between him and Marty, but I think that being banned on
so many forums and so often speaks for itself. Besides, if you
want to beware of his attacking postings, you've got to be very
quick, because, as Lunis pointed out, I think about half of his
postings tend to get taken down, which I think is another record
in itself.

One of the reasons why I like this forum so much, by the way, is
its peacefulness, because, aside from some wanna-be flaming
individuals coming in every now and then, who usually disappear
again just as fast due to lack of response, and because this is
just not the place to conduct like that, we haven't seen much of
personal attackings since some years ago, but this might have been
different back then, and I could be wrong, but I think Marty was
in it most of the times.

Mr. Anderson

Jan 10, 2014, 12:23:27 PM1/10/14
All very entertaining stuff. Of course, I didn't intend for you to
become offended. I'm inclined to agree with your side of the story.

All of these characters involved in speech recognition are
entertaining to me, including myself at times when I allow myself to
get worked up.

Chuck has been generous at times with his knowledge, having been, as I
recall, the guy in charge of the SDK at Dragon Systems. Still, I enjoy
watching his ego flare up from time to time, feeling the need to make
excuses for things he didn't know. The only real problem I have with
him is that he has rarely shared a single line of code (that I'm aware
of), yet has all this intimate knowledge of the product. It's dumb
that Nuance and its predecessors are so secretive about the ActiveX
controls and the SDK. I say get over it and give people knowledge
about how to program Dragon, but my opinion means nothing.

Another fun character in this play is Lunis Orcutt. He was so hated
many years ago that it surprised me when he managed to get a major
forum (or "phorum", as he used to call it) up and going. Good for him,
even if he does play games and create aliases sometimes. Apparently,
the latest scandal with him is his patent and subsequent attempts to
enforce it. He says he has spent a lot of money on it, but in my mind
it's just another thing that stifles the speech coding community,
especially since he doesn't really want that kind of thing discussed
on his forum in a way that might, in his mind, interfere with sales of
his macro package.

It's all entertainment to me, including my own silly ego. I like you
pretty well, John Doe, and hopefully there will come a day when I'll
get back to the macro recorder project.

Mr. Anderson

John Doe

Jan 10, 2014, 12:37:46 PM1/10/14
Mr. Anderson <matrixlove yahoo.com> wrote:

> All very entertaining stuff. Of course, I didn't intend for you
> to become offended. I'm inclined to agree with your side of the
> story.
>
> All of these characters involved in speech recognition are
> entertaining to me, including myself at times when I allow
> myself to get worked up.

I'm naturally worked up. But I can control myself in moderated
forums. I can play by the rules. UseNet is unmoderated, and I act
accordingly... Just depends on the forum and the circumstance.

Marty being moderator is a joke IMO. But the solution is simply to
stay away from Speech Computing for a while.

I guess KnowBrainer is the only common user (not a professional
user) oriented forum I haven't been posting to, so I will try
that. Seems they aren't very active with Dragonfly and Vocola, but
will see. As long as conversation about Vocola and Dragonfly is
not banned there.

Mr. Anderson

Jan 10, 2014, 2:32:22 PM1/10/14
>I guess KnowBrainer is the only common user (not a professional
>user) oriented forum I haven't been posting to, so I will try
>that. Seems they aren't very active with Dragonfly and Vocola, but
>will see. As long as conversation about Vocola and Dragonfly is
>not banned there.
I suspect Lunis would see rampant discussions of Vocola and Dragonfly
as a conflict of interest for his macro package, but he did talk in
the past about having a place to discuss coding there. In fact, there
may already be a place set up there. I don't know because I can rarely
get a response there other than that the average user isn't interested
in such things.

Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

Jan 10, 2014, 8:20:15 PM1/10/14
To continue on with this...
The link you gave me reminded me how speechcomputing does not allow
talking about KnowBrainer. They replace that name with "that which
shall not be named" or some such blather. To me, that's a really petty
way to deal with a problem, but whatever. Thus, it doesn't surprise me
that Markoe would be allowed as a moderator there.

Quintijn seems to be a capable individual, being that he is updating
NatLink with the help of Rudiger and whoever else, and being that he
created UniMacro. However, I found him to be very unhospitable to me
as a new user. I thought it was rather petty of him to come on so
strongly toward me about changing the subject in the thread, even
sending me a personal email about it, when in reality that entire part
of the forum just sits there for months with almost no action. I don't
mind being redirected, but it would be nice to have it done in a
kindlier fashion. Nevertheless, I have no ill will toward him, and he
did respond to me on VoiceCoder.

It seems UniMacro is used less than the other frameworks, but I'm sure
it certainly has its value and strengths, and I may try it sometime if
Nuance doesn't totally neuter NatLink, as some folks seem to think
they're going to do.

Another thing I just thought of about Lunis...he used to use the royal
"We" a lot, never using the word "I". Quite a character he is, being a
dude out in Tennessee who decided to master voice software and sit on
his throne commanding his computer to do his bidding, and then
branching out and making it a full-time business for himself.

Mr. Anderson