Command Sequences

gregor...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2013, 2:05:37 AM12/14/13
Hey, John Xanadu Doe, I'd like to ask something before I crash out.

Do Vocola 2 Command Sequences work for you? I've tried but it ain't
working for me.

Does the vocola.ini file go where your commands are? That's where I
put it. Maybe it's supposed to go in the
C:\NatLink\NatLink\MacroSystem folder? I would think so, though.

In mine I just have this:
MaximumCommands=3;

I have these two commands in my excel.vcl file:
Find Text <_anything> = {Ctrl+f} $1 {Enter};
Tab Cap <_anything> = {Tab} Eval($1 ".capitalize()");

Then in Excel I dictate "Cap product". This puts "Product" in cell A1
with it still in edit mode.

Then I dictate "Tab Cap price Tab Cap quantity". This should
theoretically execute that second command I pasted above twice, but it
doesn't work.

I read some old posts you participated in where it wasn't working in
Vocola a few years back, but I was under the impression it now works
again.

John Doe

Dec 14, 2013, 4:24:52 PM12/14/13
gregorys12003 yahoo.com wrote:

> Hey, John Xanadu Doe,

I'm the only one here.

I told you how to remove your email address, in the other forum.

> Do Vocola 2 Command Sequences work for you? I've tried but it ain't
> working for me.

Yes, but it might just depend on what you're doing.

> Does the vocola.ini file go where your commands are?

Yes.

My entire file looks like this...

"MaximumCommands=3"

...with one carriage return. There is no semicolon.

Three is the maximum that I can use here. There is a rule to it, you
just have to figure out what the rule is. I think you cannot mix
dictation and commands. But you should be able to string up to three
commands together.

Mr. G

Dec 14, 2013, 4:45:19 PM12/14/13
>...with one carriage return. There is no semicolon.
I'll bet that's my problem.

>Three is the maximum that I can use here.
So if you put "MaximumCommands=4" yours won't work?

Thanks.
GS

Mr. G

Dec 14, 2013, 5:00:13 PM12/14/13
>Three is the maximum that I can use here.
Forget my question attempting to clarify that you indeed cannot set
MaximumCommand=4. I've verified for myself that indeed it won't work.

The good news is that getting rid of the semicolon and (the real key)
putting in a new line did the trick. The command I described along
with how I use it in the earlier message works fine now. That allows
entering four capitalized headings into Excel (if you count the first
utterance which is "Cap" plus whatever word you want.

Cool!

Mr. G

Dec 14, 2013, 5:15:15 PM12/14/13
>Three is the maximum that I can use here. There is a rule to it, you
>just have to figure out what the rule is. I think you cannot mix
>dictation and commands. But you should be able to string up to three
>commands together.

Hopefully I'm not talking more than you're interested in hearing.
A couple other thoughts:
You talk about not mixing dictation and commands. Yes, the thing about
a command sequence is that it's stringing commands together, but you
can see in my commands that by using <_anything> I'm able to mix
dictation into my commands.

This leads me to think that actually, if you start and/or end a
command with <_anything>, then you could put any amount of pure
dictation before it and/or any amount of pure dictation after it. And
within that possibly long utterance you could have the command appear
up to three times. Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, the Vocola documentation seems to indicate that this limitation
of 3 is due to bugs in DNS, and thus it would make me think that
Dragonfly would do no better in that respect. I may eventually try
doing more than 3 in Dragonfly, though, just to see if there's a
difference.

John Doe

Dec 14, 2013, 6:27:23 PM12/14/13
Mr. G <gregorys12003 yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also, the Vocola documentation seems to indicate that this
> limitation of 3 is due to bugs in DNS, and thus it would make me
> think that Dragonfly would do no better in that respect. I may
> eventually try doing more than 3 in Dragonfly, though, just to
> see if there's a difference.

Good question.

But I rarely (if ever) want to use more than three in Windows.

John Doe

Dec 15, 2013, 4:18:12 AM12/15/13
There is something weird about it. I just tried "name switch". Both
are commands, but it didn't work. One of those is program specific,
the other is global. I think that is the problem. Apparently they
must be either all the active window, or all global. That's another
something you can check for if you test in Dragonfly.