2 easy questions...

1 view

John L

Mar 23, 2005, 2:54:50 PM3/23/05
It's been several years since I fooled around with VB5, but I've got the
programming bug again...

I'd like to place a flashing light or button in one of my database programs
that if a particular checkbox is positive in the records the icon or picture
will blink to alert the user. Without the checkbox being marked nothing
flashes. Is that possible with VB5?

2nd question - there used to be a VB archive where you could go, input a
subject and the archive would bring up various posts from the newsgroups
dealing with that subject --- was great as it saved a lot of time in finding
answers to questions without having to repost questions and waste everyone's
time. Anyone know where it went? A url would be great...

Thanks for any assist...

neila...@msn.com

Mar 23, 2005, 3:36:43 PM3/23/05
I will defer to the blinky thingy experts on Q1.
I can't parse this into a meaningful question ;-)

"if a particular checkbox is positive in the records the icon or
picture will blink to alert the user."
Q2: Google Larry Linson

Frank Adam

Mar 23, 2005, 3:42:11 PM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:54:50 -0600, "John L"
<john_stlmo<removethis>@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It's been several years since I fooled around with VB5, but I've got the
>programming bug again...
>
>I'd like to place a flashing light or button in one of my database programs
>that if a particular checkbox is positive in the records the icon or picture
>will blink to alert the user. Without the checkbox being marked nothing
>flashes. Is that possible with VB5?

It can be done, but i'm not sure if VB5 had graphical styles for the
buttons yet ? If so, you can just toggle the button's icon on and off
from a timer. If not, then using a small ImageBox into which you'd
place the icon and toggle it's visible state.

>2nd question - there used to be a VB archive where you could go, input a
>subject and the archive would bring up various posts from the newsgroups
>dealing with that subject --- was great as it saved a lot of time in finding
>answers to questions without having to repost questions and waste everyone's
>time. Anyone know where it went? A url would be great...

http://groups-beta.google.com/

There are also some very good sites devoted to VB if you search the
net, such as mvps.org in particular mvps.org/vbnet (don't let the
"net" bit fool you, it's VB classic, Randy didn't know about .Net when
he named it.. Mind you he has a constant headache nowdays from bashing
his head on the desk.<g>)

--

Regards, Frank

Frank Adam

Mar 23, 2005, 3:48:55 PM3/23/05
On 23 Mar 2005 12:36:43 -0800, neila...@msn.com wrote:

>Q2: Google Larry Linson

Does Google go *that* far back ? ;-)

<wondering if Larry and Joe Nukem eloped to an island with no nets>

--

Regards, Frank

neila...@msn.com

Mar 23, 2005, 5:42:09 PM3/23/05
<wondering if Larry and Joe Nukem eloped to an island with no nets>
If so I suspect Larry's wife would have gone postal!
Neila

Randy Birch

Mar 23, 2005, 10:57:19 PM3/23/05
Q1: Sure ... if the check is set, turn on a timer using the checkbox click
event. In the timer event, simply toggle the colour of, say, the foreground
of a label. When checking the next record, turn off the timer.

--

Randy Birch
MS MVP Visual Basic

"John L @yahoo.com>" <john_stlmo<removethis> wrote in message
: It's been several years since I fooled around with VB5, but I've got the

:
:
:

Hal Rosser

Mar 29, 2005, 4:39:48 PM3/29/05

> It's been several years since I fooled around with VB5, but I've got the
> programming bug again...
>
> I'd like to place a flashing light or button in one of my database
programs
> that if a particular checkbox is positive in the records the icon or
picture
> will blink to alert the user. Without the checkbox being marked nothing
> flashes. Is that possible with VB5?

I'm not sure, but I think 5.0 had the timer control.
If so, you can use it to turn on and off the visible property of your light.