VB6 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

scbs29

May 25, 2021, 12:56:00 PM5/25/21
Hello all
Has anyone any experience of installing VB6 onto Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ?
I have done some research on the web and find that
a. It will install with no problems
b. It will not install at all
c. It will install but only a custom install, no Data Acces or ActiveX components.
d. The usual msjava.dll problem, easily solved
e. Install and run as Administrator
f. Not necessary to use Administrator mode.

I have also come across mention of a tool vb6installler from nuke.vbcorner.net which by all account allows vb6
installation. Has anyone tried it ?

I have writen a number of programs to help with my wifes crafting projects. All written with VB6 using ADO to get data
from an Access 2003 database.

I was considering changing data detqils to an INI file, but there are quite a few programs, and they work fine under
Access and ADO.

Can anyone advise ?
TIA

--
remove fred before emailing

John K.Eason

May 25, 2021, 2:20:12 PM5/25/21
In article <nfaqagpm6q1lvcrbg...@4ax.com>, scb...@fred.talktalk.net
(scbs29) wrote:

> *From:* scbs29 <scb...@fred.talktalk.net>
> *Date:* Tue, 25 May 2021 17:55:57 +0100
I've been using it without problems here under W10 Pro 64-bit since I built this
machine at the end of 2019. Can't remember what I had to do to install it, but
apart from creating a zero-length msjava.dll file I don't think I had to do
anything else to get it to install or update to SP6.
I'm still using DAO and Jet to create and access database files but ADO works fine
too with them. - Never worked out how to access later Access databases.
I do run it as Administrator from a desktop shortcut, but am not sure if that's
really necessary, but I don't use it that much nowadays so haven't really bothered
to investigate.

--
Regards
John

nobody

May 26, 2021, 1:57:08 AM5/26/21
I recently installed VB6 on a new PC with no problems at all apart from
the known "Data access" caveat.

If you are using the original CD's, when you get to the part that lets
you choose what features you want installed make sure you DO NOT check
the "Data access components", or the installation will hang.

(You do not need these installed as they are now a part on Windows anyway)

scbs29

May 26, 2021, 12:20:31 PM5/26/21
Thanks for the advice.
VB6 now installed and running fine.

Wendelin Uez

May 26, 2021, 1:18:42 PM5/26/21
> remove fred before emailing

who is fred?

John K.Eason

May 26, 2021, 2:25:01 PM5/26/21
In article <s8lvtg$i1k$3...@dont-email.me>, wu...@online.de (Wendelin Uez) wrote:

> *From:* "Wendelin Uez" <wu...@online.de>
> *Date:* Wed, 26 May 2021 18:47:22 +0200
>
> > remove fred before emailing
>
> who is fred?

He's in your head! :^)
--
Regards
John

Firewall

May 27, 2021, 5:37:30 AM5/27/21
I still have problems installing VB6 in Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
tried so many guides from internet without succeeded.

Now I'm trying to fix my old Win 7 laptop.

Any help/suggestions appreciate.

Regards,

Wolfgang Εnzinger

Jul 10, 2021, 12:37:17 PM7/10/21
see if this helps:

Visual Studio 6.0 Installer wizard v.6.2
http://nuke.vbcorner.net/

--
get it while you can