Ancient find

pinnerite

Mar 10, 2021, 3:11:10 PM3/10/21
While filtering an old file to decide whether to keep or scrap, I came across three pages of green music-ruled printout with a BASIC program written by me in 1983.

I decided that it would come in useful. Eventually I want to convert it to C or C++ but I want to test it in an MBASIC or MSBASIC compatible interpreter first.

I have installed :

Vintage Basic - I cannot find out how to load the source in.
Gambas3 - I have 29 instal errors that will not shift.

Any advice would be welcome.

TIA

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Wendelin Uez

Mar 11, 2021, 1:40:12 PM3/11/21
What kind of Microsoft Basic is the code, QBASIC, MBASIC or BASCOM? Or did
you use any other non-Microsoft BASIC interpreter/compiler?

I would prefer to run the code with its original interpreter. Some
interpreter have still been able to run under WIN7 and lower, and WIN7 could
be run in a virtual machine.

There are also virtual machines available for CP/M and MS DOS where you can
run original QBASIC f.e. directly, but there are problems booting them from
floppy disk even on machines with built-in FDD. As I heard some had no
problems to boot from USB floppy.

wuez

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Apr 27, 2021, 6:00:36 PM4/27/21
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 20:11:09 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

> While filtering an old file to decide whether to keep or scrap, I came
> across three pages of green music-ruled printout with a BASIC program
> written by me in 1983.
>
> I decided that it would come in useful. Eventually I want to convert it
> to C or C++ but I want to test it in an MBASIC or MSBASIC compatible
> interpreter first.
>
> Any advice would be welcome.

If it's more like GW-BASIC, you may try PC-BASIC, an interpreter,
including the screen editor, implemented in Python:

http://robhagemans.github.io/pcbasic/index.html

For QBasic/QuickBasic like code, I would give the FreeBASIC compiler a
shot:

https://freebasic.net/

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch