Is there a 64 bit version von gawk for windows?

Jan-Torsten Hobohm at

Jul 11, 2007, 11:12:19 AM7/11/07

searched a lot, but can not find anything in this direction. I need a
64 bit version of gawk running under WinPE 2.0.

Thanks,
JT.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm
jt.hobohm(at)gmx.net

Jürgen Kahrs

Jul 11, 2007, 11:43:04 AM7/11/07
Jan-Torsten Hobohm wrote:

> searched a lot, but can not find anything in this direction. I need a
> 64 bit version of gawk running under WinPE 2.0.

What do you need it for ? Just for compatibility
to a 64 bit OS ?

Kenny McCormack

Jul 11, 2007, 12:03:56 PM7/11/07
In article <5fkc48F...@mid.individual.net>,

I think the core problem here, based on comments I've seen on other
fora, is that WinPE (note well the "PE") does *not* support WOW6432 (or
whatever the heck they call it) - i.e., the module that allows 32 bit
programs to be run on a 64 bit platform.

Translated: This means that to run on PE64, you have to have a native 64
bit executable.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm

Jul 11, 2007, 12:53:28 PM7/11/07

>Translated: This means that to run on PE64, you have to have a native 64
>bit executable.

That is exactly the point, no WOW stack.

JT.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm
jt.hobohm(at)gmx.net

Jürgen Kahrs

Jul 11, 2007, 1:33:02 PM7/11/07
Jan-Torsten Hobohm wrote:
>> Translated: This means that to run on PE64, you have to have a native 64
>> bit executable.
>
> That is exactly the point, no WOW stack.

OK, so the way to go seems to be to install
Cygwin on a 64 bit Windows like it is described
here:

http://cygwin.com/

The current gawk is part of the standard installation.
As far as I know, Cygwin supports 64 bit Windows.
So, your problem should be solved by simply following
instructions on the page above and execute setup.exe.

http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

Good luck. Please report what you found out.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm

Jul 11, 2007, 1:54:59 PM7/11/07
2. What versions of Windows are supported?

Cygwin can be expected to run on all modern 32 bit versions of
Windows, except Windows CE. This includes Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 and the WOW64 32 bit environment on released
64 bit versions of Windows. As far as we know no one is working on a
native 64 bit version of Cygwin

I扉e already read that article before and just verifying. Building a
64bit PXE boot image at the moment for testing.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm

Jul 11, 2007, 3:15:40 PM7/11/07
Unfortunately I think, there is no way without a real 64bit gawk
version.

MS Technet says: Windows PE does not include the “Windows on Windows
32” (WOW32), “Windows on Windows 64” (WOW64), Virtual DOS Machine
(VDM), OS/2 or POSIX subsystems.

If I (have to) use x64 PE 2.0, only 64bit applications will start.

JT.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm
jt.hobohm(at)gmx.net

Jürgen Kahrs

Jul 11, 2007, 3:17:53 PM7/11/07
Jan-Torsten Hobohm wrote:

> Unfortunately I think, there is no way without a real 64bit gawk
> version.

Do you know any build environment for 64 bit apps ?
Some Cygwin or MinGW variant ?

Jan-Torsten Hobohm

Jul 12, 2007, 12:21:34 PM7/12/07
No, I have no idea of that.

I´m just using AWK and writing script for e.g os installations...

Now I have to switch to VBS which is not the ideal language for
manipulating ASCII files :(

JT.

Jan-Torsten Hobohm
jt.hobohm(at)gmx.net

Vassilis

Jul 12, 2007, 12:43:32 PM7/12/07

Ο συντάκτης Jan-Torsten Hobohm έγραψε:

Please don't top post - fixed below

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:17:53 +0200, J rgen Kahrs <Juergen.Kah...@vr-web.de> wrote:
>
> >Jan-Torsten Hobohm wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately I think, there is no way without a real 64bit gawk
> >> version.
> >
> >Do you know any build environment for 64 bit apps ?
> >Some Cygwin or MinGW variant ?
> Jan-Torsten Hobohm
> jt.hobohm(at)gmx.net

> No, I have no idea of that.

> I΄m just using AWK and writing script for e.g os installations...
>
> Now I have to switch to VBS which is not the ideal language for
> manipulating ASCII files :(
>
> JT.

Instead of vbs, you could use powershell, supposed to by for windows
scripting (yeah, right).
If you've already got (microsoft's) 64bit compiler, why don't you try
compiling gawk, or even easier nawk yourself?

Vassilis