Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

rem

no leída,
4 abr 2005, 13:27:424/4/05
Hello! as i can write an assembly procedure that turns off my pc
(real-mode).
Compaq 5bw120 presario.(Compaq bios, believe).

thank you, hi (from Italy).

Bill Marcum

no leída,
4 abr 2005, 23:18:284/4/05
Look at fdapm, part of FreeDOS.
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/fdapm-04feb2005.zip
http://www.freedos.org

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file

Tim Roberts

no leída,
8 abr 2005, 3:11:328/4/05
Bill Marcum wrote:

>--
>"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
>need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file
>back again?"

Oddly enough, the sentiment in this quote goes back to the very, very
beginning of automated computation. Charles Babbage said this after
presenting his analytical engine to parliament:

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you
put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion
of ideas that could provoke such a question.

- Charles Babbage
--
- Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Robert Redelmeier

no leída,
8 abr 2005, 10:36:198/4/05
Tim Roberts <spam...@crayne.org> wrote:

> Bill Marcum wrote:
>>"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just
>>realized that I need it. If I turn my system clock back
>>two weeks will I have my file back again?"

Why not? if your OS has file-versioning, or a
"System Restore" has sufficient intelligence.

> Oddly enough, the sentiment in this quote goes back to the very,
> very beginning of automated computation. Charles Babbage said
> this after presenting his analytical engine to parliament:
> On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage,
> if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
> answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the
> kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
> - Charles Babbage

For 30 years my main use of computers has been to put in wrong
figures (initial estimates, often quite wrong) and have the
computer deliver the right answers (a converged solution).

Charles might be forgiven for not foreseeing all uses.

-- Robert

Alex McDonald

no leída,
8 abr 2005, 11:58:438/4/05
Robert Redelmeier wrote:

> For 30 years my main use of computers has been to put in wrong
> figures (initial estimates, often quite wrong) and have the
> computer deliver the right answers (a converged solution).

Then you obviously weren't responsible for estimating the Scottish
Parliament building costs. They put in wrong figures and had the
computer deliver the politically acceptable right answer. The true
costs diverged to the preposterous.

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

Octavio

no leída,
8 abr 2005, 15:35:588/4/05
"rem" <spam...@crayne.org> wrote in message news:<VGc4e.734198$b5.33...@news3.tin.it>...

> Hello! as i can write an assembly procedure that turns off my pc
> (real-mode).
Below is the source of a program that power off the computer.

LANG OCTASM,0.1
\OCTASM.SYM
{
ax=5300h bx=0 int 15h jc fin
test cx,1 jz fin
push ax ax=5301h bx=0 int 15h
pop cx jnc >1
cmp ah,2 jne fin
# ax=530eh bx=0 int 15h
ax=5307h bx=1 cx=3 int 15h jc fin
ret
#fin
prn("%nb %13 function not supported")
ret
}

Robert Redelmeier

no leída,
8 abr 2005, 19:25:588/4/05
Alex McDonald <spam...@crayne.org> wrote:
> Then you obviously weren't responsible for estimating the
> Scottish Parliament building costs.

Thank you for the exculpation.

> They put in wrong figures and had the computer deliver the
> politically acceptable right answer. The true costs diverged
> to the preposterous.

"Figures don't lie, but liars figure" -- Mark Twain

Anyone who trusts any tool blindly without cross-checking is
either a fool or a scoundrel.

I like to think that few fools have the ability to learn
asm, and few scoundrels have the patience.

-- Robert

Tim Roberts

no leída,
9 abr 2005, 23:55:249/4/05
Alex McDonald wrote:

>Then you obviously weren't responsible for estimating the Scottish
>Parliament building costs. They put in wrong figures and had the
>computer deliver the politically acceptable right answer. The true
>costs diverged to the preposterous.

A great story, that. Something like a 20-to-1 difference between the
estimated and final cost. I took two business trips to Edinburgh last
year. I learned early on that I could always make a conversation with the
locals more lively by bringing up the new Parliament building.

One told me: "The old building was made out of stones. The new building is
made out of pounds."

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar