Location of volume serial number on UDF V2.50 formatted DVD(-RAM)

Robert Prins

Jul 8, 2022, 8:44:33 AM7/8/22
Hi all,

It's (obviously) shown by a "VOL" command, but does anyone here know where to
actually find it on the disk? And its format? Four bytes? Four words? Four
longints? Trying to use a hex editor (HxD) to find it, but no luck.

Thanks,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 8, 2022, 4:56:50 PM7/8/22
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:45:05 +0000
Robert Prins <rob...@nospicedham.prino.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's (obviously) shown by a "VOL" command, but does anyone here know where to
> actually find it on the disk? And its format? Four bytes? Four words? Four
> longints? Trying to use a hex editor (HxD) to find it, but no luck.

It's a (usually Hidden & System & R/O) directory entry, IIRC, with Volume label attribute bit set.

http://helppc.netcore2k.net/table/directory-format

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 8, 2022, 4:56:51 PM7/8/22
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:45:05 +0000
Robert Prins <rob...@nospicedham.prino.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's (obviously) shown by a "VOL" command, but does anyone here know where to
> actually find it on the disk? And its format? Four bytes? Four words? Four
> longints? Trying to use a hex editor (HxD) to find it, but no luck.

Sorry, I didn't read your request properly. please ignore previous mansplaining post.

Or better still, Frank, don't approve it (and this) for posting.

Frank Kotler

Jul 8, 2022, 5:56:27 PM7/8/22
On 07/08/2022 04:51 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

,,,
> Or better still, Frank, don't approve it (and this) for posting.

Possible issue with posting?

If you are having trouble please retry.

I can be reached at:
fbko...@myfairpoint.net

Hang in there!

Best,
Frank

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 9, 2022, 6:15:34 AM7/9/22
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:53:53 -0400
Frank Kotler <fbko...@nospicedham.myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 07/08/2022 04:51 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>
> ,,,
> > Or better still, Frank, don't approve it (and this) for posting.
> >

> Possible issue with posting?

No, the problem was me shooting my mouth off without looking at the actual question.
And now it's out there for all to see! Ah well, cestlavvy, as they say, erm somewhere abroad.

> If you are having trouble please retry.
>
> I can be reached at:
> fbko...@myfairpoint.net
>
> Hang in there!

Frank Kotler

Jul 9, 2022, 7:30:50 AM7/9/22
On 07/09/2022 06:13 AM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:53:53 -0400
> Frank Kotler <fbko...@nospicedham.myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2022 04:51 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>>
>> ,,,
>>> Or better still, Frank, don't approve it (and this) for posting.
>>>

>> Possible issue with posting?
>
> No, the problem was me shooting my mouth off without looking at the actual question.
> And now it's out there for all to see! Ah well, cestlavvy, as they say, erm somewhere abroad.

French. C'est la vie. That's life.

I replied - tried to - saying that you guys aew on thw "auto-approve"
list and I don't have a chance to not approve your posts. I also
suggested that Ralf Brown's Interrupt List might have an answer to
Robert's question. Haven't looked to see if that's true. That post did
not appear. I think I botched sending it.

There was one issue that Eternal-September, who I post messages with an
"approved" header with, had changed their IP. My little moderation
helper program has no DNS capability. I resort to doing "ping
example.com" and hard coding the IP into my program. It is in assemb;y
language, so it is on topic. Maybe we can discuss DNS someday... This
delayed Robert's post slightly, but I got it "fixed".
..

Now. Eternal-September is claiming "duplicate post not sent" on
everything, but is posting stuff first(?). I think. I don't know why.
Might be me, might be them. Work in progress.

>> If you are having trouble please retry.
>>
>> I can be reached at:
>> fbko...@myfairpoint.net
>>
>> Hang in there!

We still haven't found that volume label...

Best,
Frank

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 9, 2022, 12:51:38 PM7/9/22
On Sat, 9 Jul 2022 07:21:19 -0400
Frank Kotler <fbko...@nospicedham.myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 07/09/2022 06:13 AM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:53:53 -0400
> > Frank Kotler <fbko...@nospicedham.myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On 07/08/2022 04:51 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> >>
> >> ,,,
> >>>

> >> Possible issue with posting?
> >
> > No, the problem was me shooting my mouth off without looking at the actual question.
> > And now it's out there for all to see! Ah well, cestlavvy, as they say, erm somewhere abroad.
> >

> French. C'est la vie. That's life.

Yes. But I should have posted "sestlavvy", as a rough transliteration.

> I replied - tried to - saying that you guys aew on thw "auto-approve"
> list and I don't have a chance to not approve your posts. I also

Ah that explains it.

> suggested that Ralf Brown's Interrupt List might have an answer to
> Robert's question. Haven't looked to see if that's true. That post did
> not appear. I think I botched sending it.
>
> There was one issue that Eternal-September, who I post messages with an
> "approved" header with, had changed their IP. My little moderation
> helper program has no DNS capability. I resort to doing "ping
> example.com" and hard coding the IP into my program. It is in assemb;y
> language, so it is on topic. Maybe we can discuss DNS someday... This
> delayed Robert's post slightly, but I got it "fixed".
> ..
>
> Now. Eternal-September is claiming "duplicate post not sent" on
> everything, but is posting stuff first(?). I think. I don't know why.
> Might be me, might be them. Work in progress.
>

> >> If you are having trouble please retry.
> >>
> >> I can be reached at:
> >> fbko...@myfairpoint.net
> >>
> >> Hang in there!
> >>

> We still haven't found that volume label...

Mr google gave me:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43707425/get-the-serial-number-of-the-volume-udf-cd-dvd-disk

which implies it isn't stored anywhere; it's a checksum.

Looks tricky.