R.I.P. Roger Hui

Kerry Liles

Oct 20, 2021, 1:21:26 PM10/20/21
Sad news that Roger Hui has passed away on October 18, 2021.
All I have so far is a reference to this at Dyalog:

https://www.dyalog.com/news/148/420/Roger-Hui.htm

I never met Roger Hui even though I worked at I.P.Sharp many
years ago (around 1972-1976) but Roger was an admirable force
in the world of APL and of course J.
Condolences.

Kerry Liles

Oct 20, 2021, 1:22:26 PM10/20/21
Apologies ... October 16th 2021

DanNospamSay

Oct 25, 2021, 7:42:19 PM10/25/21
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 10:21:26 AM UTC-7, Kerry Liles wrote:
> Sad news that Roger Hui has passed away on October 18, 2021.
> All I have so far is a reference to this at Dyalog:
>
> https://www.dyalog.com/news/148/420/Roger-Hui.htm

===============
Then see the longish Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hui

DanNospamSay

Oct 25, 2021, 7:43:16 PM10/25/21
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 10:21:26 AM UTC-7, Kerry Liles wrote:
Then go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hui

DanNospamSay

Oct 25, 2021, 7:55:17 PM10/25/21
and

[ Jprogramming ] Roger Hui - 1953 - 2021
Eric Iverson eric.b.iverson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 16:14:33 UTC 2021
https://www.joyk.com/dig/detail/1634518612863856

and many writings in
https://aplwiki.com/index.php?title=Roger_Hui&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

and
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28898045
..... his Erdős number is 2, thanks to his coauthoring "A generalization of the fast...

90 minutes with Roger Hui
A Tour de Force of APL in 16 Expressions by Roger Hui
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rywC7-i0U

http://jsoftware.com/pipermail/programming/2021-October/059091.html

.... and much more.....

iamj...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2021, 7:09:53 PM11/22/21
I was born in the same city as Roger. However, not many people there know APL, J and Mr. Roger Hui. When I talk to my fellows about APL (with/without a demonstration) they simply think I am out of my mind. But I will continue to tell people about the languages.

Rest in peace, Roger. Thank you for your work on APL and J language. Hopefully when we meet in our after life, we can have some fun of J together.