Where to get SAX (Sharp APL) interpreter for Linux ?

pahihu

Nov 26, 2019, 3:01:44 PM11/26/19

I would like to play with SAX for Linux, but I know that Soliton no longer distributes
the Linux version for personal use.

Does anyone can point me to a site, where I can download the distribution ?

Thanks,
pahihu

J. Clarke

Nov 26, 2019, 4:04:57 PM11/26/19
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 12:01:42 -0800 (PST), pahihu <pah...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Soliton as a company was dissolved in 2015
<https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=3214532>

Perhaps someone else has more information but I am not aware of their
intellectual property being transferred to any other business or
person.

pahihu

Nov 26, 2019, 4:30:55 PM11/26/19
Thanks, I am aware of this.
I know that the personal use license could restrict the redistribution - I don't know the details.
Could someone share the personal use version ?

pahihu
Message has been deleted

Ford Clancy

May 28, 2020, 12:51:29 PM5/28/20
I have the personal use version - I have no idea what restrictions there are since Soliton has been shut down for some time, so I'm willing to step out on the limb and provide it. Also, I haven't had it running for several years, so I can't give any advice on setting it up. In fact, I'd appreciate (quid pro quo) a script to implement in whatever the chosen host may be, for providing the copy, so I can set it up without having to go through the nitty-gritty.

The folder includes intallation instruction, documentation and the 621b files, raw and extracted.

Kerry Liles

May 28, 2020, 8:49:29 PM5/28/20
I *thought* I had a copy of the personal version but I cannot find it...
I would be interested in a shared copy of it as well... :)

Barry Bogart

May 29, 2020, 11:42:16 PM5/29/20
Well, there is always Dyalog for the Raspberry Pi. I don't know if you can run Rasbian on a real PC, though.

David H. Durgee

May 30, 2020, 9:27:25 AM5/30/20
Raspbian is debian with some Raspberry Pi specifics added. Debian is
available for many platforms as are other distros. I have Dyalog here
on mint for non-commercial use.

Dave

J. Clarke

May 30, 2020, 10:08:59 AM5/30/20
Dyalog is free for everybody for personal use. You have to ask
though.

By the way, a Pi4 has plenty of capability.

jib...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 7:32:26 PM12/6/20
I remember reviewing SAX long before Solitron was dissolved. It's my recollection that IP Sharp's APL was a "descendent" of APL\360. The documentation of SHARP APL states: "It's a collection of programs centered around an APL interpreter. The interpreter itself is the very same SHARP APL interpreter that runs on 370-architecture mainframes; that is, it's written in 370 Assembler, and the object code included here is actually 370 object code. It runs on a PC via a 370 emulator, written by Roger Moore and included in this shareware package."

Was Solitron's SAX a complete, native reimplementation of IP Sharp's APL or does it carries this 370 emulator?

/Jerome

PLJ

Dec 7, 2020, 3:25:48 PM12/7/20
I don't have an answer to the initial question about SAX availability. While I managed the creation of SAX for IPSA, I haven't had access to the product since I closed the Palo Alto office in 1992.

I can answer the question about the nature of the SAX product. SAX began as a joint development effort between STSC and IPSA. We began with STSC's UNIX-based product written primarily in C. It included all of the system functions which had been jointly developed with IPSA for our existing IBM products, including the component file system and quad-FMT. It had STSC'S error and event handling, and their NARS language extensions. The implementation included code and go of machine instructions to provide faster loops for several primitives, much like the common code of our similar mainframe products.

The initial SAX release replaced NARS language extensions with Ken Iverson's ideas, many of which were already available in Sharp APL. It added IPSA's quad-TRAP, and since that allows errors be resumed mid statement, it required a bit of redesign of the STSC approach to storing functions which had been designed to reduce syntax analysis. We also added shared variables, packages and the character left argument for thorn.

In addition to a lot of work on performance improvement, the second release focused on adding network shared variables. I believe that was also when we disconnected the interpreter from the session manager. This allowed the product to be used as a Unix application with input and output directed to files or pipes.

Just about every new machine vendor we encountered had some issues with their Unix which had to be overcome. While several machines had the same instruction set, their assembler language presented different sequences for arguments, especially for floating-point instructions. At the time we were developing SAX, Unix only supported pipes for inter-process communication which was designed around a few characters at a time instead of the large strings which shared variables required. This ment code changes for the shared variable processor, and a special install sequence for something that was part of the Unix kernel.

> On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 4:32:26 PM UTC-8, jib...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember reviewing SAX long before Solitron was dissolved. It's my recollection that IP Sharp's APL was a "descendent" of APL\360. The documentation of SHARP APL states: "It's a collection of programs centered around an APL interpreter. The interpreter itself is the very same SHARP APL interpreter that runs on 370-architecture mainframes; that is, it's written in 370 Assembler, and the object code included here is actually 370 object code. It runs on a PC via a 370 emulator, written by Roger Moore and included in this shareware package."
>
> Was Solitron's SAX a complete, native reimplementation of IP Sharp's APL or does it carries this 370 emulator?
>

> /Jerome

jib...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2020, 4:29:18 PM12/7/20
> I don't have an answer to the initial question about SAX availability. While I managed the creation of SAX for IPSA, I haven't had access to the product since I closed the Palo Alto office in 1992. [...]

Thank you.

For completeness, does anyone knows if IBM's APL (370, 1 & 2) shared the same historical code base between mainframe and "workstations" or PC?

/Jerome

mkr

Dec 7, 2020, 5:21:58 PM12/7/20
look at the conversation in this group "enclose a simple scalar" for info about running sharp apl

mike

Ford Clancy

Dec 9, 2020, 7:07:43 PM12/9/20
Further to the inquiry about the PC version of Sharp APL - see this site: http://www.gemesyscanada.com

They have implemented several APL flavours for Android, including the subject implementation.

This link includes the apks and the native archives for the various implementations: https://github.com/Gemesys/gemesys_repository

Adám Brudzewsky

Apr 27, 2022, 8:56:32 AM4/27/22

Curtis Jones

May 1, 2022, 10:54:54 PM5/1/22
On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 5:56:32 AM UTC-7, a.b...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://github.com/abrudz/sax
Adam,
You must be getting ready for your conversation with Paul Jackson at the APL Campfire/APL BUG meeting this coming Sunday - 8 May 2022 at 18:00 UTC.
https://aplwiki.com/wiki/APL_Campfire
There's more about Paul at
http://www.sigapl.org/ and http://www.sigapl.org/APLBUG.php
Curtis