Ludovic Brenta

Feb 26, 2010, 11:28:48 AM2/26/10
I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
mailing list[1] with web archives[2].

I started out in 2003 as (almost) the sole maintainer of Ada
in Debian but, in the past couple of years, several people have
joined in the effort. It has become necessary to coordinate
work of all these people. Several of these people seconded my
request (in fact, Xavier was the one who nudged me to make the
request in the first place; thanks to him). The list will thus
replace private emails as a means of coordination, making this
much more public.

This list is intended for:
- discussion of the Debian Policy for Ada[3]
- release coordination among Ada packages in Debian
- packaging advice
- general help for Ada programmers using the Debian packages

This list is not moderated; posting is allowed by anyone.
Posting address: debia...@lists.debian.org

Intended audience:
- maintainers of Ada packages in Debian
- people who would like to join in the effort
- programmers using the Ada packages in Debian
- people considering Debian as an Ada development platform

If you wish to subscribe to the mailing list, please visit [1].

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/recent
[3] http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.

Alex R. Mosteo

Feb 28, 2010, 12:03:54 PM2/28/10
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
> mailing list[1] with web archives[2].

I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner. Can I
go ahead and request its addition?

Alex.

http://www.gmane.org/

Ludovic Brenta

Feb 28, 2010, 1:01:30 PM2/28/10
Alex R. Mosteo wrote on comp.lang.ada:

> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
> > mailing list[1] with web archives[2].
>
> I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
> convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner. Can I
> go ahead and request its addition?

Sure. I suppose you are referring to [1]. I don't know about that
procedure, so I'd be interested in details if you have any to share.

[1] http://www.debian.org/support#usenet

--
Ludovic Brenta.

Alex R. Mosteo

Mar 1, 2010, 6:42:48 AM3/1/10
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Alex R. Mosteo wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> > I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
>> > mailing list[1] with web archives[2].
>>
>> I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
>> convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner.
>> Can I go ahead and request its addition?
>
> Sure. I suppose you are referring to [1]. I don't know about that
> procedure, so I'd be interested in details if you have any to share.

Yes, basically the people from gmane subscribes to the list and establishes
a two-way gateway from mail to their nntp server. E-mail addresses are
scrambled to minimize spam.

I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down (as
compared to google news, or using news at all).

It suffices to fill-in a request form in the gmane website and they set it
up. They seem to be down right now, so I can't link to it, though.

Alex.

Peter Hermann

Mar 1, 2010, 10:50:35 AM3/1/10
Alex R. Mosteo <alej...@mosteo.com> wrote:
> I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down

I would prefer to handle debian-ada
either as a newsgroup by means of tin or thunderbird
(or else as mailing list, but how to join?)

Ludovic Brenta

Mar 1, 2010, 11:51:20 AM3/1/10
Peter Hermann wrote on comp.lang.ada:

> Alex R. Mosteo <alejan...@mosteo.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down

I stopped using a newsreader for comp.lang.ada (emacs with gnus,
namely) only when my stupid ISP stopped providing NNTP support.
Unfortunately, all other ISPs where I live did the same. I would
gladly revert to using emacs if given the chance.

> I would prefer to handle  debian-ada
> either as a newsgroup by means of tin or thunderbird
> (or else as mailing list, but how to join?)

It is already a mailing list; please refer to my initial announcement
for a pointer to the subscription page.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

Simon Clubley

Mar 1, 2010, 12:52:30 PM3/1/10
On 2010-03-01, Ludovic Brenta <lud...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Peter Hermann wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Alex R. Mosteo <alejan...@mosteo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down
>
> I stopped using a newsreader for comp.lang.ada (emacs with gnus,
> namely) only when my stupid ISP stopped providing NNTP support.
> Unfortunately, all other ISPs where I live did the same. I would
> gladly revert to using emacs if given the chance.

Have you considered using eternal-september.org ?

I am currently using it with slrn.

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

Ludovic Brenta

Mar 1, 2010, 5:16:12 PM3/1/10
Simon Clubley writes on comp.lang.ada:

> Have you considered using eternal-september.org ?
>
> I am currently using it with slrn.

Hallelujah, you made my day Simon!

I was not aware of this news service. I subscribed and am posting from
emacs now!

Thank you!

--
Ludovic Brenta.

Jeffrey R. Carter

Mar 1, 2010, 12:20:35 PM3/1/10
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I stopped using a newsreader for comp.lang.ada (emacs with gnus,
> namely) only when my stupid ISP stopped providing NNTP support.
> Unfortunately, all other ISPs where I live did the same. I would
> gladly revert to using emacs if given the chance.

I've been using news.tornevall.net for some time, but I don't remember how I
signed up for it. If you contact them via their contact page
(http://tornevall.net/?load=contact) they'll probably assist you; they are happy
to communicate in English.

HTH.

--
Jeff Carter
"Have you gone berserk? Can't you see that that man is a ni?"

Alex R. Mosteo

Mar 2, 2010, 5:28:10 AM3/2/10
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Peter Hermann wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Alex R. Mosteo <alejan...@mosteo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down
>
> I stopped using a newsreader for comp.lang.ada (emacs with gnus,
> namely) only when my stupid ISP stopped providing NNTP support.
> Unfortunately, all other ISPs where I live did the same. I would
> gladly revert to using emacs if given the chance.

Indeed, the sad state of nntp servers is certainly a hurdle. My ISP has a
news server, but it's so unreliable as to be folly to use it; you lose half
the discussion. I'm actually paying for a text-only news service.

http://news.individual.net/

But I have just read the post from Simon which looks great. When I started
subscribing I couldn't find any decent free server.

Simon Clubley

Mar 2, 2010, 7:25:53 AM3/2/10
On 2010-03-01, Ludovic Brenta <lud...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

You are welcome - glad I could help.

Another free news server is news.sunsite.dk, now renamed to
http://dotsrc.org/usenet/ . While they are free, they only carry a limited
set of groups such as the comp.* hierarchy. The groups they carry are
listed here:

http://dotsrc.org/usenet/ossgroups/

Simon Wright

Mar 2, 2010, 2:55:16 PM3/2/10
Ludovic Brenta <lud...@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

And thanks from sunny Southsea too!

--S

Björn Persson

Mar 2, 2010, 9:56:50 PM3/2/10
Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> I'm actually paying for a text-only news service.
>
> http://news.individual.net/

That's what I do too. I tried some servers that didn't require registration,
but they were all so overloaded that they were unbearably slow.
News.individual.net is responsive and stable, and the fee of ten euros per
year is negligible.

--
Bj�rn Persson
PGP key A88682FD

Alex R. Mosteo

Mar 3, 2010, 6:35:12 AM3/3/10
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Alex R. Mosteo wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> > I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
>> > mailing list[1] with web archives[2].
>>
>> I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
>> convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner.
>> Can I go ahead and request its addition?
>
> Sure. I suppose you are referring to [1]. I don't know about that
> procedure, so I'd be interested in details if you have any to share.

FYI, the new group has been created and can be found in gmane servers as

gmane.linux.debian.packages.ada

Alex.