Big differences between gnatmake and gprbuild

Doug Telford

Dec 26, 2021, 8:39:46 PM12/26/21
I am using gnatmake 9.3.0 and gprbuild community edition 2021. The Ada executable from gnatmake is about 50% smaller than that of gprbuild and runs much slower than the gprbuild version. Is gnatmake deprecated, obsolete, or not maintained?

Gautier write-only address

Dec 27, 2021, 1:19:28 AM12/27/21
> I am using gnatmake 9.3.0 and gprbuild community edition 2021. The Ada executable from gnatmake is about 50% smaller than that of gprbuild and runs much slower than the gprbuild version. Is gnatmake deprecated, obsolete, or not maintained?

It looks like the compiler, linker & binder options that, in your case, gnatmake sends to GNAT, are different than those gprbuild sends, especially optimization options.
What are the command line options to gnatmake you are using ? And to gprbuild ?
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address
Message has been deleted

Doug Telford

Dec 27, 2021, 10:51:38 AM12/27/21
I think part of the problem is the version of gnatmake. Version 9.3.0 is vintage 2019. I am not sure how I got this version. When I use the gnat community 2021 version of gnatmake, then everything was ok.

Simon Wright

Dec 27, 2021, 12:02:32 PM12/27/21
Doug Telford <doug7...@gmail.com> writes:

> I think part of the problem is the version of gnatmake. Version 9.3.0
> is vintage 2019. I am not sure how I got this version. When I use
> the gnat community 2021 version of gnatmake, then everything was ok.

If you give current gnatmake a project file, it will delegate to
gprbuild if it's present.