for info: re macOS Ventura and GNAT

Bill Findlay

Nov 1, 2022, 3:18:52 PM11/1/22
I installed Ventura on my (Intel) MBP and it went perfectly,
with GNAT and fpc working as expected.

Emboldened, I then put it on my (Intel) iMac, my workhorse machine.

On reboot both GNAT (FSF 12.2.0) and fpc compilations failed.

GNAT failed because /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin
had been emptied of everything useful.

To fix it I had to completely re-install CommandLineTools,
which was more difficult than it should have been because
I had been removed from the sudoers file. 8-(

GNAT now runs again, using the newly-installed CLT software,
and the exception-handling bug that appeared with the recent
XCode update has not made a re-appearance.

fpc failed because it could not find libc any more,
so I had to edit my build procedure to tell it where to look
(i.e. /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/).

--
Bill Findlay

Roger Mc

Nov 7, 2022, 6:15:09 PM11/7/22
Congratulations on Getting GNAT to work.
I am not having any success.
Everything fails with
gcc: error trying to exec 'gnat1': execvp: No such file or directory
For example:
Roger@Rogers-Mac-mini iris % gnatmake src/iris.adb
gcc -c -Isrc/ -I- src/iris.adb
gcc: error trying to exec 'gnat1': execvp: No such file or directory
gnatmake: "src/iris.adb" compilation error

Same trying to compile a simple C program:
Roger@Rogers-Mac-mini /tmp % gcc /tmp/foo.c -o /tmp/foo
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory

Mac OSX 13.0 (22A380)
Xcode Version 14.1 (14B47b)
GNAT Community 2019 (20190517-83)
Latest Command Line Tools installed

Any ideas on what's going wrong or how to fix it?
Thanks,
Roger