ANN: SweetAda on github

Gabriele Galeotti

Jul 30, 2021, 7:52:54 PM7/30/21

Hi all.

SweetAda has now a home in GitHub.
You can reach it @ https://github.com/gabriele-galeotti/SweetAda.

SweetAda is a lightweight development framework to create Ada systems on a wide range of machines. Please refer to https://www.sweetada.org.

SweetAda is now licensed under the terms of the MIT license.
RTS and LibGCC files keep their original license, which is a GCC
runtime library exception 3.1.

I've also building a new toolchain release, based on GCC 11.1.0, which will be uploaded in the next days both at SourceForge and SweetAda.org.

The committed branch has some minor changes from the last v0.8 package, and new interesting features, like the possibility to compile the RTS directly from sources, and a fully usability in an MSYS2 environment (for MSYS2 first download the new toolchain and be sure to select only the items you're interested in, because the build script is querying the Makefile and is very slow under that environment).

Yet I have very scarce time, and the documentation is thus painfully incomplete. But do not hesitate to ask.

Shark8

Aug 2, 2021, 8:44:11 PM8/2/21
On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 5:52:54 PM UTC-6, Gabriele Galeotti wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> SweetAda has now a home in GitHub.
> You can reach it @ https://github.com/gabriele-galeotti/SweetAda.
Very Nice!
> SweetAda is a lightweight development framework to create Ada systems on a wide range of machines. Please refer to https://www.sweetada.org.
>
> SweetAda is now licensed under the terms of the MIT license.
Oh, this is excellent news.
> RTS and LibGCC files keep their original license, which is a GCC
> runtime library exception 3.1.
Is this with the generic-instantiation exception, or am I thinking of a different license?
> I've also building a new toolchain release, based on GCC 11.1.0, which will be uploaded in the next days both at SourceForge and SweetAda.org.
>
> The committed branch has some minor changes from the last v0.8 package, and new interesting features, like the possibility to compile the RTS directly from sources, and a fully usability in an MSYS2 environment (for MSYS2 first download the new toolchain and be sure to select only the items you're interested in, because the build script is querying the Makefile and is very slow under that environment).
How integral is MSYS2 to everything?
> Yet I have very scarce time, and the documentation is thus painfully incomplete. But do not hesitate to ask.
Thank you for the time and effort you have put in.
It is an impressive work.

Stéphane Rivière

Aug 3, 2021, 2:34:48 AM8/3/21
Hi Gabriele,

I definitly have to test your next release, hope August is the right
moment...

All the best,

Stéphane

Gabriele Galeotti

Aug 3, 2021, 4:46:22 AM8/3/21
> Is this with the generic-instantiation exception, or am I thinking of a different license?

RTS source files and some LibGCC assembly files are, more or less, exact copies of the
FSF GCC release, plus some patches. So I've reported their licenses as highlighted
in their headers:

"This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option) any
later version.
This file is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
General Public License for more details.
Under Section 7 of GPL version 3, you are granted additional
permissions described in the GCC Runtime Library Exception, version
3.1, as published by the Free Software Foundation."

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't want to hurt anyone, so I've hust tried to stay in a
"maximum correctness mode", reporting licenses verbatim.

But I think that the whole SweetAda hierarchy, due to this, is practically under
the MIT license, and has no limitations.

Corrections welcome.

> How integral is MSYS2 to everything?

SweetAda does work in a windoz environment just in plain cmd shell (with the aid
of PowerShell), because the package includes a port of make, grep and sed utilities.

MSYS2 (or Cygwin), plus the dos2unix utility, is required only to rebuild the RTS,
because the script is currently Bash-only. So if you are a windoz guy and you want
to use a clone from the github repository, you need it.
The bad news: MSYS2 is extremely slow in processing scripts.

Obviously SweetAda works much better in a Linux environment, because this is my native
environment. OS X should work ok, but it is increasingly difficult for me to make toolchains
in that environment (there are problems indeed), and I am limited to check things
in a VM-hosted machine.

Gabriele Galeotti

Aug 3, 2021, 4:53:08 AM8/3/21
Don't worry, my SweetAda agenda is already full for years to come.

Gabriele Galeotti

Aug 3, 2021, 8:27:16 AM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 8:34:48 AM UTC+2, Stéphane Rivière wrote:
>Don't worry, my SweetAda agenda is already full for years to come.

I mean: ok, thank you Stéphan.
Take all the time you need.