Graph database client? eg Neo4j, Dgraph ...

Olivier Henley

Dec 12, 2018, 9:04:15 AM12/12/18
Hi to all,

Anyone knows of an initiative at providing a Neo4j() Ada client? Or any other graph db really...

As most of you probably know, graph db are best to represent many-to-many relationships, eg. twitter social mapping (follow-followed) is probably using such representation.

Neo4j (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo4j)
-client communicates through their Bolt protocol, which seems pretty straightforward (https://boltprotocol.org/v1/)

Another one of interest is Dgraph (https://docs.dgraph.io/)
-client communicate either through grpc(which requires protocol buffers) or REST endpoint

Someone unrolled its own Ada one..?

Anyway, I'm asking as raising awareness.

Thx!

Shark8

Dec 13, 2018, 6:15:08 PM12/13/18
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 7:04:15 AM UTC-7, Olivier Henley wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> Anyone knows of an initiative at providing a Neo4j() Ada client? Or any other graph db really...

There is/was an all-Ada graph-DB called Mneson -- Archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070625173813/http://www.liacc.up.pt/~maa/mneson/ -- of which I have a copy of two versions. I was trying to translate them so that instead of the containers dependency ["Charles Containers", IIRC] they would use the Ada.Containers.* packages instead.

Olivier Henley

Dec 14, 2018, 8:00:00 PM12/14/18
Thx! I communicated with the author to bring this code on github. More to come.

Shark8

Dec 16, 2018, 1:23:47 PM12/16/18
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:00:00 PM UTC-7, Olivier Henley wrote:

> Thx! I communicated with the author to bring this code on github. More to come.

Wait, really!?
I thought I tried a few years back and couldn't get ahold of him... I'd definitely love to be able talk with him about some ideas for an Ada DB system that I have, as well as update Mneson to use the Ada.Containers packages.

This is excellent news, IME.

Shark8

Aug 20, 2019, 11:13:36 AM8/20/19
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:00:00 PM UTC-7, Olivier Henley wrote:
Did the code ever make it to github?
Did anything else ever happen here?

Olivier Henley

Aug 20, 2019, 12:07:14 PM8/20/19
Sorry, never had time to make this happen. I was very motivated but other things more pressing came along.

Maybe you could, if you have time. It would be great.

Thanks,

Olivier

p.s: There is some very interesting work already existing on that subject in the default/latest distro of Parasail. Maybe it is worth considering prior to any bigger effort.

Marius Amado-Alves

Dec 22, 2022, 8:16:08 AM12/22/22
> > > There is/was an all-Ada graph-DB called Mneson -- Archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070625173813/http://www.liacc.up.pt/~maa/mneson/ -- of which I have a copy of two versions. I was trying to translate them so that instead of the containers dependency ["Charles Containers", IIRC] they would use the Ada.Containers.* packages instead.
> >
> > Thx! I communicated with the author to bring this code on github. More to come.
> Did the code ever make it to github?
> Did anything else ever happen here?

Yes, after 17 years in the refrigerator the code is now on github, including an adaptation to build on present GNAT:

https://github.com/marius-linguist/Mneson

sany...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2023, 3:30:53 PM12/24/23
@Marius
Great! Thanks! Could use this along with other libraries in my Ada teaching classes.
Also use your slides along with Noe4j handbook for extension

God blesses!!!

Regards